Lassen Peak

Lassen Peak is a 4.6 mile moderately trafficked out and back trail located near Old Station, California that features a lake and is rated as moderate. The trail offers a number of activity options and is best used from June until September.

1948 feet

rock climbing

hot springs

Tackle the highest peak in Lassen Volcanic National Park and stand atop an active volcano. Located four hours north east of San Francisco this Northern California park might be a little out of the way, but it's a prime destination for seekers of tranquility and those with even just a passing interest in geology. Mount Lassen is a towering testament to the volcanic origins of this region, and an imposing sight from the trailhead on the shores of Lake Helen. Starting at the parking lot in Lassen National Park, this popular trail makes a steep climb to the summit of Lassen Peak. The hike can be difficult, but the views are well worth the effort. It is truly a worth-while adventure to the top of an active volcano. On the main road through Lassen National Park, a parking lot at the trailhead marks the beginning of the journey. The trail starts at 8500 feet in elevation, and ascend quickly. The high altitude in combination with the steep ascent can make this hike difficult, but the trail is relatively short, a mere 2.5 miles in each direction. There no trees to shade the hike, so be prepared for direct sunlight the entire trip. The trail remains a popular destination, because of its spectacular views, and the bragging rights of climbing this active volcano.

Consistent incline all the way up with views of Lake Helen. Recommend for the average hiker with breaks along the way!

A great trail for any age! The altitude makes it tougher than I expected, but I saw kids and Middle Aged adults on the trail. The top has beautiful views and fun rock formations to boulder around. You can also get to the crater and walk inside, it was so neat! I highly recommend this trail!

definetly a difficult hike if you don’t hike often! but summit was amazing at sunrise!

It was a great hike. It took me and my mom about over 3 hours to get to the top but that was with about an hour worth of resting along the way. It took only about 90 minutes to get hike back down. During the hike the trail is pretty close to some cliffs that drop off, so I would not bring any young kids if you don't want to be worried the whole time (unless your planning on carrying them). Hiking Lassen will be a great memory for me and my mom. Do it.

A little cold at the peak before sunrise, but well worth the awesome view and sunrise.

Super windy but the sunset was unreaaalllll

Incredible! I only did this trail because I wanted to climb a peak, any peak, and Lassen was convenient. Based on descriptions I'd read previously, I expected a boring and tedious hike. Not at all! The views from the very start are spectacular and just keep getting better. On the way back everything is different as you are facing the opposite way. Now I can't wait to go again in June or July, as early as I can. This time was October and the wind was brutal but exciting. Glad I had complete layers including gloves!

Worth all the switchbacks :)

October 1, 2017
Full exposure the entire way, wear sunscreen and bring lots of water. Trail is steep the entire way, definitely a good work out. It's decently hard but people of all sorts hike it. Areas to explore at the top. Large snow patch at the top but easy to cross. Wear/bring warm clothes. Air is brisk, but the full exposure sunlight keeps you warm. Beautiful views.

One of the best hikes I have been on because when I went in the first week of August, there were thousands of California Tortoiseshell butterflies en route during their annual migration. So they were flying around all throughout the trail up and the most being at the peak! Still snow on the trail when we went but with as much foot traffic on the trail, it's definitely passable. Great view of Lake Helen as well!

The best hike I’ve ever done

My friends and I loved this hike! We are all in relatively good shape and although it was only a 5 mile hike, it was still pretty challenging. Definitely well worth all the views though! There was still snow on lots of the peaks and great views of many lakes and peaks in the distance. Make sure to bring a jacket! We started the hike with clear blue skies and rain on the way down the peak.

The last half a mile was strenuous. Take a lot of water.

Hard finding the trail on the last couple hundred feet to the top. Looks like people have made there own trail which made it confusing.

Hike to the peak today. Smoky going up. Fairly easy hike !

i suppose this could be considered a moderate hike, because you die so bad on the way up that the way down feels like a dream. Loved every second can't wait to go again

>8000 feet elevation and elevation gain on this trail make the hike strenuous. There is a bit of a steep, rocky climb at the end to reach the peak. The views are spectacular on the entire trail. The trail goes above the tree line so there is little to no shade for a significant portion of the trail. The trail is very well maintained, but I would recommend hiking poles for the steep, rocky areas and for the snowy areas. There was snow at the top of the climb in late August.

definitely worth doing once. already planning on doing it again.

Amazing views from this trail
We can't wait to do it again

Cold at the top, best to bring a light windbreaker at the least.