Learn more

Little Yosemite via Canyon View Trail

moderateYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarGray Star(204)
Sunol Wilderness Regional Preserve

Little Yosemite via Canyon View Trail is a 3 mile out and back trail located near Sunol, California that features beautiful wild flowers and is rated as moderate. The trail is primarily used for hiking, walking, running, and nature trips. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

Distance: 3.0 miles Elevation Gain: 613 feet Route Type: Out & Back

havnt hike in such a long time. the first peak is the only semi hard one. make sure to bring icey cold water. we started at 840 am and it is already sunny and hot. near the creek. dip our feets to cool down.

Really enjoyed this trail a lot I loved the views from the beginning to end. I wouldn’t say this was moderate I would put this under Hard. Still worth a hike

Very easy hike. Only one mile in and you reach the waterfall. Saw a lot of ppl bringing their dogs but I’m assuming they went off to another trail since getting to the waterfall is not very easy for you to take your dog but if you have kids, your kiddos would love this location! Small and short but really cute

The fire road trail in the beginning was meh, but we got to splash a bit in the water at Little Yosemite. We then took the Canyon Trail Ciew on the way back and it had some stunning views (and a lot more shade).

Lovely area to walk but we're here on Sunday 6/7 and waiting in line. Only letting cars in as others leave. Be prepared to wait an hour or more it says!

The walk along the river and seeing the waterfalls was nice, but my favorite part was the single track through the rolling hills. There were barely any people on a Tuesday.

fee

Beautiful place to spend your day. Heavily wooded and multiple trails to go explore. What I love is the leaves during fall and all the different streams we have. Hike itself is mostly moderate. There are a lot of grazing cows and some of them seemed aggressive. Still recommend

This a beautiful park. I have been to it many times before. FYI all entrances are currently closed (4/13/20) due to the shelter in place order. Signs say no trespassing. So I don’t recommend going at this time.

parking at the furthest lot (by bathrooms) and walk up ohlone trail to Little Yosemite (climb down is challenging and best to visit before June or hot weather arrives because the water get stinky as it's more stagnet) then break left on dirt trail at outhouse area. It loops back to parking area, just under 3 miles or so.

This is a lovely trail to hike, you'll get a workout on much of it! Green hills make it beautiful this time of year. We stopped many times to take pics of the valley, the falls, even sat by the pond half way to the falls and watched the turtles swim! Plenty of parking, no fees right now. Lots and lots of people though. Everyone wanting fresh air and something to do. Still, a lovely place to hike and walk!

This trail is very sunny so it is perfect for the 60 degree weather we are having now. The hills were nice and green. I did the hike counter clockwise and the first half was a bit boring, but up over the canyon on the second half there were beautiful views.

Very beautiful, if you take the Canyon View Trail. We started by the SRW Visitor Center, and finished at 4.2 miles. Someone mentioned taking the McCorkle Trail detour, and I think that would’ve been the better route, but, I thought we were crunches for time, so we skipped the extra mileage. We accidentally turned onto Cerro Este Road, which was a shortcut, essentially, but I wanted to stick to the Canyon View Trail, and honestly, you don’t have to. I was just really annoyed with the Geary Rd portion honestly. Such a beautiful hike through the hillside, filled with cows, but Geary Rd really took away from it. But the River was nice. I guess I didn’t really understand what Little Yosemite we were looking for either. Is the concept basically like “Little Italy?” Cause I didn’t see anything that stood out that made me think “wow! Little Yosemite.” I’m not writing this hike off yet, cause I didn’t get nearly as much time as I wanted here! Just will be sure to avoid the main road.

Sun Jun 23 2019

I personally loved this hike for the reward at the end. I actually took this trail be accident. I was trying to take the easy one but somehow got on this one. Kinda tough since I have asthma and forgot my inhaler but WONDERFUL views. $5 parking by the way. (If you want the easy one drive as far back as you can easy walk from there)

Beautiful location for a hike. Little Yosemite was above my expectation. Get here early to avoid the heat

Thu May 30 2019

It’s a great trail I highly recommend it !!! Beautiful sceneries and views and the waterfall was just stunning and impressive to see.Great for a afternoon hike that’s not too strenuous or difficult but will definitely give you a bit of work out . dog also enjoyed it very very much as well

Sun Apr 28 2019

a little warm for the dog.... but a nice trail. Great falls in one section (little Yosemite)

Nice views. Moderate workout, elevated right in the beginning.

Sat Mar 30 2019

Tue Aug 21 2018

My wife and I went in the evening on Sunday with our dog and it was great. The uphill at the beginning can definitely get your legs warmed up. At the end you can go to little Yosemite which is a nice spot for a dip in the little pools. Our dog loved it and played in the water to cool off. The walk back around 7pm (golden hour) was especially great as the light hits the hills and really brings out the beauty of the land. Highly recommended doing this during the evening, we also walked by a small herd of cows which was cool way to end the hike. During our time here we only encountered a handful of people and the dog is able to be off leash on the trail which is great.