Leiffer and Ellsworth Loops is a 2.2 mile moderately trafficked loop trail located near Crescent City, California that features beautiful wild flowers and is rated as moderate. The trail offers a number of activity options and is accessible year-round.

Take a step back in time on a trail that travels along a section of the 19th-century Crescent City Plank Road before descending into a canyon filled with hazel and vine maple. During the spring, clintonia, western burning bush, thimbleberry, red huckleberry, and western trillium color the trail, while California bay and tanoak wave overhead. Old-growth redwoods tower above, illustrating the many levels found in a climax forest.

This is a fantastic trail! There are hundreds of absolutely giant redwood trees throughout the entire hike. Every step of the way is photogenic. I had to force myself to stop taking pictures so I could actually keep moving along the trail. The coordinates from AllTrails took me right to the trailhead. There's plenty of parking along the road in both directions. There's actually a third trail in the mix to consider and that is called Leiffer Trail. It runs parallel to the road and connects two different points of Leiffer Loop. It's actually necessary to take this trail to complete the loop, unless you want to walk back to your car along the dirt road, which would certainly be pleasant enough. I've uploaded a picture of a portion of the official Jedediah Smith State Park Map. You can see the connecting trail, and though it's not named on the map, the signs on the trail refer to it as Leiffer Trail. As for the Ellsworth Loop, it has a short lead-in trail and then you can go around it either way and then back out that same lead-in trail to rejoin the Leiffer Loop. The Ellsworth Loop is spectacular and would make a great hike in itself. There are tons of benches throughout all the trails so this would be a great hike to bring a picnic or a book or anything else you like sitting and doing, possibly make a day or half-day of it. I went on a weekday afternoon after Labor Day and I only saw one other party. I think the best time to go would be late morning to early afternoon. Due to the height of the trees and the density of the canopy it is quite dark. I went mid-afternoon and wished I had gone a bit earlier.

We loved this hike! They are in the process of upgrading the trail areas, but it’s still a great area to hike. Good loops for those who want to get back to their cars. No road noise and few people.

Friday, September 29, 2017

Very easy hike, great way to get a view of the red wood trees. You can hear lot of nature sounds too strolling through here

Sunday, March 26, 2017

Very nice hike with lots of large redwoods. Around each corner is another "Wow!" Have special awareness or a GPS. Thr Rangers told us people get turned around on these trails, going in circles. Well we met two couples with five kids who couldn't find their way out.

Monday, October 17, 2016

A nice little stroll with some beautiful trees and a few photo ops. My wife and I did it in the summer. We also walked Walker road back to the river. It's a nice area with some easy walks that most people can do and will enjoy. We probably came across a dozen people that day. We also did the small hikes on the other side of walker road that day.

recorded Leiffer Walker Road loop