Loch Leven Lakes Trail

Loch Leven Lakes Trail is a 8.1 mile heavily trafficked out and back trail located near Norden, California that features a lake and is rated as moderate. The trail offers a number of activity options and is best used from May until October. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

Distance: 8.1 miles Elevation Gain: 1,545 feet Route Type: Out & Back

NOTE: This trail may vary in difficulty depending on the trail conditions, such as snowy or melting snow conditions. High alpine lakes aplenty in the Tahoe National Forest. Located directly of Interstate 80 this trail will have you hiking deep into the Tahoe National Forest in no time, in search of scenic high alpine Sierra Nevada lakes. Because this trail needs to be tackled during the summer and fall months to avoid winter conditions this popular trail can get quite busy, but the hike still remains a worthwhile trip.

Lake view is great specially in the morning when wind is not blowing. You will see reflection of the trees in the lake. Trail is bit confusing because of rocks, not easy to see where we are going.

Great views on this trail, snow present however most melted by the time we turned back. Would recommend solid boots for this as it was very slick upon descent. In all would recommend

Trail is very rocky, so wear good shoes. I downloaded the map from this app and glad I did. As others have said, the first section is hard to follow at times and this was very helpful! I’m not sure that the signs at the trailhead are accurate- my watch said almost 5 miles when we hit the last lake. 9.83 miles round trip.

The lakes are amazing. The trail is hard to follow in places and the All Trails app is very helpful.

Steep and rocky at times but beautiful! Not an easy hike but completely worth it. The three lakes are beautiful and peaceful. Get there early so you can spend more time at the lakes. Lots of wildflowers the first weekend of September too!

Great trail. In decent shape and improved over when I did it a few years ago. The first mile can be tricky to follow due to parts of the trail being on open rock but generally not too bad. Lakes are beautiful especially Upper Loch Leven. I was on the trail by 9:30AM on a Saturday in early September and wasn’t too crowded. Also went to Salmon Lake which adds 2 miles but definitely well worth it(the sign says .7miles to the lake but that’s just to a trail junction, it’s another .3 from the junction to the lake).. it’s a really pretty trail. There were still wildflowers on that trail and the lake is beautiful and more so there was no one there.

Walked this early September (8th). The first mile or so over exposed granite is stunning, but there are times when it's unclear which direction the trail is headed in. Once past this first mile, and over the railroad tracks, the trail is very clear and easy to follow. The next section up through forest is nice enough. Keep going, and the final approach towards the lales makes it all worth while. Stunning mountain lake scenery. We ate lunch at the second lake. With respect to other reviews that mention trash and doggy bags, we saw none. There must have been a clean up. We passed maybe ten people the whole time.

Clear trailhead with parking along the road and a small lot. A good amount of sun at the entry/exit of the hike. The water was perfect (Labor Day Weekend). Medium to heavy traffic, to be expected on a 3-day weekend. There were a fair amount of flies in any older/standing water in the rocks, but not too many mosquitos. Definitely want some good grip shoes.

This has always been one of my favorite hikes. Hiking shoes or shoes with good grip are really recommended due to the rocks and rock beds you climb. This time we started at 11 on a Sunday and while there were a few coming down it wasn’t crowded. I also saw no trash around, middle and Upper lakes are my favorite to swim in. The lakes are beautiful I’m wondering where some people are starting because each time my crew and I go, our fitbit and other trackers show a total of 11 or 12 miles round trip from where we start, climb, traverse, up to and around the 3 lakes and back. All trails says 8.1.?

Way overcrowded with dog poop bags along the trails along with toilet paper. Lakes are ok but as stated in other reviews, lots of trash from campers who don’t care. Probably was a nice place 30yrs ago but now it’s just gross like the bay area people that are thrashing it. Leave no trace!

Good trail, not too crowded. Rocky - make sure you have good shoes! Can hear the freeway at some points. Lots of shade.

The trail up there was too long for what it is. The lakes are just alright. We had to just pass the first two lakes to find a spot along the shore that wasn’t occupied. When we got to the upper lake there was a screaming baby across the lake and you could still faintly hear semi trucks roaring down I-80.

I see other people selected "rocky" as a trail condition but didn't thoroughly explain. Picture hiking uphill in a dry stream bed. I didn't go to the upper lake, but the middle lake was gorgeous. Very busy on an August Saturday, especially after noon.

Fellow hikers & backpackers: WE NEED TO DO BETTER. I saw way too much Toilet Paper on trail and lots of trash left over in fire rings, and micro trash on trail. PACK OUT ALL OF YOUR TRASH. So much foil and remnants of trash in fire pits is NOT ok. You are not supposed to burn your trash in fire rings. Just pack it out, it’s not that hard. Also, there is no trash service at the trailhead. So don’t leave your trash in the bathrooms! We started our hike Saturday afternoon (noon-ish) and there was a forest service employee cleaning the restrooms. We finished our trip Sunday morning around 10 am and one of the bathrooms was trashed! Clean up after yourselves, folks! Our forest service employees are overworked and underpaid and it’s not their job to clean up your trash! Go educate yourself on Leave No Trace principles (lnt.org) if you are unfamiliar with the concept. Let’s keep our wilderness beautiful! Otherwise, lakes are gorgeous, the hike is moderately crowded, and if you’re backpacking on a Saturday, get there earlier rather than later.

Bring lunch, and pick your favorite lake. Loved this trail!

Sweet place to hike in and camp.

We love this trail, we haven’t made it all the way to the end yet but so far so good! Lots of people on weekends but during the week it’s quiet. Plenty of free parking available and restrooms at the start of the trial. Sometimes no TP just fyi. It’s a little harder then moderate in my opinion just because of the climb but not too hard! Also hiking shoes are a must for this hike.

I absolutely love this hike! It's pretty tough but worth it! The lakes are so beautiful and it's never too crowded out there. Trail is well marked once you get up over the granite. Take your swim suit and a lunch! Pro tip: bring some coins to leave on the tracks when you cross over on the way up and look for them when you come back down. The kids love this hike for this reason.

This trail is a lot of uphill right off the bat! 3 lakes once you hit the top, all fairly close to each other. Nice scenery. You could hear the freeway on most of the trail, even at the upper lake I could hear the large trucks very faintly. So many people on this trail though! I went on a Friday, passed about 20 day hikers, and passed 17 backpackers on their way in as I hiked out. While I was relaxing at the upper lake, I could hear a large group of children screaming and yelling from down the trail (a group I passed on the way out told me two busses full of kids had been dropped off). So all in all not a bad hike, but if you're looking to enjoy the quiet and solitude of the wilderness this is not the place for that!