Loch Leven Lakes Trail

Loch Leven Lakes Trail is a 7.3 mile moderately trafficked out and back trail located near Norden, California that features a lake and is rated as difficult. The trail offers a number of activity options and is best used from May until October. Dogs are also able to use this trail.

High alpine lakes aplenty in the Tahoe National Forest. Located directly of Interstate 80 this trail will have you hiking deep into the Tahoe National Forest in no time, in search of scenic high alpine Sierra Nevada lakes. Because this trail needs to be tackled during the summer and fall months to avoid winter conditions this popular trail can get quite busy, but the hike still remains a worthwhile trip. Elevation gain: - 1,250ft (from 5,800 - 6,900ft)

This is a great trail but there were a lot of people out today. There are still many snow fields the higher your climb but nothing to crazy and the foot traffic makes it hard to get lost. Up at the lakes, the ground is super saturated and a couple inches deep at some spots.

Hard but worthwhile. There is still a lot of snow after 1.3 miles and the trail is literally a stream. Expect to walk on rocks and boulders, use your hiking poles for the snow and enjoy the beauty of the waterfalls and lakes.

Great hike, but quite difficult given the amount of snow if you aren't prepared. You won't want/need snow shoes, but crampons / ice cleats will make this hike much easier and doable.

The lakes are full of snow but still very beautiful. Lots of little waterfalls everywhere. Bring sunglasses!!! I forgot mine and was seriously regretting this oversight.

Today was tricky and challenging because there is still sooo much snow and as you get closer to the top of the mountainside after the train tracks, it got very mushy and slippery so we had to stop. Even though we didn't make it to the lakes this time, it was beautiful and a perfect day. We did see a rubber boa - exciting! The navigation was pretty difficult on the early part of the trail and then again through the snow, not sure how we would have made it without downloading the AllTrails map and tracking our progress on it. Can't wait to get up there again after some snow melts!

skiing

I am not ready for hard trails but was able to make my way almost to the top and back. I had a blast. I am looking forward in trying this trail again and making it all the way in and out after i achieve more in weight loss and get more in shape and have hiked more trails. the weather today was gorgous.

Beautiful

This is just a great hike. It's simple yet strenuous at times especially in getting to the first lake. But once you're there you forget all the muscle aches.

Classic high Sierra Nevada terrain and a great day hike. Parking is free and the trail head rather easy to find. The trail is marked but I suggest a map (as always) because it is easy to get off the trail. I rarely worry about "the trail" and we actually got off of it to climb the rocky peaks. Yes, I would recommend .

Super fun trail! The first mile or so is a killer because it's straight up but after you get warmed up its awesome. I really really enjoyed this trail. The only downside to it was every now and then we would loose the trail. overall this is definitely one of my favorites.

This hike starts with some rocky terrain on big granite surfaced which create a nice moon surface like feel and then passes through some fir and juniper forest with ferns below. A relatively steep ascent over the ridge follows but the lakes are well worth the effort.