EveryTrail is now a part of AllTrails! Please click here to read more.

Loch Leven Lakes Trail

Loch Leven Lakes Trail is a 7.3 mile moderately trafficked out and back trail located near Norden, California that features a lake and is rated as difficult. The trail offers a number of activity options and is best used from May until October. Dogs are also able to use this trail.

High alpine lakes aplenty in the Tahoe National Forest. Located directly of Interstate 80 this trail will have you hiking deep into the Tahoe National Forest in no time, in search of scenic high alpine Sierra Nevada lakes. Because this trail needs to be tackled during the summer and fall months to avoid winter conditions this popular trail can get quite busy, but the hike still remains a worthwhile trip. Elevation gain: - 1,250ft (from 5,800 - 6,900ft)

Great hike, but quite difficult given the amount of snow if you aren't prepared. You won't want/need snow shoes, but crampons / ice cleats will make this hike much easier and doable.

The lakes are full of snow but still very beautiful. Lots of little waterfalls everywhere. Bring sunglasses!!! I forgot mine and was seriously regretting this oversight.

Today was tricky and challenging because there is still sooo much snow and as you get closer to the top of the mountainside after the train tracks, it got very mushy and slippery so we had to stop. Even though we didn't make it to the lakes this time, it was beautiful and a perfect day. We did see a rubber boa - exciting! The navigation was pretty difficult on the early part of the trail and then again through the snow, not sure how we would have made it without downloading the AllTrails map and tracking our progress on it. Can't wait to get up there again after some snow melts!

skiing

I am not ready for hard trails but was able to make my way almost to the top and back. I had a blast. I am looking forward in trying this trail again and making it all the way in and out after i achieve more in weight loss and get more in shape and have hiked more trails. the weather today was gorgous.

Beautiful

This is just a great hike. It's simple yet strenuous at times especially in getting to the first lake. But once you're there you forget all the muscle aches.

Classic high Sierra Nevada terrain and a great day hike. Parking is free and the trail head rather easy to find. The trail is marked but I suggest a map (as always) because it is easy to get off the trail. I rarely worry about "the trail" and we actually got off of it to climb the rocky peaks. Yes, I would recommend .

Super fun trail! The first mile or so is a killer because it's straight up but after you get warmed up its awesome. I really really enjoyed this trail. The only downside to it was every now and then we would loose the trail. overall this is definitely one of my favorites.

This hike starts with some rocky terrain on big granite surfaced which create a nice moon surface like feel and then passes through some fir and juniper forest with ferns below. A relatively steep ascent over the ridge follows but the lakes are well worth the effort.

Hiked late September in 2016. Got caught up in rain on day 1 (pretty fierce storm caused flash flood warnings in the morning). Had the trail and High Loch Leven all to ourselves that night. While on the trail, keep your eyes peeled for cairns and bright orange spray paint on the boulders. Only at one point between Upper and High did I panic when the trail took a near 90 degree turn to the right and I couldn't see it. At that point, we back tracked, calmed our nerves and tried again ( I hope the cairn I made is still there, LOL). Day 2 was clear and beautiful with a pleasant hike back out. One of my favorite trails. We plan to return and try the trip via Salmon Lake trail.

Was a goodum steep heading up took me about 2-1/2 hrs to get to furthest lake but only about 35 minutes to get back down to my truck at trailhead

Definitely my favorite so far in tahoe. Despite being a climb the first couple miles it's not too far and you have a choice of a few lakes to camp at.

Gets crowded in the summer but you can have campfires and there's no permit required.

Trail can be confusing to follow at times. Just look for the stacked rocks.