Lewis Falls Trail

Lewis Falls Trail is a 0.8 mile lightly trafficked out and back trail located near Azusa, California that features a waterfall and is good for all skill levels. The trail is primarily used for hiking and is accessible year-round. Dogs are also able to use this trail.

Park along the side of the road and find the trail to the right of the creek next to a large yellow sign that reads, "NO FIRES." After 200 feet, the trail turns right between two granite boulders and continues half a mile up the canyon to Lewis Falls.

TIME
Go early enough in the day. The hike is back in a canyon and losing light during the hike or the drive back down is not a good idea. With a 15 minute picnic at the waterfall, we were in and out in 1 hour, 20 minutes.

CAR
Take a proper car that can make it around many corners and up many hills. It's a long but beautiful drive to the trail. There are lots of scenic pull offs/views. We drove by the "trailhead" several times before we found the entrance. There is no signage about it's existence and starting point. I did see one sign that indicated something about the use of propane on-site. Make sure you have an CA Adventure Pass.

CELL/MOBILE SERVICE
Don't count on getting any service. I lost Verizon connection several times and had no service during the hike.

GEAR
Wear good, multi-terrain shoes, you'll traverse several surface areas: dirt, rocks, wood, boulders, water. I wish I brought my hiking poles. Bug spray if you are into that.

LOOK OUT FOR
Poison oak, water lines, and abandoned/dilapidated housing structures along the path.

LEVEL OF DIFFICULTY
I love this hike AND I would not say it is easy. In my family there are kids and grandparents and we seek 'Easy' trails. Remember this is an elevation gain of 374 feet. I would not say this trail is easy based on the elevation gain and obstacles in the path. Definitely not disability-friendly.

TRAIL FEATURES
Water was still flowing Easter weekend.

Loved it. Perfect for a little workout. Great scenery. Saw a couple of squirrels.

Hiking was Amazing. Lots of water at fall and Beautiful weather.if you drive up, there is snow on mountain toward crystal lake.

This is a fun hike to go on. I would suggest going early in the morning.Be prepared for some climbing (over log a and rocks). The waterfall at the end is soooo worth it.
Note: apparently the Grey car that used to be parked by the entrance is now gone (donated). The location is marker 34. Happy hiking!!!!

Beautiful waterfall. Magical hike with some branches and obstacles that make it more fun.

beautiful easy walk, some rocks and branches to climb, bring bug repellant.

Gem of a trail! The trail isn’t obvious towards the top, however, keep moving up the trail (crosses over the creek a bunch) until you hit the big waterfall. Easy, short, beautiful.

Be prepared to cross the creek several times. A lot of fun!

we don't have grizzly bears here lol

Beautiful hike with lots of vegetation, wildlife, and huge trees! unfortunately there are a boatload of bugs so be forewarned. Also, when we got to the falls we were cornered by a grizzly bear so know how to deal with that and keep your dogs within eyesight if you choose to let them off leash.

It's a nice mini trail ,, didn't make it to the waterfall though due to not sure what direction to go once u get to the boulders ,, only disappointment is the trash people have left there ,, aside from that it has nice water streams ,,

It was kind of eerie in the beginning. Dark lots of warms , hornets , and tons of bugs- no joke. Thanks to previous hikers. We got tons of bug spray. The trail was short but had everything within that distance. You have to cross the creeks, boulders(can be slippery with dirt on it) , logs, big hills and lots of natural obstacles.
Trail was not easy to navigate through. At the end of it you don't see the water fall. Because as you come up it's not facing you. It's on the left when you get to the top.
I almost got lost on the way back. Different views from the back. Going down the hill. Take mental pictures of the land marks. That way you don't take wrong turns.
Short but tortuous.
Have fun!
Sean

Kind of Buggy and boring. At the top, 2 guys smoking weed and on the way back down, 4 ft rattle snake decided to cross the path. So just be aware of who and what's around you.

Amazing

Great little trail because it's not crowded, short and shady. Pretty waterfall and cool mist.
I lost a necklace at the falls on Saturday, July 15th at around 2pm. I left it on a log. It's not inherently valuable, but very sentimental. Ball chain with blue aluminum ring on the end. I checked around the log on Sunday afternoon and at the trail head, but no necklace :(
If found please let me know. Thanks, Ben
Funnimunki_atsign_hotmail.com

Great hike. Follow Valentinas directions and you will get there! Only down fall is the bugs but wear bug spray. And please pick up your trash and dirty diapers. Not cool

Impressive waterfall for this time of year! Very humid even at 6:30am. If you get closer to the creek it's a little better.

Taking off one star because holy crap the bugs. People tell you that you need repellent and you definitely do. The two areas exposed on my body (hands) were immediately attacked. I had on a mild repellent thinking I'd be alright and that was not the case. Insects of all shapes and sizes desperately try to make their way into any orifice of your body. Mouth, ears, eyes. Pretty sure I had a healthy dose of protein this morning from accidentally swallowing 3 of them. They swarm by the creek, but it's not really safe anywhere. I wish I had brought a handkerchief and sunglasses, probably would have defended me well.

Trail was super easy to traverse with plenty of good points of interest despite being only .4 miles in. Waterfall is about 40 ft high with great water flow. Loved how the trail is just nestled to the side of the road unmarked. Makes the place so quiet and secluded.

The trail is mostly shaded. Once you go past the cabins, follow the trail leading up to a crossing. Cross the creek and proceed to the falls. The falls are spectacular.

5 star route, but not really little kid friendly... there is a lot of scrambling and crossing the creek on logs

Saturday, April 08, 2017

Absolutely amazing loved the waterfall

Tuesday, April 04, 2017

would visit again

Tuesday, January 31, 2017

Keep your eyes peeled; it's easy to lose the trail, but if you're looking about for the right signs, you should stay on the right track.

Wednesday, January 18, 2017

If you follow Valentina's directions you will find it!!! My best friend and I went today following her instructions and it was a success! Had a lot of fun!

Tuesday, January 10, 2017

This is a really secluded and easy trail to hike once you find the trailhead. I went this past Saturday, January 7, and the trail was very pretty and green. Be careful if you go after rainfall because it was and can get very slippery on some of the rocks you have to hike on to get to the waterfall. Some of the more recent reviews have a very good description on locating the trailhead. Good luck, be safe, and have fun!

Sunday, December 18, 2016

Lewis Falls was a Beautiful hidden gem to discover. The trail is hard to find, so here is s review to help you enjoy this Hike. Once you pass ColdBrook Camp look for what looks like a Water Tower on the left side of the road around mile Marker 34. There is plenty of parking here. You can try to park closer at a Turnout up ahead.

There are no signs as previous reviewers mentioned. Not sure if it was run over or destroyed. So just look for the Mile Markers if you pass marker 34.87 you went one marker to far.

The trail will be on the Right Side of the street. You'll see the Water Drains under the road. That is where the Trail begins.

The actual walking Trail gets lost on the Hike so keep your eyes open. It's small and narrow. Toward the last 1/4 mile where you think it ends. That is where the fun begins. You'll need to climb over rocks, over fallen trees, under logs, and through the creek. You'll want to give up wondering if you will find the Falls. Even when you see where the Trail actually ends keep walking. The Fall is on the left side of the trial ending which you can't see til you're literally in front of it.

This hidden Gem has pretty much no Graffiti and no trash. Let's keep it that way.

Things you need or recommended:

-Adventure Pass required
-Long Pants, the trail in raw and rough and you'll be going through debree. I got my legs pretty scrapped up.
-Bring gloves to help get over rocks or logs
-Hiking Stick is useful to test areas when you walk through water and mud
-Bring extra Shoes. You're feet will get wet

Enjoy your Hike

Thursday, December 01, 2016

Hidden gem! I would say "Difficult roads often lead to beautiful destinations ". This is the one.

Monday, August 08, 2016

My husband and I decided to go check this trail out today in search of the waterfall. To our surprise we took a slight wrong turn somewhere and hiked about a mile up out of the way and never found it. The hike was beautiful lots of running water and greenery. Like someone else had mentioned don't forget your mosquito repellent they bombard you right at the start of the trial. Hope to come back soon and try and find the waterfall :)

Saturday, August 06, 2016

This is a pretty scary, lonely, sketchy trail! I found the entrance without a problem as the reviews did really well describing the hidden entrance. We parked to the side where there is a turnout. You can just pull in and park, but make sure you have an adventure pass on your rearview mirror since you are leaving your car parked. You can get the adventure pass at REI for $5. We walked in and got swarmed by mosquitos so please make sure you have repellant (we forgot ours in the car.. Oops!) be aware of the poison oak around so it's best to wear pants in this trail. You can hear the waterfall and see the creek to your left. We found 2 houses so this is where I got confused! We went through fallen trees as previous reviews suggested, but eventually the trail ended and it seemed like we would have to go through bushes so we stopped there. I know we were super close but maybe we didn't turn when we were supposed to? The only other option was to go in front of the second house to the right and around? We didn't do that because we thought it was private property. I do want to go back to find this place! The pictures look beautiful, but I freaked out with how lonely and full of insects it was, and not going to lie, I also got claustrophobic being surrounded by boulders, shrubs and trees. There's barely enough space to walk through. I had no service up there so it's best to download the trackers people have provided beforehand so that hopefully you can find it much easier!

Wednesday, June 22, 2016

It's a pretty trail, very short. We had trouble finding it in the beginning due to a few splits in the trail.

Friday, June 10, 2016

It was ok. Won't return tho. Poorly marked. Got lost a couple Times entrance to trail off main road was hard to find (look for a NO FIRES yellow sign, that's it!! See pic I posted of entrance. Got lost in the way back but just follow the creek and you'll find the trail again. Ok trail. Glad we did it but won't repeat.