Lassen Peak

Lassen Peak is a 5.1 mile heavily trafficked out and back trail located near Old Station, California that features a lake and is rated as difficult. The trail offers a number of activity options and is best used from June until September.

Distance: 5.1 miles Elevation Gain: 1,968 feet Route Type: Out & Back

rock climbing

hot springs

Tackle the highest peak in Lassen Volcanic National Park and stand atop an active volcano. Located four hours north east of San Francisco this Northern California park might be a little out of the way, but it's a prime destination for seekers of tranquility and those with even just a passing interest in geology. Mount Lassen is a towering testament to the volcanic origins of this region, and an imposing sight from the trailhead on the shores of Lake Helen. Starting at the parking lot in Lassen National Park, this popular trail makes a steep climb to the summit of Lassen Peak. The hike can be difficult, but the views are well worth the effort. It is truly a worth-while adventure to the top of an active volcano. On the main road through Lassen National Park, a parking lot at the trailhead marks the beginning of the journey. The trail starts at 8500 feet in elevation, and ascend quickly. The high altitude in combination with the steep ascent can make this hike difficult, but the trail is relatively short, a mere 2.5 miles in each direction. There no trees to shade the hike, so be prepared for direct sunlight the entire trip. The trail remains a popular destination, because of its spectacular views, and the bragging rights of climbing this active volcano.

Hiked this on 11/16. It was a gorgeous day with the right amount of Sun and breeze. Very well laid out trail with lots of switch backs all the way up until 0.2 miles away. Steady climb from the word go. The elevation gain in just 2 miles is what makes it hard but definitely doable. The views were spectacular all way along which makes us enjoy the breaks. Got a great view of snow clad Mt Shasta from the Summit. Great hike overall!

Beautiful views, trail isn’t so steep that I needed trekking poles, and I had knee surgery two years ago. It’s windy and icy at the top, and I actually got a little lost trying to get to the summit.

I did this hike on 11/17/2019. Lassen Peak isn’t easy hike because a lot of elevation changes, Only a little over 5 miles RT. But it starts from 8,363 to 10,321 feet, each of the mile is 1,000 feet. Good workout.... trail is so nice, well maker, very detail,(thank to Lassen park). Spectacular,panoramic,uninterrupted view. Up only haft mile, I’m able to see 3 lakes,(Helen lake, Jupiter lake, and one more but I don’t know the name of this lake). Up one mile, I’m able to see Cinder Cone. Mile and a half up, I’m able to see Lava bed, And up to the top of Lassen peak,I’m able to see Mount Shasta. On the way down,I’m able to see sunset in Lassen National Park. Love this trip a lot. I will come back to Lassen Volcanic for different hikes.

Me and my boyfriend did this hike on Veterans Day 2019. The elevation gain was gradual and then near the peak it was rocky (lots of loose rock and rubble). But it's accurate what the reviews say. I would definitely rate this a high difficulty trail because of the switchbacks and elevation gain of a little less than 2,000 ft. The views were amazing we reached the top at right around sunset. We were last to start climbing up, and we were the last to make it down. We had a headlamp handy. Be sure to have hiking poles or a headlamp in hand when doing this hike during the later hours! Hope you all enjoy the hike!

Hiked 11/10/19. It was work the whole way up. Not many flat spots. Three days later and my calves still burn. A lot of switchbacks but the view from the top is totally worth it!

My Nephew and I hiked to the summit for Veterans Day 2019 to honor our veteran family members and shake hands with heaven. At a starting altitude of 8500ft the second mile was challenging but after awhile my body acclimated to it. I’ve done many with more elevation gain but with a lower starting and finishing altitude. Great views and memorable day. Just be careful and plan where you are planting your foot or trekking poles I can be slippery

We did this trail on veteran’s day 2019 to honoring our friends who gave their life’s to serve this country! It’s all up then all down 1999 feet . Be prepared for a good hike !

one of my Faves. Not many places you can hike above 10,000 feet in 2.5 miles incredible views. snow year round

The reviews were pretty accurate. Not much snow on top right now. The trail signs, I think, measure to when you get to where you reach a flat top and 4 interpretive signs. To reach the end of what’s marked on AllTrails, you’ll cross the flat top, cross some snow and scramble to the top - but it’s the best views of Mt Shasta from the top and from the snow.

Great views at the top. Really rocky so make sure you wear appropriate shoes. Didn’t get super windy until the peak. Brrr

Amazing trail! Super quick, easy access for an unreal summit. The trail is super well graded and smooth, making it pretty easy. I hiked it at sunrise, and it was absolutely stunning. The interpretive signs were really interesting too.

Great trail in late October. Windy at the top and occasionally on the way up but very manageable. There was a bit of snow here and there but not fresh or deep. Amazing view of Mount Shasta at the top.

Well maintained trail and amazing views at the summit. Though lacking in shade, it made up with endless switchbacks. For a lowlander like me, the switchbacks became one of my excuses to stop and catch my breath, but most importantly, it was an excuse to soak in the view (and take pics/videos of course!). Hiking this trail in late October allowed me to enjoy the trail with less crowd. There was a bit of snow between the last set of markers and the actual peak so the layers, beanie hat and gloves helped. Once you reach the summit, you can see Mt. Shasta on the horizon and man, oh man, the 360 degree view was breathtaking!

bridge out