Memorial Day Sale! Get a year of AllTrails Pro for only $14.99
Get Started

Lembert Dome Loop [CLOSED]

moderateYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarGray Star(162)
Yosemite National Park

Lembert Dome Loop is a 3.7 mile heavily trafficked loop trail located near Yosemite Valley, California that offers scenic views and is rated as moderate. The trail is primarily used for hiking, running, bird watching, and horses and is best used from June until October. Horses are also able to use this trail.

Distance: 3.7 miles Elevation Gain: 846 feet Route Type: Loop

closed

It has been reported this trail has a temporary closure due to COVID-19. Please see the park's website for up to date information.

Lots of roots and rocks. Mostly in the shade, great views from the top.

The initial trail up was a little hard to find from the Parking lot so we added some extra distance. Good elevation going up, the scramble at the top is a lot of fun, windy when we went. Great views of the surrounding area. Added Dog Lake onto the hike, which no one else seemed to be doing. Nice Lake at the top.

Awesome hike! I was freezing from camping so I got up as soon as the sun was rising and started the trail before 7:30. I didn't see anyone until I was already coming back down the dome and had the summit to myself. From the summit you have excellent 360-degree views of the area. I'd recommend going to Dog Lake (adds maybe 0.5 mile round trip) as it was very nice there. Don't bother with the loop, the southern half is not nearly as interesting as the wilderness area forest on the northern side.

recorded Lembert Dome Loop

Nice views from the top. We added Dog Lake as well. Getting to the top of the dome itself is a scramble and somewhat treacherous. My wife didn’t want to try it. I agree with other reviewer who suggested against the loop. We parked at Lembert Dome parking and would’ve been best to just go back the way we came. Taking the PCT along Tioga Road to complete the clockwise loop wasn’t very interesting.

Amazing trail. Well worth the views. Like the Half Dome of Tuolumne Meadows. Definitely recommend!

So much fun! It can get a little scary when you first get up the rock, but as long as your trust yourself & your footing you’ll get to the very tippy peak. Me & my bf decided to go to some further rocks more out, such a fun time. Almost better than half dome if I do say so myself, took a nice nap at the top as well with the weather being so wonderful.

If your goal is to hit the dome, its easier/shorter to hike up from Dog Lake parking. Don’t do the loop, because once you pass the dome path, its a boring hike along Tioga road.

Great little loop trail with a nice Dome summit as well. Great hike to loosen up your legs for the big hikes here.

Went up to Lembert to watch the sunset and was not disappointed. It’s a pretty quick loop, with a good bit of gain up front, but it offers stunning views of all of Toulumne Meadow. Would do this trail again in a heartbeat.

Started from the Lembert parking area. Trail leading up to the dome is a bit steep, lots of uphill climbing but very tolerable due to the shade afforded to you by the forest. We started at about 11am and it was fine. Honestly, was nervous about the last part— scrambling the dome BUT that was pretty much the easiest part of the entire hike. Great views and it is always fun to scramble on the granite! Followed the trail back the way we came to avoid walking on the road (as many people on here discussed). All in all, a great hike and the views once on top are fantastic. I’d venture to say one of the best hikes in Tuolumne.

Great views at the top and fantastic scramble at the summit. I think there are better, more direct routes to do this hike. Don’t be fooled by the false summit, there’s an even steeper and larger granite slope to scale after that first one!

This is not EASY. The climb up the dome at the end of the hike is a challenge....you just have to figure out the best way for yourself...and getting down is equally challenging. Don’t be afraid to put your butt down and scooch your way down. Wear shoes with good grip. BUT...the top. Is spectacular. We were up there...my husband and I, and a raven. Ate our lunch...enjoyed the beautiful views in all directions and came back down. We took an end route that took us out to the road and we had to trek up the road back to the parking lot. Next time I’m gonna find the trail that stays off the road.

Altitude can really slow you down. The trail is pretty steep especially in the beginning. The views from the highest point (mountain) is absolutely amazing. It took me 1 hour to get to the Lembert Dome. I also did extra 0.3 walk to the Dog Lake on the way down. All in about 2 hours. Too many mosquitoes by the Dog lake.

Glorious day! We started at the trailhead on the map and climbed the dome, then went to Dog Lake for lunch. Didn't complete the loop as mapped here. Very exciting to actually climb a real dome in Yosemite and totally doable for someone who's used to hiking. Take sunscreen for the dome part, but rest of trail had a lot of shade.

Did this in August. Highly recommended. One of the best hikes in Yosemite and good practice for scrambling on bare granite if you want to do the other big one.

Wed Jan 30 2019

We hiked this trail in the off-season and had the place all to ourselves. The climb is worth it. At the top of the Dome you have a spectacular 360 view of Yosemite and the surrounding mountains. We also took the quick hike to dog lake which we highly recommend. It felt like we had an alpine lake all to ourselves. It was very peaceful out there and would be a great spot for a picnic.

Wed Jan 23 2019

Easy hike with nice views, but there' are other domes in the area that are higher and offer a more sweeping view.

Thu Nov 22 2018

I wouldn't repeat this hike. Completed in September 2016 and got lost for 30 minutes trying to find the parking lot despite following the signs.

Tue Nov 13 2018

Excellent. Not crowded

Thu Oct 11 2018

Easy hike, nice view. Trailhead lot always looks crowded, but it is mostly picnickers. Had the top of the dome to myself. Would be nice if the loop actually came out where you started, and while the river is peaceful, walking along the road is not.