Laurel Canyon - Bommer Ridge Loop

Laurel Canyon - Bommer Ridge Loop is a 3.3 mile moderately trafficked loop trail located near Aliso Viejo, California that features beautiful wild flowers and is rated as moderate. The trail offers a number of activity options and is accessible year-round.

Note: Mountain bikes are not allowed on Laurel Trail past the Stagecoach Trail cutoff.

We did Willow Trail first then headed down Laurel Canyon Trail. Willow Trail is not shaded and all uphill going this direction, so it was pretty difficult for me. I was feeling very out of breath when we made it to the top. Laurel Canyon down was shaded and very beautiful. Definitely enjoyed the second part of the hike more.

The parking lot at Willow was full when we arrived so we had to park at the next one down and hike up to the trailhead. Added maybe another mile to our hike.

Beautiful views towards the ocean. Very exposed so bring lots of water.

Great Trail. We started with Willow Trail and came back with Laurel Canyon Trail. Laurel Canyon seemed to be more difficult than Willow.

Good canyon single track, no bikes on most of it. Waterfall was dry. Lovely rock and cave formations off limits.

Views aren’t that great. I recommend going when it’s cool out or bring more than enough water! Trail gets very hot only pockets of shade.

$3 parking fee

Nice hike in Laguna Canyon with great scenery. Pay to park.

Good clean trail with some nice steep hills and decent views. People who are writing bad reviews about this trail probably couldn't handle the hills and the sun lol

Thursday, March 16, 2017

trails are open until 7 PM, but gates to the parking lot lock at 5 PM. no other parking nearby either.

Thursday, December 29, 2016

nice trails

Sunday, November 06, 2016

Beautiful, partially shaded hike along a creek bed and then along a ridge. Great views. Awesome rock formations. Moderate hill climbs.

Thursday, May 19, 2016

easy, shady, and relaxing

Tuesday, May 03, 2016

Laurel Canyon, in and out, is one of the few mostly shaded trails in Orange County. Up hill mostly but nothing difficult to climb over. I've seen lots of children on this hike as well. If you stick to the In/out and don't take Bommer-Willow Trail back to the parking lot, you won't run into many mountain bikes, as they're not allowed on Laurel Trail past the Stagecoach Trail cutoff. Keep going on Upper Laurel past Laurel Spur-Bommer Trail and you'll see numerous huge canyon live oaks. Laurel Canyon takes on a completely different character as you come back down.

Saturday, March 26, 2016

You are not alone in there!!!! Lots of people and lots of creatures.

Tuesday, March 01, 2016

Wonderful trail, very relaxing!

Thursday, February 18, 2016

Great! Watch out for mountain bikes!

Monday, January 18, 2016

It was fun! A friend and I went, and while we don't consider ourselves beginners, we're definitely not at the intermediate level yet-- some parts were a little steep and we took a break. Too dry for any water activity, but you can see where the water once flowed. Great views!

Wednesday, August 28, 2013

I took the big bend trail up which can get very steep at some points and a little exhausting. When I got to the top of big bend trail I went left onto the boomer ridge trail to the next intersection at which point I took the boat trail all the way out to guana point I think it's called. Got some great pictures of the sunset of three ocean and the rolling hills of laguna. However that came at a cost. No moon tonight means it was super dark on the trail, at around 8:30 I had to break out the flash light on my phone.

overall its a great hike with some spectacular views. if you feel up to it try doing a little trail running. Afterwards you will feel accomplished but oh so sore

Monday, July 29, 2013

Beautiful trail with some nice ocean views and vantage points. The trail itself is well kept and there are rangers on duty at the base of the main trailhead. The map location marker is wrong though. You need to take the 133 South and go just pass El Toro, then the trailhead will be on your right. If that parking lot is full, you can drive down another mile to the next one and start on the backside of the trails. Great trail for hiking and biking, I recommend both.

Thursday, August 02, 2012

Pretty awsome trail that leads you to views of Laguna Beach. Rolling hills has a few soft sand patches and links to many other trails and single tracks.

Sunday, May 09, 2010

This is a pretty easy hike, unless you are a brand new hiker. The first few times, I had difficulty on the two uphills. After that, it was a pretty straight walk, with a little bit of uneven terrain.
Overall, I enjoy this hike and have gone on it several times now.