Leavitt Lake Trail is a 7.8 mile moderately trafficked loop trail located near Coleville, California that features a lake and is rated as moderate. The trail is primarily used for hiking and camping and is best used from June until September. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

Length7.8 miElevation gain1,807 ftRoute typeLoop
Dogs on leashCampingHikingLakeViewsWildlifeSnow
Description
Waypoints (0)
Contact
Getting There

Good elevation hiking here for those who don't want to carry much gear. Your driving option requires a 4 wheel drive, loose, rocky, 2 to 3 moving water crossings, possible snow. Drive into Leavitt Lake, follow lake to the left and around into cove area on the right for some nice campsites away from the water for our leave no trace ethics and the people. there are certainly more crowds here due to the driving access. You can day hike to Latopie Lake to the north or head south and upwards towards the PCT junction for some nice views. If you want to hike along a 10.5k+ ridge top with views in all directions then the PCT south from Sonora pass trail head is a great hike either as a partial loop hike of about 8 miles to latopie or a one way hike 7+ miles down the PCT into Leavitt Lake. Warning, Trail starts at 9,600 feet you must be somewhat acclimated for this hike as it is almost all above 10k. Easy trail but the elevation can make this hike difficult if you are not fully prepared. Great views of the Hoover Wilderness await following this portion of the PCT south.

California Travel and Tourism Commision, P.O. Box 1499 , Sacramento, CA, 95812-1499, Phone: 800-862-2543

Directions from Bridgeport: Take Highway 395 north for 17 miles. Catch Highway 108 west. Approximately 4 miles past the campground and pack station is the turn off for Leavitt Lake marked by a small brown sign. The turn off is on the left hand side of the road. Take the Leavitt Lake road up to Leavitt Lake and park at a small turn-out on the lake's north side. Leavitt Lake road is recommended for high clearance vehicles only.

Weather
UV Index
Daylight
Reviews (32)
Photos (47)
Activities (22)
Completed (63)
Katie Fantazia
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarOctober 8, 2020
Hiking

What a great hike! All the reviews on here are all about the ROAD! So let’s talk about the hike. We hiked from 108 of the fire road. We enjoyed seeing people’s stopping points in their cars when they had to hike in the rest of the way. Once we got to the lake, it was well worth the climb. Beautiful alpine lake, temperature dropped quite a bit with wind. Mountains are so scenic with windswept look. The lake is so blue and pretty clear. Looking forward to camping on the back end of the lake. We decided not to hike to the peak as the elevation got the best of us, so around the lake did just as well for us. We did not see a turn out point for the trail where it supposedly separates from the fire road so we just did an out and back. Will visit again to camp/ backpack in the short distance at the base of the mountain!

View Katie's activity
Justin Swenson
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarSeptember 26, 2020
Hiking

I have a Tacoma 4x4. Drove up to the lake and parked. Then I hiked up the peak and down the switch backs on other side and went near Kennedy lake. I was the only one out there and it was perfect.

Cezzy Mendoza
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarGray StarGray StarAugust 10, 2020
Paddle sportsNo shadeRocky

August 9-10, 2020 Hiked/paddled the victory lap (around the lake) We actually drove all the way up and hiked the victory lap (around the lake) w/c is nice but unshaded, about 2.3 mi. That road is super rough, Jeeps and lifted trucks would work best. If you don't have a high clearance vehicle, you can probably park comfortably right at the entrance on the right then hike the rest of the 2.8 mi. Gauging by that road, I personally would not enjoy that hike going up with loose, sharp rocks all the way, then you'd have to deal with the cars going up/down, and the scenery going in is just so so. There is also 3 active creeks to cross along the way, 2 on road up, and 1 at the lake, and I did not see logs for folks to cross on so be ready to wade or fly (whatever works?). There were a lot of day trippers, so even if it was remote, there was traffic and we were there on a Sunday and a Monday, thankfully, dispersed camping spots are quite dispersed. That water is great to paddle first thing in the morning, peaceful but people's voices travel really well over water. Also, it's probably nicer in the spring when the ice freshly melts, there is a little glacial pool at the base of the mountain, well just a puddle now this time of year, but a pretty neat little find (check out pic). Note also that wind picked up around 3 pm and didn't stop til 10 pm when we were there so it made a miserable overnight stay. It wasn't cold, just loud in the tent. Overall for me, this is a beautiful but just an okay destination. If you have high clearance vehicle, super fun to check out for the day. But if your goal is to hike, if you are going to be on Hwy 108 anyway, I would rather hike to Blue Canyon Lake than this lake.

Gwen Lux Kelsey
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarAugust 5, 2020

We did some dispersed camping up here a few days ago. The road is fine until the first water crossing, then you definitely need 4 wheel drive and a high clearance vehicle. I would call this a moderate 4×4 road. The trail around the lake really has no shade, so come prepared. We also hiked to ski lake from the trailhead here. Ski lake trail isn't marked, but pretty easy hike, with a great view. There is one spot on the ski lake trail that is a bit harder ( A rocky vertical descent, and a steep uphill climb on the way back). However. that part is pretty short.

Kimberly Masterson
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarGray StarGray StarGray StarGray StarAugust 2, 2020
HikingRocky

We attempted to drive up in our 4x4 Dodge Ram. Got about half way and had to turn around as it was hard to clear some of the boulders.

Gina Butala
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarJuly 27, 2020
Hiking

Really nice hike up to the lake. I parked my truck early so that I had a place to pull off. But you could easily make it to the first creek crossing in most vehicles. After that it is a boulder climb in some parts. Only Jeeps and raised trucks were at the top of the lake. The lake itself was breathtaking. Worth the hike!

Heather Hopson
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarGray StarGray StarJuly 15, 2020
HikingBugsRockyWashed out

Only 4x4 Jeeps and trucks can make it. I was able to get my stock Subaru Crosstrek about halfway down the road before having to park. Backpacked the last 1.5-2 miles all uphill to Leavitt. The lake is beautiful and there is a side trail leading to Koenig and Ski Lakes! What an amazing hike!

Dylan Hurrle
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarGray StarGray StarJuly 12, 2020
Scramble

I hiked in with camping gear because I didn't have a 4x4 and hiked Leavitt peak the next morning. it was rough

Maria Thompson
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarJuly 9, 2020
OHV/Off-road drivingRocky
View Maria's activity
Shirleen Roshdieh
Yellow StarYellow StarGray StarGray StarGray StarGray StarGray StarGray StarGray StarGray StarJune 18, 2020
Hiking

We tried with our Toyota Tacoma and it as a no go- sad!

Collette Wylie
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarGray StarGray StarGray StarGray StarJune 17, 2020
HikingMuddyOff trailRockyScrambleSnow

I would just follow the road, do a hike around the lake, and come back down via road. Mapped out route was impossible and dangerous in some places. Absolutely beautiful at the lake though!

View Collette's activity
Sasha Smirensky
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarGray StarGray StarSeptember 3, 2019
HikingRocky

This is a great and relatively easy trail for a day hike or an overnight trip! The trail is accessible for anyone driving in a HIGH clearance vehicle, riding an atv/dirt bike, or for those just walking up. Once at the lake, even if there is a decent amount of people, there are a ton of campsites and spots to access the lake away from others. If you’re brave enough, the water isn’t too cold to jump in and float around for a bit. The area gets decently windy/cold overnight, I camped labor day weekend with temperatures in the low 40s and wind gusts ~30mph that kept me up all night. (bring earplugs and stake your tent very well) If you’re spending more time up by leavitt, there area also several other lakes close by to check out as well.

Arvind Raghavan
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarGray StarGray StarGray StarGray StarJuly 23, 2019
HikingRocky

We took our 2019 Subaru Outback, but couldn’t get much past the first stream crossing, about a mile into the trail. Parked and set out on foot for another mile or so and then went off trail to get to a clearing with a nice view of the valley and the creek flowing below. Wildflowers of various hues were abundantly spread all around with a snow streaked peaks in the backdrop. Enjoyed a picnic lunch and headed back

Miya Hosaka
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarGray StarGray StarJuly 29, 2017
Hiking

This was a gorgeous hike! I saw deer and there was still snow, barely any on the trail, but snow was near enough to walk safely off trail. As a newbie hiker, I am not going to lie, the elevation had me struggling. My dog managed much better than me. On the uphill parts, I took a couple stops, caught my breath, couple steps haha. You pass a two creeks, the first went up to my ankles, the second just under my knees. So be prepared to have wet shoes and socks! :) The road is currently closed. It was 5.6 miles to the lake and back. The whole reason I was taking this hike was to see Koenig Lake. There is still snow right now and I am sure it was beautiful. Having been awake for over 24 hours, I wasn't my usual self and had to accept my limitations and head back. Koenig Lake is only supposed to be 0.9 miles from Leavitt Lake, but the incline looked steep. I am going to try and return soon so I can see Koenig Lake in all it's green glory.

Eric Heath
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarGray StarGray StarFebruary 2, 2011
Camping
First to Review

Drive (4wheel) into Leavitt Lake, follow lake to the left and around into cove area on the right for some nice campsites away from the water for our leave no trace ethics and the people. there are certainly more crowds here due to the driving access. You can day hike to Latopie Lake to the north or head south and upwards towards the PCT junction for some nice views. If you want to hike along a 10.5k+ ridge top with views in all directions then the PCT south from Sonora pass trail head is a great hike either as a partial loop hike of about 8 miles to latopie or a one way hike 7+ miles down the PCT into Leavitt Lake. Warning, Trail starts at 9,600 feet you must be somewhat acclimated for this hike as it is almost all above 10k. Easy trail but the elevation can make this hike difficult if you are not fully prepared. Great views of the Hoover Wilderness await following this portion of the PCT south and rate a 4 in my book.

Diana Mejia
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarGray StarGray StarOctober 31, 2020
View Diana's activity
Eddie Codel
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarGray StarGray StarJuly 11, 2020
View Eddie's activity
Mark Thompson
View Mark's activity
Nicole Hendry
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarSeptember 9, 2019
View Nicole's activity
Jani Huoponen
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarGray StarGray StarGray StarGray StarAugust 31, 2019
View Jani's activity
Maverick GRey
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarAugust 3, 2019
View Maverick's activity
Bryan Coffee
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarGray StarGray StarJuly 20, 2019
Backpacking
View Bryan's activity
Gabby Peralta
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarGray StarGray StarJuly 6, 2019
View Gabby's activity