Memorial Day Sale! Get a year of AllTrails Pro for only $14.99
Get Started

Lava Tube Trail is a 0.5 mile moderately trafficked out and back trail located near Baker, California that features beautiful wild flowers and is good for all skill levels. The trail is primarily used for hiking, walking, nature trips, and bird watching and is accessible year-round. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

Distance: 0.5 miles Elevation Gain: 62 feet Route Type: Out & Back

cave

Road in is rough, but can be done in a regular car. Make sure you go on a sunny day- noonish. For my full trip report with pics, info, and story go here: https://sanbernardinohikingpursuingbalancethruadventure.home.blog/2020/03/23/lava-tubes/

pretty cool, I didn't go all the way through the tubes, I was too chicken lol.

Great walk to see amazing lava tubes!

Such a cool spot!! We went out on 1/20/20. The road to the trailhead is a bit rough but not impassable. I drive a Subaru Crosstrek and it was fine. Mostly just a rough washboard. But it is absolutely worth it!! I mean...it’s a freaking lava tube!!! The volcanic rock is so interesting and the landscape is vast and stunning. I brought my headlamp into the tube and was so glad I did. Just go!! This is a good one!

Great place to go to. the lava tube is a nice and unusual experience, and the place is surrounded by cinder cone volcanoes (32 of them) Road is a little rough, I went in my Bugmobile Prius C, yes the little one and did fine. follow the main road and once you get to the end loop, park there. Continue walking on the rocky/dirt road for 300 yards and the hard to see from the road entrance will be a little up a hill on your right side.

Sun May 12 2019

Absolutely beautiful view ! Recommend to anyone and everyone. If you are considering going , just go!

Mon Mar 18 2019

Short hike to a lava tube you can walk through.

Fri Mar 08 2019

Very pretty location around midday with the sun streaming through the hole in the top of the tube. lighting helps, but isn't required as the interior cave is very well lit. Watch your head on entry though, it narrows to about three feet high at it's lowest. Be wary of what roads you take, as I've had to pull someone out of the deep sand after they took a wrong turn and got stuck. It's a quiet location and a very long walk back to Baker, especially if it's hot.

Mon Oct 08 2018

This was really cool!! When we went today there was not one person out there and the weather was amazing, no trash or graffiti here! Just remember, if you feel like you’ve gone too far, YOU HAVE. The trail where you turn is really close to where you park. I could see my car from the stairs. From the parking area you only hike about 0.2 miles and then turn right where those brown posts are that say “no motor vehicles.”

Fri Sep 28 2018

Was a super short and easy hike! Do take headlamps or flashlights if you want to go inside the cave! It is really dark! Also be careful since there was a bat flying around inside when me and my boyfriend went! A good time to go is close to being to noon since you will catch the sun beaming through the opening making it look so cool and beautiful! It is hot despite the fact that it is a short hike inside the cave is a bit cool but still take water! Remember to keep it clean and take any trash with you to maintain the area clean!!

Fri Aug 03 2018

*very short hike *hiked in .3 miles and out .3 miles *rocky and sandy hike (basalt rocks everywhere) *climbed up & down the tunnel *saw the scenic cinder cones

Mon Jun 04 2018

Really amazing. But the road to get there was rough and there are no signs to help find it or cell phone service, so no gps.

Mon Mar 12 2018

When we went we had it to ourselves. We walked passed the trail the first time. When you get to the end of the road, you're going to go left. Follow the volcanic rocks on the ground. Then to your right you will see a trail up a slight incline. Pass the first hole to reach the staircase. I would recommend bringing a flashlight as our phones weren't strong enough for the darkness. Also watch the ceiling! I scraped my back pretty hard down there.

Tue Mar 06 2018

Worth the effort. From the paved road go past the dirt road shown to the next bigger dirt road wider and better condition

Sun Feb 25 2018

Worth the off road trek

Sat Dec 09 2017

Much cooler than I thought it would be! I really enjoyed exploring this place.

Sun Jun 11 2017

Super cool

Sun May 21 2017

This is hard to get to, since you have to drive down a 4.5-mile unmarked dirt road to get there. It's not really a trail. You only have to walk a few hundred yards to get to the lava tube. But it is so worth it. The lava tube chamber is just amazing. You have to see it to appreciate it.

Fri May 19 2017

Mojave lava tube is well worth the trip

Tue Jan 24 2017

Very short trail but you can branch off to other trails as well. Cool lava tube!!

Sun Jan 15 2017

High clearance vehicle recommended for reaching trailhead on Aiken Mine Rd.

Thu Oct 01 2015

Small, but interesting. Most folks think of Hawaii when you mention lava tubes, but there are a few here and there around California, due to the tectonic forces that shaped the state. This one is small, dusty, and has a low ceiling in places. Certainly worth exploring if you're in the area, but I wouldn't consider this a destination hike. Better as a side trip after exploring the nearby Kelso Dunes, or when driving the Mojave Road.