Leavitt Lake Trail

Leavitt Lake Trail is a 7.8 mile moderately trafficked loop trail located near Coleville, California that features a lake and is rated as moderate. The trail is primarily used for hiking and camping and is best used from June until September.

Good elevation hiking here for those who don't want to carry much gear. Your driving option requires a 4 wheel drive, loose, rocky, 2 to 3 moving water crossings, possible snow. Drive into Leavitt Lake, follow lake to the left and around into cove area on the right for some nice campsites away from the water for our leave no trace ethics and the people. there are certainly more crowds here due to the driving access. You can day hike to Latopie Lake to the north or head south and upwards towards the PCT junction for some nice views. If you want to hike along a 10.5k+ ridge top with views in all directions then the PCT south from Sonora pass trail head is a great hike either as a partial loop hike of about 8 miles to latopie or a one way hike 7+ miles down the PCT into Leavitt Lake. Warning, Trail starts at 9,600 feet you must be somewhat acclimated for this hike as it is almost all above 10k. Easy trail but the elevation can make this hike difficult if you are not fully prepared. Great views of the Hoover Wilderness await following this portion of the PCT south.

This was a gorgeous hike! I saw deer and there was still snow, barely any on the trail, but snow was near enough to walk safely off trail. As a newbie hiker, I am not going to lie, the elevation had me struggling. My dog managed much better than me. On the uphill parts, I took a couple stops, caught my breath, couple steps haha.
You pass a two creeks, the first went up to my ankles, the second just under my knees. So be prepared to have wet shoes and socks! :)
The road is currently closed. It was 5.6 miles to the lake and back. The whole reason I was taking this hike was to see Koenig Lake. There is still snow right now and I am sure it was beautiful. Having been awake for over 24 hours, I wasn't my usual self and had to accept my limitations and head back. Koenig Lake is only supposed to be 0.9 miles from Leavitt Lake, but the incline looked steep.
I am going to try and return soon so I can see Koenig Lake in all it's green glory.

Wednesday, February 02, 2011

Drive (4wheel) into Leavitt Lake, follow lake to the left and around into cove area on the right for some nice campsites away from the water for our leave no trace ethics and the people. there are certainly more crowds here due to the driving access. You can day hike to Latopie Lake to the north or head south and upwards towards the PCT junction for some nice views. If you want to hike along a 10.5k+ ridge top with views in all directions then the PCT south from Sonora pass trail head is a great hike either as a partial loop hike of about 8 miles to latopie or a one way hike 7+ miles down the PCT into Leavitt Lake. Warning, Trail starts at 9,600 feet you must be somewhat acclimated for this hike as it is almost all above 10k. Easy trail but the elevation can make this hike difficult if you are not fully prepared. Great views of the Hoover Wilderness await following this portion of the PCT south and rate a 4 in my book.