Lassen Peak

Lassen Peak is a 4.2 mile moderately trafficked out and back trail located near Old Station, California that features a lake and is rated as moderate. The trail offers a number of activity options and is best used from June until September.

1948 feet

rock climbing

hot springs

Tackle the highest peak in Lassen Volcanic National Park and stand atop an active volcano. Located four hours north east of San Francisco this Northern California park might be a little out of the way, but it's a prime destination for seekers of tranquility and those with even just a passing interest in geology. Mount Lassen is a towering testament to the volcanic origins of this region, and an imposing sight from the trailhead on the shores of Lake Helen. Starting at the parking lot in Lassen National Park, this popular trail makes a steep climb to the summit of Lassen Peak. The hike can be difficult, but the views are well worth the effort. It is truly a worth-while adventure to the top of an active volcano. On the main road through Lassen National Park, a parking lot at the trailhead marks the beginning of the journey. The trail starts at 8500 feet in elevation, and ascend quickly. The high altitude in combination with the steep ascent can make this hike difficult, but the trail is relatively short, a mere 2.5 miles in each direction. There no trees to shade the hike, so be prepared for direct sunlight the entire trip. The trail remains a popular destination, because of its spectacular views, and the bragging rights of climbing this active volcano.

18 minutes ago

Beautiful hike. BRING WATER! I don't know how many tourist hikers I saw that were climbing with nothing...this is not for the faint of heart. Its doable, but my suggestions would be the following: Hat (wide brimmed preferably), water (and extra water), and trekking poles. I went on a Saturday in June later in the day (around 2 PM) and most of the people were coming down the mountain. There is still a far amount of snow, so be aware of the drop offs. There is one part in particular that can be a it nerve wracking, but if all those NP tourist can get around it, you'll be fine. Its about less than a foot wide snow path with a shear drop off on the east side, so be careful and take your time. It can be tough with a lot of tourists thinking its a game, so I waited until about 17 people came down who I thought were going to slide down the slope before I headed up. The peak is beautiful and you can go from the top to the very top where you have to do a bit of bouldering, but the spires get you away from the crowds and give you spectacular 360 degree view of the area. You can even see Mt. Shasta in the distance! To avoid the crowds, I advise early morning or later in the day. When I came down I only passed maybe 5 people coming up the trail so the trail was fairly secluded on my downward trek. Gorgeous hike!

Brilliant views, for a moderately strenuous hike. Left the trailhead at 5am, the snow was very icy and slippery. You get much better traction after the sun has softened it a little. Exposed to strong cold winds, but there is regular shelter, including at the summit.
I lost visibility for over an hour when the clouds rolled in. I waited it out from sheltering rocks as I wasn't in a rush, and I was there for the views.
Amazing sunrise views from the trail, worth the early start and the slippery snow.

We just finished the hike this morning, and it was INCREDIBLE. There is still quite a bit of snow on the trail, so be prepared to slip around a lot if you go soon. I’m not in the best of shape, but hike fairly often, and I think I would consider this a strenuous hike, especially considering the snow. With that in mind, the view at the top was worth the few days I’ll be sore from this hike!

Just did this hike over MDW weekend, and it was awesome. However, they had recently received a bit of snow and the trail was pretty difficult to find, so I just paved my way through the white stuff. I think I was the only one to summit that day, at least I didn't see anyone else on the trail. The peak is amazing, great views, dramatic landscapes and Shasta looming in the distance.

great trip with fantastic views at top. A bit crowded but that is expected given accessibility. Go early to avoid the major crowds. Been up here many times and always like it.

My current PR parking lot to top flats is 34min.

I am trying to hike this weekend 4/28.. I see some roads are closed. Will I be able to hike to summit still?

Thanks for any advice !
Scotty

Did this hike last summer- beautiful and well worth all the switchbacks!

Great view of all volcano types. Good trail and grade.

Awesome trail. Not much shade or coverage. Beautiful scramble in the end.

Loved all of Lassen. Very alpine feel to the park.

Did Bumpass Hell too. How many places can you picnic near the summit of a dormant volcano?

they don't allow dogs?? I would want to be around the type of people that don't want dogs on the trail. aviod this area if you are looking to have a fun day.

Consistent incline all the way up with views of Lake Helen. Recommend for the average hiker with breaks along the way!

A great trail for any age! The altitude makes it tougher than I expected, but I saw kids and Middle Aged adults on the trail. The top has beautiful views and fun rock formations to boulder around. You can also get to the crater and walk inside, it was so neat! I highly recommend this trail!

definetly a difficult hike if you don’t hike often! but summit was amazing at sunrise!

It was a great hike. It took me and my mom about over 3 hours to get to the top but that was with about an hour worth of resting along the way. It took only about 90 minutes to get hike back down. During the hike the trail is pretty close to some cliffs that drop off, so I would not bring any young kids if you don't want to be worried the whole time (unless your planning on carrying them). Hiking Lassen will be a great memory for me and my mom. Do it.

A little cold at the peak before sunrise, but well worth the awesome view and sunrise.

Super windy but the sunset was unreaaalllll

Incredible! I only did this trail because I wanted to climb a peak, any peak, and Lassen was convenient. Based on descriptions I'd read previously, I expected a boring and tedious hike. Not at all! The views from the very start are spectacular and just keep getting better. On the way back everything is different as you are facing the opposite way. Now I can't wait to go again in June or July, as early as I can. This time was October and the wind was brutal but exciting. Glad I had complete layers including gloves!

Worth all the switchbacks :)

October 1, 2017
Full exposure the entire way, wear sunscreen and bring lots of water. Trail is steep the entire way, definitely a good work out. It's decently hard but people of all sorts hike it. Areas to explore at the top. Large snow patch at the top but easy to cross. Wear/bring warm clothes. Air is brisk, but the full exposure sunlight keeps you warm. Beautiful views.

One of the best hikes I have been on because when I went in the first week of August, there were thousands of California Tortoiseshell butterflies en route during their annual migration. So they were flying around all throughout the trail up and the most being at the peak! Still snow on the trail when we went but with as much foot traffic on the trail, it's definitely passable. Great view of Lake Helen as well!

Quite the hike! Didn't expect to struggle with it as much as I did, but I think it was mainly due to not adjusting to the elevation enough beforehand. Absolutely breathtaking views!

The best hike I’ve ever done

My friends and I loved this hike! We are all in relatively good shape and although it was only a 5 mile hike, it was still pretty challenging. Definitely well worth all the views though! There was still snow on lots of the peaks and great views of many lakes and peaks in the distance. Make sure to bring a jacket! We started the hike with clear blue skies and rain on the way down the peak.

The last half a mile was strenuous. Take a lot of water.

Hard finding the trail on the last couple hundred feet to the top. Looks like people have made there own trail which made it confusing.

Hike to the peak today. Smoky going up. Fairly easy hike !

i suppose this could be considered a moderate hike, because you die so bad on the way up that the way down feels like a dream. Loved every second can't wait to go again

>8000 feet elevation and elevation gain on this trail make the hike strenuous. There is a bit of a steep, rocky climb at the end to reach the peak. The views are spectacular on the entire trail. The trail goes above the tree line so there is little to no shade for a significant portion of the trail. The trail is very well maintained, but I would recommend hiking poles for the steep, rocky areas and for the snowy areas. There was snow at the top of the climb in late August.