Lassen Peak is a 4.4 mile moderately trafficked out and back trail located near Old Station, California that features a lake and is rated as difficult. The trail offers a number of activity options and is best used from June until September.

rock climbing

hot springs

Tackle the highest peak in Lassen Volcanic National Park and stand atop an active volcano. Located four hours north east of San Francisco this Northern California park might be a little out of the way, but it's a prime destination for seekers of tranquility and those with even just a passing interest in geology. Mount Lassen is a towering testament to the volcanic origins of this region, and an imposing sight from the trailhead on the shores of Lake Helen. Starting at the parking lot in Lassen National Park, this popular trail makes a steep climb to the summit of Lassen Peak. The hike can be difficult, but the views are well worth the effort. It is truly a worth-while adventure to the top of an active volcano. On the main road through Lassen National Park, a parking lot at the trailhead marks the beginning of the journey. The trail starts at 8500 feet in elevation, and ascend quickly. The high altitude in combination with the steep ascent can make this hike difficult, but the trail is relatively short, a mere 2.5 miles in each direction. There no trees to shade the hike, so be prepared for direct sunlight the entire trip. The trail remains a popular destination, because of its spectacular views, and the bragging rights of climbing this active volcano.

Intense, good workout. Fitbit tracked 6.18 miles.

Definitely MUCH FURTHER than 4.4 miles - Fitbit tracked at 7.5 miles round trip. Still a great hike, and we got to do the moonlight experience tonight, which was spectacular! definitely tough, with loads of switchbacks buy big rewards the higher you climb!

Third time I’ve climbed this. This time Thursday oct 11. Nice and chilly morning. Parking lot mostly empty. Saw three people on summit. Stayed up there for a half hour. Views were very good. The trail is vastly improved from my last trip up here which was 11 years ago. At 67 years old I expected a tough climb. The last half mile I had to stop about seven times. As I was starting my descent I walked past about thirty kids and a few adults climbing up. My whole trip up and down was about three and a half hours. Looking forward to climbing brokeoff mountain this coming Thursday. This good weather won’t last much longer

Tough. Windy. Spectacular. Worth every step!

This was my first solo hike! I've been wanting to say that I've hiked Mt. Lassen and now I can. However, it is HARD. I kept seeing reviews about how much harder and better Brokeoff Mountain is, so I went into falsely thinking that meant this trail was a lot easier. I was wrong! It was a gorgeous day and I got started about 10:30 am on a Sunday and didn't see anyone for over an hour on the trail. My legs burned, my chest burned, and it was a chilly 35º, and probably even just barely freezing at the top. I had to stop many times to catch my breath and give my legs a break. The views were magnificent, the sounds of nature were amazing, and being able to sit up on the true summit and breathe it all in was magical. I expected more wind based on reviews, but I got really lucky and the wind didn't pick up until on the way down. It was so clear that you could see all the way to Shasta, which is amazing after a summer full of fires. Steep, elevated, and cold, but breathtaking.

Loved the hike! It was hard but visually stimulating! Hard Ault my boyfriend and I are natives of Redding and this is our first time hiking it! What took us so long ???

An awesome hike. Makes the legs burn. I started a little after 8am. Only a few other folks on the trail. On the way down around 10am there were lots of people coming up. It's a narrow trail. Windy. Great views.

This was the first mountain that I have ever climbed and it was so cool sitting at the summit it felt like we were on top the world. It’s rated hard but I’m 65 years old and I made it so if you’re in decent shape climb and enjoy the view at the top.

So glad I can cross my first mountain peak trail off my bucket list. I wasn’t the fastest but I did get to the top. Sunshine and wind made for a cool start, but soon warmed up. I took plenty of rest breaks on the way up. Beautiful views and the trail was busy today as it was National Park Day. The last bit was the most challenging as the boulders were a bit more challenging with many ways to the top. Go prepared for a hike with some good shoes, appropriate clothing, some water and a snack so you can enjoy your day!

Did this hike yesterday and it was a decent challenge. Great views all the way and especially at the summit. The entire park is beautiful.

When I did this hike on 9/15, it started out nice weather then quickly changed to super windy and snow at the top. I read that the weather can be unpredictable and afternoon showers were common so we started around 10 figured we can get to the top by noon. I started seeing the dark cloud coming toward us and by the time we got to the top it started snow. Adding to the strong wind, the snow made us very chilled. I saw many people not wearing gloves and I was glad I was prepared for a cold weather. It turned out the snow was temporary and after 15 minutes blue sky came out, revealing the surrounding scenic views. The wind was still strong though and made difficult to stay on the top enjoying the views. This hike itself was not a physically demanding but the weather element made us miserable. The view of Mt Shasta was very nice.

super windy and not necessarily fun since the hike is pretty much dry and rocky the entire time. nice to know you climbed the highest mountain in the park though!

Hard. Extremely windy. Breathtaking!

This is an excellent hike. The trail is masterfully constructed. This is a great hike to experience some higher elevation. For more information please watch my video at youtube. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rLfZDe6QPf0&t=15s

Its a great hike to mark off your bucket list if you're an avid hiker. It can be overwhelming for a beginner. It climbs 2000' in just over 2 miles but there are very little stair climbing which makes it easier on your lungs in the high elevation. Mostly in the sun so prepare well, no water source so carry enough. Many don't complete the summit, I suggest not sitting down till you do because I watch many reach the false summit and decide it's good enough cuz it's tough to get back up and move. The last bit is a scramble on steep loose rocky unmarked, choose your own path and don't feel bad if you need to sit a little coming down if you need to if it means summiting. Make sure you photo at the USGS survey marker so you know you've summited. Enjoy the views and then come down into shade to enjoy the views and lunch and watching the proud accomplishers making it to the top! And by the way, don't give a bad star review because of the smoke, it's not the trails fault for something sadly happening miles away, you can still get the amazing feeling you set out for.

beautiful for a waterless hike in the park.
mostly uphill, tons of switchbacks, tested my fear of heights like no other, got a bit windy once we neared the peak.

the feeling of accomplishment is worth it alone, I mean you’re on top of a mountain! but the 360 views are second to none.
very well maintained, sunblock is a must.

Really cool trail with millions of butterflies. Completed during June 2018. Steep, and lots of switchbacks but cool near the top. You can see Shasta from the top

It took us under 4 hours round trip even with a very slow pace going up. Budget for 2.5hrs to get to the top for the sunrise spectacle! It was quite exotic to have the trail lit by all the stars (and I guess headlamps, too). Overall, the hike was quiet and the trail very well maintained. Given that the trail is very exposed, I would strongly suggest doing it first thing in the morning (if not for sunrise!) or in the evening.

Interesting views from the top with the smoke from the fires. Pretty clear to the east and nothing both and west.

My first experience hiking here was for a full moon hike several years ago. I recently hiked here again in early August and while I recommend it, it’s the 2nd time I’ve gotten sick after this hike. I’m not certain if it’s the altitude change or inadequate hydration so be aware. I left at 7am and it was chilly, cold at the top due to winds, and hot on the descent so layers are important. The winds on the ascent can be incredibly strong and gusty so use caution. Water and sunscreen are a must. The last bit to the peak took walking through snow and it was fine. The butterflies are quite a spectacle; amazing to see so many swirling around. Minimal to heavy foot traffic.

Beautiful views even with smoke. Would recommend poles and plenty water.

Well maintained trail. Continual uphill but manageable. Use restroom at trailhead and carry water. Hundreds of thousands butterflies, awesome Visited early on a Monday and crowds were thin. I’d have to recommend Trekking poles. Even under smoky conditions views were good.

Perfect for the hot summer months.

Another perfect hike, this 5 mile stair climber goes up about 2000 feet via a well-maintained trail of switchbacks and through snow and glacier fields. The top is at the weather station and solar panels and is a fairly easy climb if you are careful about where you step. The crushed rock and sand can be slick on smooth rocks. We had a perfect day and were surrounded with thousands of migrating tortoiseshell butterflies. Trail was very busy the week of July 4th, with some folks skiing on the snow fields. If you visit Lassen, don't miss this hike! And take your shoes off in Lake Helen afterwards.

Great hike! Up up and up! Perfect blue skies and tons of butterflies. Then took a refreshing dip in Lake Helen after to sooth the muscles. If you’re in a Lassen, it’s a must-do!

Very cool hike! Up up and more up! We went with my 3 and 8 year old. They both made it to the interpretive signs near the top in their own. I carried my 3 year old in my backpack up the past section that is a little precarious. The first 95% of the trail is very moderate... Just all uphill. The only part of this hike that should qualify it as difficult is the last couple hundred yards which you could easily not do if you didn't feel like it and you'd still feel accomplished having made it up to the first little summit area.

I was out in California visiting a friend and we were driving through the park and randomly decided to do the hike to watch the sunset. A pair of shorts, tank top and flipflops was not the right outfit ... definitely bring a jacket or warm clothing for the top. Regardless of the chill it was totally worth the hike and one of the best sunsets I've ever seen! I will definitely do it again a little more prepared next time.

Great hike with gorgeous views! Mostly switchbacks which is nice considering the elevation gain. Go early if on a weekend, we started around 8:15 and the parking lot was almost full when we got back at 11.

Great trail with great views. It got windy as we got to the top but the temperature was not to bad.

Fun hike, lots of short switchbacks.
Tons of beautiful butterflies and some snow at the top.