Lewis Falls Trail

Lewis Falls Trail is a 0.8 mile lightly trafficked out and back trail located near Azusa, California that features a waterfall and is rated as moderate. The trail is primarily used for hiking and is accessible year-round. Dogs are also able to use this trail.

Park along the side of the road and find the trail to the right of the creek next to a large yellow sign that reads, "NO FIRES." After 200 feet, the trail turns right between two granite boulders and continues half a mile up the canyon to Lewis Falls.

I've been using AllTrails for years and I have never seen a review like Emmanuel Paraskiv's. It appears that he made poor decisions, but that doesn't mean the trail deserves one star. He also refers to himself as an "avid hiker," which I have a hard time believing.

It’s was great, I was really cold though. I mean it’s winter. To the guy below. I really want to see proof.

Five stars to how dramatic the guy is below me.

Where or where do I even begin... Firstly, regardless of what's written here or everyone else who spoke their minds... let me tell you how this trail led to me and my wife almost dying. It all started when we found the semi trail, I say semi because let's face it, it was barely a trail to begin with. Dead leaves and trees everywhere, making it almost impossible to know if you're going the right way or not, and making it hard to keep going. Now this next part I will admit is more our fault than the trails and I should have known better being an avid hiker, but needless to say, I was feeling adventurous and thought, let's do it. As a quick side note, I don't know how so many people took pictures of this "Lewis Falls" but there isn't any waterfall at the end of this hell road, just lots of rocks. As we get far enough, mind you we got there pretty late, it was roughly 3:45pm, we decide to hike up the steep incline, thinking if we get a better view we'll find it or at least get to a road or path. That was a grave mistake. As we climb our way up, on our hands and knees, not looking down for fear of our lives, the sun starts to set. We finally make it to the top and it was not what we were expecting. A bunch of small trees with thorns and branches everywhere making it really hard to get through. Not a path, and not a way to see anything aside from the city which seemed like was one thousand miles away. As we brawl our way through the thick brush, getting scratched up and cutting our pants and hands and legs, there was even a branch that hit my left eye which was very bad. My contact broke without me realizing and it was excruciatingly painful. We reach the semi top and find a spot were there were less of those thorned bastards, and decided to wait it out til morning where we will make our dangerous ascent back down. It was cold, we were running out of food and water, and my eye and arms and legs were throbbing as were my wife's as well. The night seemed to drag on forever as the sun refused to come up and while she was able to sleep for a few hours I stayed very much awake in case of any animal noises that were too close. I kept looking out at the city of Azusa and was determined that this will not be the night my flame gets extinguished. Time had never gone so slow in my life and my appreciation for being surrounded by people and buildings began to increase steadily. Now, I'm sure many people go camping and to them it's not a big deal, to stay in the mountains over night, but with little resources and no fire, and the thought and possibility of not safely returning home, it was very rough, and I know that many people have been stranded before, and so I can now be a part of that statistic. As cars were passing far away we signaled with our flashlights and screamed HELP, but no one stopped. We realized we were on our own. Somehow my wife managed to get a signal and we called 911. We told them where we were and just before the decision was made to get a helicopter, her signal faded and the call was lost. The sun finally slowly manages to peak through the horizon my body made movements before I could even think. I was breaking branches and clearing a path for us so we can get through without damaging ourselves more. We make it to the edge and start to slowly but carefully slide down. As we reach close to the bottom we hear voices and it was the Search and Rescue Team. We tell them we are fine and are coming down. They inform us to stay where we are and a helicopter is coming. I was worried it would be an expensive ride so I encouraged my wife to keep slowly sliding so we can avoid it. We got to the bottom just as the helicopter arrived and we skipped the ride. We talked with the rescue team, two really great guys who I was as happy to see as any of my close friends. We walked back with them and there were police cars and twenty people waiting for us. I was so thankful and grateful to see them all and apologized for causing alarm and panic and for calling them to begin with since we were able to get back on our own. It was one hell of an experience, one which neither my wife nor me will ever forget, and we have pictures and videos to prove it in case you think I made this all up. But alas, we are home, safe and sound, with cuts and bruises and splinters everywhere, ruined and torn clothes and holes in our boots but still alive. A little wiser now and with a new appreciation for living in a tiny apartment and being surrounded by people. One star because we are still in pain, and it was rough, but really this was a story which we will have for the rest of our lives and a chance to prove, we were able to overcome the obstacles and survive.

An easy short hike but very enjoyable. A great warm up hike. It’s nice to find water in the creek and an actual flowing falls this time of year. We did this hike and then moved on to Crystal Lake and did the Windy Gap Trail.

Cool trail

Definitely not easy but a great hike!

One of my favorite hikes in the area. There are a few parts with brief inclines (it is the mountains afterall) and you will need to navigate roots & rocks as well as walk through the creek to get to the waterfall. Should NOT be rated easy since it is natural earth & not a graded trail, although it is very short & not too strenuous at all. In June it was a bit buggy, but the fall area was a butterfly nursery. Thousands of them. Watch for stinging nettle & snakes.

Enjoyable hike with lots of shady spots and water stops near the creek, making this warm midday hike great!

There are spots where you need to climb a little bit, making it kinda tricky if you have a dog...even a larger agile dog. However, with a few lifts to aid my pup we managed.

Moderately travelled trail on a Sunday, but with enough space between hikers to feel you are alone.

Also, a lot of bugs however they were all mostly ladybugs so no big deal.

Overall greatly enjoyed this hike!

It was so beautiful and easy and I know nobody felt close one of them Bianka most

TIME
Go early enough in the day. The hike is back in a canyon and losing light during the hike or the drive back down is not a good idea. With a 15 minute picnic at the waterfall, we were in and out in 1 hour, 20 minutes.

CAR
Take a proper car that can make it around many corners and up many hills. It's a long but beautiful drive to the trail. There are lots of scenic pull offs/views. We drove by the "trailhead" several times before we found the entrance. There is no signage about it's existence and starting point. I did see one sign that indicated something about the use of propane on-site. Make sure you have an CA Adventure Pass.

CELL/MOBILE SERVICE
Don't count on getting any service. I lost Verizon connection several times and had no service during the hike.

GEAR
Wear good, multi-terrain shoes, you'll traverse several surface areas: dirt, rocks, wood, boulders, water. I wish I brought my hiking poles. Bug spray if you are into that.

LOOK OUT FOR
Poison oak, water lines, and abandoned/dilapidated housing structures along the path.

LEVEL OF DIFFICULTY
I love this hike AND I would not say it is easy. In my family there are kids and grandparents and we seek 'Easy' trails. Remember this is an elevation gain of 374 feet. I would not say this trail is easy based on the elevation gain and obstacles in the path. Definitely not disability-friendly.

TRAIL FEATURES
Water was still flowing Easter weekend.

Loved it. Perfect for a little workout. Great scenery. Saw a couple of squirrels.

Hiking was Amazing. Lots of water at fall and Beautiful weather.if you drive up, there is snow on mountain toward crystal lake.

This is a fun hike to go on. I would suggest going early in the morning.Be prepared for some climbing (over log a and rocks). The waterfall at the end is soooo worth it.
Note: apparently the Grey car that used to be parked by the entrance is now gone (donated). The location is marker 34. Happy hiking!!!!

Beautiful waterfall. Magical hike with some branches and obstacles that make it more fun.

Sunday, December 17, 2017

beautiful easy walk, some rocks and branches to climb, bring bug repellant.

Tuesday, November 14, 2017

Gem of a trail! The trail isn’t obvious towards the top, however, keep moving up the trail (crosses over the creek a bunch) until you hit the big waterfall. Easy, short, beautiful.

Wednesday, October 25, 2017

Be prepared to cross the creek several times. A lot of fun!

Sunday, October 01, 2017

we don't have grizzly bears here lol

Thursday, September 14, 2017

Beautiful hike with lots of vegetation, wildlife, and huge trees! unfortunately there are a boatload of bugs so be forewarned. Also, when we got to the falls we were cornered by a grizzly bear so know how to deal with that and keep your dogs within eyesight if you choose to let them off leash.

Tuesday, September 12, 2017

It's a nice mini trail ,, didn't make it to the waterfall though due to not sure what direction to go once u get to the boulders ,, only disappointment is the trash people have left there ,, aside from that it has nice water streams ,,

Monday, August 21, 2017

It was kind of eerie in the beginning. Dark lots of warms , hornets , and tons of bugs- no joke. Thanks to previous hikers. We got tons of bug spray. The trail was short but had everything within that distance. You have to cross the creeks, boulders(can be slippery with dirt on it) , logs, big hills and lots of natural obstacles.
Trail was not easy to navigate through. At the end of it you don't see the water fall. Because as you come up it's not facing you. It's on the left when you get to the top.
I almost got lost on the way back. Different views from the back. Going down the hill. Take mental pictures of the land marks. That way you don't take wrong turns.
Short but tortuous.
Have fun!
Sean

Friday, August 11, 2017

Kind of Buggy and boring. At the top, 2 guys smoking weed and on the way back down, 4 ft rattle snake decided to cross the path. So just be aware of who and what's around you.

Monday, August 07, 2017

Amazing

Sunday, July 16, 2017

Great little trail because it's not crowded, short and shady. Pretty waterfall and cool mist.
I lost a necklace at the falls on Saturday, July 15th at around 2pm. I left it on a log. It's not inherently valuable, but very sentimental. Ball chain with blue aluminum ring on the end. I checked around the log on Sunday afternoon and at the trail head, but no necklace :(
If found please let me know. Thanks, Ben
Funnimunki_atsign_hotmail.com

Tuesday, July 11, 2017

Great hike. Follow Valentinas directions and you will get there! Only down fall is the bugs but wear bug spray. And please pick up your trash and dirty diapers. Not cool

Monday, June 26, 2017

Impressive waterfall for this time of year! Very humid even at 6:30am. If you get closer to the creek it's a little better.

Taking off one star because holy crap the bugs. People tell you that you need repellent and you definitely do. The two areas exposed on my body (hands) were immediately attacked. I had on a mild repellent thinking I'd be alright and that was not the case. Insects of all shapes and sizes desperately try to make their way into any orifice of your body. Mouth, ears, eyes. Pretty sure I had a healthy dose of protein this morning from accidentally swallowing 3 of them. They swarm by the creek, but it's not really safe anywhere. I wish I had brought a handkerchief and sunglasses, probably would have defended me well.

Trail was super easy to traverse with plenty of good points of interest despite being only .4 miles in. Waterfall is about 40 ft high with great water flow. Loved how the trail is just nestled to the side of the road unmarked. Makes the place so quiet and secluded.

Sunday, June 25, 2017

The trail is mostly shaded. Once you go past the cabins, follow the trail leading up to a crossing. Cross the creek and proceed to the falls. The falls are spectacular.

Tuesday, June 06, 2017

5 star route, but not really little kid friendly... there is a lot of scrambling and crossing the creek on logs

Saturday, April 08, 2017

Absolutely amazing loved the waterfall