Little Bald Hills Trail

Little Bald Hills Trail is a 18.2 mile lightly trafficked out and back trail located near Crescent City, California that features beautiful wild flowers and is rated as moderate. The trail offers a number of activity options and is best used from March until October.

Redwood National and State Parks 1111 Second Street Crescent City, CA 95531 By Phone 707-465-7335 By Fax 707-464-1812

My hubby and I backpacked to the campsite and stayed for a night. It was very quiet and beautiful. Saw lots of dwarf irises, and banana slugs. I liked how lush the campsite was. We didn't see any bears. We didn't see any other hikers until we were headed down.

The trail was beautiful. Lots of wild life , including bears .

Started the hike at 10:30 am and the temp was 36 degrees. It probably was colder at the top around 01:00 pm. Any time the trail was exposed it was frozen. Pretty crunchy... The trail climbs about 1600' and out and back to the park boundary is 10 miles. The climb is steady but never really that steep. It's a very steady ascent for about 4 miles. I really enjoyed the trail's variety. The 1st mile or so are nice but small redwoods compared to the rest of the park. After that you go through a lot of different types of forest. The only real negative to me was some parts of the trail had gravel and I much prefer natural surfaces. I never saw another hiker and was very surprised I didn't see Elk or Deer even though I saw signs that they're there. It will be one of my go to hikes in the future and one I highly recommend.

Saturday, February 20, 2016

We were hiking to the backcountry campground but it was dark already, so I missed most of scenery going up. It was a whole different adventure going in the dark. Very eerie, extremely quiet. Didn't see anybody on the trail or at the campground, but this was late November. This is NOT a redwood area, but still very pretty. It isn't easy in the least bit. Literally uphill the entire way with a steep incline. Add backpacking gear to that and you have a great workout. We saw some people while going down the next morning.

Saturday, September 20, 2014

Love this trail. My husband and i are just getting back into biking but this trail is awesome it is a butt kicker with a beautiful view. We havent yet completed it yet but we are getting closer to the end.

Thursday, July 25, 2013

I went into the bike shop in crescent and the owner told me about this trail. He said it was a great trail so I said what the heck I have time. So I ran up and started to climb the trail. The trail has an intense uphill that at points made me walk my bike. I got to the top and walked around for a bit just resting then I started down and it is such a great downhill I went up a second time.

Friday, March 08, 2013

I asked a ranger, when I got into the park, how busy this trail was. Her response was, "Well, every few days a ranger will drive up the service road to check it out." That intrigued me. I did not see a single soul on my 2 days out there. I was solo backpacking, planning a 2 night trip (mosquitos at the boy scouts camp changed my mind and I hike out after 1 night). The trail wasn't too impressive, most of the time I hiked along a vehicle-sized service road. But the scenery can't be beat. Old growth redwood forests started and finished the loop while the sparse vegetation at the higher elevations allowed for absolutely amazing views in all directions. Oh, and I don't know if it was more scary or cool at the time, but looking back I vote for cool...I saw 4 bears on this trip. A super large male walking along the same trail I was, and a female with her 2 cups that she sent running up a tree. I hurried along before she became too wary of me. Beautiful place. I also hiked 2 or 3 of the day hike grove trails. Amazing place.

Friday, August 26, 2011

Rented a house on a creek and spent 5 days hiking trails in and around REdwood National Park - an absolutely must-do for anyone who is awed by nature.