Limekiln Creek Falls Trail

moderateYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarGray Star(232)
Limekiln State Park

Limekiln Creek Falls Trail is a 1.4 mile heavily trafficked out and back trail located near Lucia, California that features a waterfall and is rated as moderate. The trail offers a number of activity options and is accessible year-round.

Distance: 1.4 miles Elevation Gain: 331 feet Route Type: Out & Back

historic site

fee

This is a very scenic short trail system suitable for anyone who is reasonably fit. The trail requires scrambling over and under logs in a few places and crosses a steam multiple times with makeshift log and stone crossing points. During the summer it is fairly easy to do this hike without getting your feet wet. The trail is through second growth redwood forest and is shaded and very cool the entire time. The waterfall is worth seeing, and the abandoned lime kiln is cool. Trailhead is at the far end of camping area, walk past everyone, there are a small number of day use parking spaces for $10 fee. If it’s full there is parking on side of road above. At the opposite end of camping area there is a small sand beach and rocky area where the creek empties into the ocean. Cross a wooden bridge and walk under the bridge. That is also super cool and worth a visit. The water is freezing but nice to splash around. Bring a bathing suit and water shoes.

Good small hikes

Great trail, really beautiful. The only tricky thing was crossing the creek, but if you’re careful you should be fine.

This is a great bang-for-your-buck hike, filled with river crossings, tall redwoods, and waterfalls. The trail to the falls is not difficult—I’d even call it easy. I am guessing it is labeled as moderate because of the multiple river crossings where balance and caution are necessary if you want to stay dry. To get up close to the falls, we crossed the river to the left side and scrambled through a fallen tree.

bridge out
flooded

The River was running and so was the waterfall, crossing the river many times was the highlight for my 10 year old. Adding the waterfall and kiln loop extends the distance. Definitely recommend, especially in winter with a high river and less people.

Nice trail. Very easy.

Great easy trail through redwoods to pretty waterfall. A few river crossings but we managed to keep our feet dry.

Great trail with our 6 and 8 year olds. You do have to scramble over the creek several times on the way to the falls, but it was fun and an adventure for the kids.

Loved it, tons of variety

Beautiful waterfall!

Beautiful! You cross a creek a few times so I recommend hiking sandals or something waterproof. Not super well marked but we found our way and climbed up to the pool right under the waterfall. Very nice!

always an amazing trip. the air is so clean. love the smell of the trees.

Great hike through the redwoods! waterfall trail is a bit tricky but fun. waterfall trail is easy to miss so keep an eye out for it.

One of my favorite hikes. Some challenging stream crossings. Trekking poles helped immensely. Beautiful reward at the end.

Beautiful! Fun trail to the kilns and a few minor creek crossings to the waterfall. It is doable kerping your shoes dry but would be more fun with wster shoes! Lovely foilage.

One of my favorite hikes!! So pretty and green, have to cross the creek a few times so it was nice to have waterproof shoes on. This was my first hike in Big Sur and I still think about it. Lots of fun, fairly easy and the waterfall at the end is pretty. There’s some rocks at the end that we climbed up without issue and were able to sit/hang out for a little while before heading back.

Bring water shoes! This trail is easy enough to do in Tevas or five fingers and it makes it so much more fun to because to trek though the creek and walk up to the waterfall.

Excellente randonnée. Idéalement des chaussures de marche. Beaucoup de ruisseau à traverser sur des troncs d’arbres

Great trail alongside a crystal clear creek with tons of falls and beautiful redwoods! The trail splits halfway out. the trail out to the old kilns was easy enough for our 4 yr old. The trail out to the falls is lil more strenuous with a few river crossings on logs. Bring shoes that can get wet particularly in the wet season. The trail is in the state park so there is a $10 entry fee, but it's certainly worth every penny.

We drove 1 hour and 30 minutes from Carmel to do this hike. It was everything I expected. It is exactly 1.69 miles up and back when you include the hike to the waterfall and to check out the kilns.

This is by far one of the most beautiful trails I’ve ever hiked. It requires crossing a number of “bridges” across the river. The bridges are just logs laid across the river, but they’re pretty easy to traverse if you’re in good shape. You can also walk through the river and skip the logs if you don’t mind getting your feet wet. My 80-year old mom made it to the waterfall, so it isn’t too bad. We were nothing short of amazed by the beauty of this hike and the trail ends at a beautiful waterfall. You don’t want to miss this one if you’re in the area!

Sun Apr 21 2019

Absolutely one of the nicest trails I’ve ever done. When we went (March 2018), we really had to use rocks, tree limbs and mostly our balance to cross the river many times. It was absolutely awesome. The breathtaking views of the fall at the end are all worth it. Make sure to climb up to the fall too as there’s a little natural pool at the bottom of the left fall. Recommend this to everyone, my wife is not a hiker and she absolutely loved this and finally understood what I like about hiking.

Thu Apr 18 2019

One of the most beautiful trails you will find in California. Normally I/ we look for the most difficult trails lol. This time around we were looking for beautiful beaches, rocky cliffs, waterfalls and creeks (If it was going to be hard we are always ready). This park has family friendly trails. BUT some of the most BEAUTIFUL scenery you ever seen. You will have to balance yourself 4-5 times over the creek as you will cross logs and rocks to get find the other side of the trail (not hard). If it’s a hot day or just want to rest in the sand. This is a perfect park as it’s mainly covered. Before you leave; hit the beach, you will find a nice cove where the creek empty’s into the ocean and the sunsets behind the rocky cliffs. A perfect place for a picnic or to get down on one knee and ask for your woman’s hand.

SO glad we did this short hike! Entire trip is along the creek. Waterfall was large and great (lots of water flowing as of mid-April). It does require crossing the creek about 5 times on stick bridges so a little bit of a balancing act. Otherwise, very easy hike. After that, we followed the creek down to where it flows into the ocean, which is just a short walk and totally worth it! Great photo opportunities on both sections.

Sat Apr 13 2019

This one of my favorites, absolutely amazing creekside hike, a few obstacles but nothing horrendous. A Lille crowded on the weekends but well worth the effort.

Sun Mar 31 2019

Had to wade through water at a few points because of all the rain, loved it and the double waterfall at the end

Thu Feb 21 2019

Great place camped on Tuesday not crowded at all. The camp hosts were very cool. Love this place great hiking. Watch out for ticks

Wed Nov 21 2018

Wonderful hike

Sat Sep 29 2018

Loved this easy trail with fun river crossings! I used poles while crossing the rivers and it was a huge help!