Lava Beds National Monument Scenic Drive

Lava Beds National Monument Scenic Drive is a 9.3 mile moderately trafficked point-to-point trail located near Tulelake, California that offers the chance to see wildlife and is good for all skill levels. The trail is primarily used for nature trips and scenic driving and is accessible year-round.

Distance: 9.3 miles Elevation Gain: 938 feet Route Type: Point to Point

scenic driving

Beautiful. ATB pass required.

Sun Jul 15 2018

nice app , I have lived in Oregon for 4 years and I cant believe how many trails there are just in Oregon and I like exploring different trails, just nature its kind of relaxing

Sat Apr 07 2018

Great caves Has easy access into them.

Mon Jun 12 2017

was avrainy, snow day but awesome time !!! yiu need days to see everything !!! will be back soon !!!! ♡♡♡♡

Mon Sep 12 2016

I love to go here year round. the ice that forms in the caves in January thru February is well worth seeing. great desert hiking as well as caving. take a flashlight or rent one from the visitor center at no cost. Lots to do here.

Thu Sep 24 2015

Hot shit! Super nice ranger! Has told me exactly where it is worth going, also given details on the formation of the caves. You get borrowed flashlights (next year will be new, the current ones are already quite exhausted.) For the more complicated caves worth the guide with the cards for about $ 8. One day is enough to see the most important thing, but you can certainly pack two extra days if you want to see and run everything. So from me a recommendation!

Sat Jun 27 2015

The lava beds are awesome, not much of a hike but you can do a lot of exploring! Make sure you go in fall, it gets VERY hot in the summer.

Wed Dec 25 2013

As remote as this National Monument is, I keep coming back to explore it more than any other park. There are many more caves to explore than the one's at the visitors center. You really need more than one day to see it all and should plan to camp overnight. The pertoglyphs are just as fascinating. You will enjoy the area much more in the early spring or late fall as the heat in the summer can be intimidating.

Wed Feb 15 2012

Went here for the first time. The Day was perfect with sun out . This place certainly a good one to visit. Since it is in close proximity to the Tule Lake Refuge you can do the bird watching as well.

Sun Jan 23 2011

I have been here many times but this time we chose to go in winter and we found that they do not plow the road South of the Visitors Center and since we were coming up from Reno we had to get through! We did manage to do it with a sedan but I wouldn't recommend it. A SUV would be a better choice, other then crowds are concerned, well there wasn't anybody there but us and a couple of rangers. Even though it was cold and snowy outside it was still only cool in the caves and we had them to ourselves.

Thu Jan 13 2011

I've been here multiple times, and still haven't seen it all. "More than 700 caves, Native American rock art sites, historic battlefields and campsites, and a high desert wilderness experience await you!" -Website Here is a helpful hint: If you know in advance that you will be going to this park, you can reserve a slot to see one two caves that are only open to a limited few visitors each season.

Fri Oct 15 2010

This drive has multiple sites of historical and geological interest, as well as a wildlife refuge that is known to attract migrating birds. Native American petroglyphs can be found in the National Monument, and this was also the site of the Modoc War of 1872-3.

Sun Aug 30 2015