Little Lakes Valley to Gem Lakes

Little Lakes Valley to Gem Lakes is a 7.2 mile heavily trafficked out and back trail located near Bishop, California that features a lake and is rated as moderate. The trail offers a number of activity options and is best used from June until October. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

A day hike from the Mosquito Flat trailhead through the Little lakes valley to Morgan Pass. Little lakes valley hike is a beautiful day hike in the eastern sierra that takes you through scenic lakes formed by snow melt. It is a moderately strenuous hike, not due of the elevation gain, but because of being above 10000ft. The trail starts from the Mosquito flat trail head, located at the end of Rock Creek Road, about 10 miles from Hwy 395. The trailhead is at an elevation of 10000+ft, so acclimatization at high altitudes will definitely help.

Didn't know it was a difficult trail until now. I struggled but I can say I did it. Went all the way to Gem Lake. Gorgeous!

Great easy hike! So many lakes and great views. You have to make it to the end at Gem Lakes

Excellent views . Highly recommend it

One of our favorite hikes You pass Mack, Marsh, Heart, Box & Long lake before you reach a short side trip to Chicken Foot Lake at 10,789. A side trip around Gem Lakes is a great stopping point for a quick dip and lunch before getting back on the trail and heading up to Morgan Pass. We couldn't resist "the bear goes over the mountain" temptation to see what we could see. All we saw was more mountains to climb, so we headed back...

The best!!!

Awesome scenery on this one!

Beautiful hike, easy one night backpacking. The temperature dropped to 32 degrees at night. Also mosquitoes were insane so be prepared. You need to have a strong repellent and mosquitoes nets would be very helpful

Absolutely beautiful! There were a lot of day hikers but only saw a few that were staying overnight. Definitely one to add to the list.

Most amazing views. Definitely worth going!

June 3rd hike. Like most, had to turn back at Chicken Foot the snow was too much for us. I'll be back soon though. This hike is a must do!

Great hike. When you start there is a fork. Go LEFT for Morgan Pass for this hike. Just before you get to Long Lake, there is a river crossing. It has stepping stones, but on 3rd June, you had to put your feet under water to cross it. Luckily we were wearing waterproof boots thanks to a recommendation from a guy who hiked on Memorial Day Weekend. Then once at Long Lake, there were snow patches on the path that you had to trudge through. We didn't quite make it to Gem Lake, because the snow was up to our knees. Up to the fork for Chicken Foot Lake was ok.

a lovely hike with so many beautiful lakes, still snowy up towards Morgan pass, but glad we came. hiked on June 2, 2018.

Beautiful hike!

Wow, just amazing!! I just did this hike this morning, 5/27/2018. Memorial Day weekend. The temperature was 35F at the trailhead at 8:30am, but it honestly didn’t feel bad at all. I imagine in the summer the parking spots would all be taken by this time. But today there were plenty. The hike is not really very hard or strenuous. Just the altitude can be an issue for some. I would definitely wear some boots that are water proof or resistant. I did see quite a few people wearing tennis shoes and I’m sure their feet were soaked. There was a lot of runoff from the snow along the trail so it was a little sloppy. And there’s at least one decent river crossing where you’re feet are bound to get wet. There were lots of patches of snow along the way, and by the time I was at Long Lake the entire trail was basically snow covered. And it’s deep. It was cold enough that the snow was pretty packed, but I did have many post-hole instances. I trudged along in the snow until I reached Chickenfoot Lake and then turned around. The snow was just too much. But overall one of the most beautiful hikes I’ve ever done! Coming back I ran into the crowds of people just coming up. Most of them seem to stop at Long Lake and fish and picnic. Do this hike! You won’t regret it.

Gorgeous hike! Stunning vistas. When we started the gate wasn’t open, but it is now. Lucky hikers can park and start right at the trailhead!
We had hiking shoes and were fine, but micro spikes would have worked well today, -still large spots with snow, though melting quickly. Snowshoes as you get deeper would surely come in handy. We turned back 3 miles in (we started late) but I imagine our shoes would have taken us all the way. Just be careful as the snow is melting and it’s easier to fall through.

Truly a "gem" of a hike - the views are spectacular! Starting at 10K, but not a lot of elevation gain in the hike. Did this over the summer, but created my account in January, so we did NOT go in the winter!

Great hike! The road to the trailhead is closed due to snow 1.3 miles short of the trailhead. Luckily others had hiked before us so the snow was slightly packed out. When my gps said we were .8 away from gem lake the footprints stopped. The snow was now too deep, in my opinion, to posthole for another mile and it was getting late so we turned around. Still a beautiful hike!

We went up to Bishop for a night with our pup two weeks ago and decided to try our hand at this trail—glad we did. Every turn gave you a new breathtaking view of snow tipped mountains and several lakes. We even saw a few people playing ice hockey on a frozen lake! We aren’t experienced hikers, but the intensity of the trail was doable with a few breaks along the way. Due to a flare up of an old back injury, we turned around with a mile left before the turnaround, unfortunately. It took us about 4 hours for 5.5 miles and the views and experience were definitely worth putting in the miles!

This is a beautiful trail! It is very well maintained and our 5 year old and 9 year old hiked it fine.

Our only issue was initially finding the trail, as many websites hardly mention it.

“From Bishop go North on Highway 395 to Tom’s Place. Follow Rock Creek Road to Mosquito Flat to the end of the paved road where there is plenty of hiker parking.”

Those were the best direction I found. No distances listed.

Very scenic hike, slight incline the ap says it’s “easy” it’s a little harder then easy for beginners but the scenery is absolutely beautiful, the trees, rocks, lakes and mountains are just perfect. Worth your time.

Epic trail def want to start early

This hike was spectacular. Lots of great views. Because of poor planning, we ended up going over Morgan Pass and kept hiking for 2 extra miles. The sign that was SUPPOSED to be directing people to Morgan Pass vs gem lakes was MIA. This caused quite the confusion within our party. We then made our way over to gem lakes and decided to climb the ridge next to the upper lake. (YOLO) overall, great hike, great views, would rate 10/10.

Great vistas. Gorgeous sky, lakes, running streams. Perfect half day hike (we went on up to Morgan pass).

We hiked the trail to Gem Lake this weekend. Temps were great during the day, nights were chilly. We camped and were very cozy in 20 degree bags with no problem. Snow was still present at Gem Lake (11,000 feet). Fish were small but fun to catch. The altitude in addition to our overweight packs kicked our buts and the kids succumbed to a few hours of altitude sickness. I would suggest a day of acclimation if your coming from sea level like we did before carrying 35 lbs up 1000 feet of elevation gains like I did. I was beat at the top. We saw two hikers turn around at the .5 mile mark because the first part is a bit steep if not acclimated. Views were spectacular, trail is beautifully well kept. Lake pristine. Lots of hikers in the first three miles....even Gem Lake at 3.5 miles in had a good number of campers. We had rain showers both days during late afternoon. 3-6 pm. 5 stars for the beauty of the trail. Lots of lakes and creeks to cross. Lots of dogs on trail on and off leash. All were friendly. No water at trailhead. Bring water / water filter device.

Follow Rock Creek Road from 395; it turns into a narrow gravel road, so just stay on the road to the trail head parking lot. Easy trails to nice lake and mountain vistas, so it's probably a good idea to get there early on a weekend. In minutes you get to view Mack Lake, then Heart Lake and Box Lake. Got to shoot pix of the lakes and plenty of wildflowers, which I didn't expect at the end of August. There were some mosquitoes near the lakes and toward dusk; overall a great quick alpine lake fix. Looks like there are plenty of campgrounds on the road into the trailhead.

There are no signs either reaching the trail head or along the trail. You have to know that Little lakes valley trail head is called Mosquito flat trail head. There is no sign along the trail showing either direction or distance. The last mile from Long Lake to Gem lake is steep and difficult. There is no sign for the direction to Gem lakes (on the right). On busy days like Labor day, if you don't reach there by 8 am, you won't find parking. It took us 5 hours(about 3 hours to Gem lakes and 2 hours to come back) to complete the trail(including stopping for pictures), so plan properly. Gem lake is the 6th lake on the trail. although the maps says 7.2 miles, our app calculated 8.5 miles.

Hiked to Lower Morgan 1st then on way back made it to Gem Lakes. Well worth the trip! The turn off to Gem Lakes was moved further up the trail and not as on the recording. Mosquitoes early in the AM but not later in the morning.

Got bit in excess of a dozen times. The mosquitoes bit through my clothes! But areas sprayed with DEET were left alone. A mosquito head net is a good idea. Altitude is definitely a factor, but this affects people differently. If you know you're sensitive, you may want to allow time to acclimate.

There were A LOT of people on this trail. It got really busy by 12p. If you want to get away from crowds, this won't be the hike for you. There's a stream crossing where the trail got washed out. You can either hop on the rocks, some of which are wobbly, or just wade through the shallow-ish water. The trail is wet in other spots, too but easily negotiated.

This is one of the most beautiful hikes anywhere. The lakes and streams combined with the high granite peaks make a creative statement. Enjoy a day in "God's Cathedral"!
My boys and I have been backpacking in this valley for years together. We love exploring the lakes beyond the trail. But beware the mosquitoes are fierce this year!

By far the most beautiful hike I've ever done. Elevation is serious so be prepared and acclimated. However there are so many beautiful lakes and views to enjoy no matter how far you go up.