Loch Trail Loop

Loch Trail Loop is a 4.3 mile moderately trafficked loop trail located near Ben Lomond, California that features a lake and is rated as moderate. The trail offers a number of activity options and is best used from March until October. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

Distance: 4.3 miles Elevation Gain: 853 feet Route Type: Loop

paddle sports

Explore the wonders of Loch Lomond hiking trails, the Maclaren Loop offers redwood and oak forest as well as views of the lake. Open daily from March 1 to Labor Day Open weekends only Labor day - October

Bring bug spray! The flies and nats were sooo annoying throughout the whole trail. I went counter clockwise, the trail is a bit overgrown at the beginning, lots of fallen trees and branches. The trail can be steep and sandy/rocky. The top view was beautiful! You can see the lake and the hillside. The walk by the lake was tight and narrow at times, watch your step!

fee

It's a pretty relaxed hike with great views. Good to have friends and chat along. Definitely recommend counter clockwise and end at the reservoir. Take a bug spray along and stay covered.

Many bugs but beautiful scenery!

Could be nice hike but the bugs swarming and buzzing in the ears made it very unpleasant even with DEET. Maybe it's just the Aug 13 timing? Or midweek and not enough other hikers to feed on? Or it's better if you're running or have headphones in your ears? Wouldn't go again without a head net? Wound up fanning myself with hat or map for much of the trail just to clear air. Have had many other more pleasant redwood hikes this season. Nice finish at lake with a breeze to clear the air.

Great pet friendly hike along a reservoir. Well shaded trail, with lots of parking. Take a bug spray along. The suggestion to do the loop counter clock wise was definitely a great tip, because that's the steepest part. Having worked up a sweat in the first half of the hike, we took a hammock break by the redwood lined shore of the lake. People were canoeing, fishing and BBQ-ing at the picnic spots too. A good quick workout hike!

Great dog friendly trail. The counter clockwise loop, finishing by the lake, is my preferred route! Great views. Can get a bit busy down by the lake.

Definitely recommend going counter clockwise. Great views at the top and relaxing walk along the water at the end. No one mentioned poison oak but there was a good amount throughout this hike. Fellow hiker had a tick bite on their stomach as well. Would recommend bug spray in the summer.

My 12 year old daughter and I did this trail in the counterclockwise direction as suggested in other reviews. I would agree that this is the best way to complete the loop. The first 1 1/2 miles is pretty steep and consists of mostly two track fire trails, but once you reach the top, near a cyclone fenced antenna, there is s picnic table where we enjoyed amazing views of the lake and had a leisurely lunch. The trail back down to the lake is not nearly so steep (when going counterclockwise) and was an easy walk to another picnic area at the lake, which includes a small dock, where we cooled our feet in the lake. The remainder of the loop hugs the shoreline and has beautiful scenery throughout. Happy Hiking

Great walk along the lake, lots of varying surroundings

only private access, no trail

Mon Sep 24 2018

Agree with all the other reviews that the views of the lake are beautiful. Would recommend reversing the direction to end along the lake which would provide the best for last.

Tue Aug 14 2018

Beautiful place, so quite. We took foldable chairs and sat next to the lake. We went there with our dog as well. We’ll definitely return!

Mon Jul 16 2018

Great views. Tip: $8 parking fee and opened seasonally

Sat Jun 02 2018

Somewhat crowded. Started out as a fishing trip, ended up walking the loop.

Sat Apr 14 2018

Mon Apr 02 2018

Amazing views and a good workout for a beginner like me. Some steep parts but manageable. We seen deer, wild turkeys and a banana slug! Lots of places to have a picnic and good pricing for boat rentals. Definitely coming back here again.

Sun Apr 01 2018

Such a beautiful hike. We did the highland loop trail; it was very peaceful and had lots to offer with views at the top looking down on the reservoir and stops along the shoreline. The trail is dog friendly, but don’t count on letting them go for a swim, they have strict rules.

Tue Feb 13 2018

Please note that there is SEASONAL ACCESS ONLY from March 1 to Labor Day, with weekend access through mid October. I really wish AllTrails noted seasonal closures, as so few of my area parks are closed that I didn't think to check. We drove an hour and a half and it was closed. The description should not say "best used..." it should say "open only..."

Mon Oct 23 2017

Nice lake in the middle of a beautiful redwood forest. Lots of fishermen the first half mile of the trail, but after that we had the rest of the trail all to ourselves.

Sun Oct 01 2017

Absolutely beautiful. Definitely one of my all time favorites.

Mon Sep 18 2017

Long shaded redwood trail. Quite steep elevation climbs in short spurts. Wonderful lake views, can’t wait to come back and rent a small boat and go fishing!

Thu Aug 24 2017

I lost my cellphone on the trail today. Galaxy s5. please call 720-233-7026. thanks!

Sun Aug 13 2017

A great hike with the dog. It get's busy on weekend afternoons so I recommend going early. The resovor is beautiful and full of wild life.

Mon Jul 24 2017

Easy hike did the loop starting from the end point You can also rent some fishing boat and explore Around nice for barbecue as well

Sun Jul 23 2017

Lived in Santa Cruz 10 years and never knew this place was up here! Went the counter-clockwise route as suggested. Took the Glen trails to Big Trees trail to Highland trail around to Loch trail back to the park store, total of 5 miles. Mosquitoes were SWARMING!! kinda of a drag but I was prepared with Doterra Terra shield bug repellent and not one bite.