Lassen Peak

Lassen Peak is a 4.4 mile moderately trafficked out and back trail located near Old Station, California that features a lake and is rated as difficult. The trail offers a number of activity options and is best used from June until September.

rock climbing

hot springs

Tackle the highest peak in Lassen Volcanic National Park and stand atop an active volcano. Located four hours north east of San Francisco this Northern California park might be a little out of the way, but it's a prime destination for seekers of tranquility and those with even just a passing interest in geology. Mount Lassen is a towering testament to the volcanic origins of this region, and an imposing sight from the trailhead on the shores of Lake Helen. Starting at the parking lot in Lassen National Park, this popular trail makes a steep climb to the summit of Lassen Peak. The hike can be difficult, but the views are well worth the effort. It is truly a worth-while adventure to the top of an active volcano. On the main road through Lassen National Park, a parking lot at the trailhead marks the beginning of the journey. The trail starts at 8500 feet in elevation, and ascend quickly. The high altitude in combination with the steep ascent can make this hike difficult, but the trail is relatively short, a mere 2.5 miles in each direction. There no trees to shade the hike, so be prepared for direct sunlight the entire trip. The trail remains a popular destination, because of its spectacular views, and the bragging rights of climbing this active volcano.

Beautiful views even with smoke. Would recommend poles and plenty water.

Well maintained trail. Continual uphill but manageable. Use restroom at trailhead and carry water. Hundreds of thousands butterflies, awesome Visited early on a Monday and crowds were thin. I’d have to recommend Trekking poles. Even under smoky conditions views were good.

Perfect for the hot summer months.

Another perfect hike, this 5 mile stair climber goes up about 2000 feet via a well-maintained trail of switchbacks and through snow and glacier fields. The top is at the weather station and solar panels and is a fairly easy climb if you are careful about where you step. The crushed rock and sand can be slick on smooth rocks. We had a perfect day and were surrounded with thousands of migrating tortoiseshell butterflies. Trail was very busy the week of July 4th, with some folks skiing on the snow fields. If you visit Lassen, don't miss this hike! And take your shoes off in Lake Helen afterwards.

Great hike! Up up and up! Perfect blue skies and tons of butterflies. Then took a refreshing dip in Lake Helen after to sooth the muscles. If you’re in a Lassen, it’s a must-do!

Very cool hike! Up up and more up! We went with my 3 and 8 year old. They both made it to the interpretive signs near the top in their own. I carried my 3 year old in my backpack up the past section that is a little precarious. The first 95% of the trail is very moderate... Just all uphill. The only part of this hike that should qualify it as difficult is the last couple hundred yards which you could easily not do if you didn't feel like it and you'd still feel accomplished having made it up to the first little summit area.

I was out in California visiting a friend and we were driving through the park and randomly decided to do the hike to watch the sunset. A pair of shorts, tank top and flipflops was not the right outfit ... definitely bring a jacket or warm clothing for the top. Regardless of the chill it was totally worth the hike and one of the best sunsets I've ever seen! I will definitely do it again a little more prepared next time.

Great hike with gorgeous views! Mostly switchbacks which is nice considering the elevation gain. Go early if on a weekend, we started around 8:15 and the parking lot was almost full when we got back at 11.

Great trail with great views. It got windy as we got to the top but the temperature was not to bad.

Fun hike, lots of short switchbacks.
Tons of beautiful butterflies and some snow at the top.

Guys!! The Views were AMAZING. It's a tough climb up (especially if you do the Cinder cone the day before with zero hours of sleep after a 10 hour drive
...haha) but very doable. It's worth it.

Great hike just to many people.

Hiked earlier today. Absolutely beautiful. The scenery with all of the blue lakes is breathtaking. Once you reach the summit there are hundreds of migrating butterflies. Absolutely loved it

Lots of switch backs but worth it

Beautiful hike with breathtaking views the whole way, especially half way. There were thousands of migrating butterflies swarming the peak. Windy at the top. Still snow in July. Definitely recommend!

Great hike and the views were awesome! Had some snow in a few different places near the top. Suggest leaving early as there is no shade on the hike.

Great views. There was still some snow/ice on a steep drop off. Took 2 hrs for the complete hike and 15 mins at the top.

SOOOO WINDY. We came here 6/30 and I misread the forecast between where we’re staying and weather at Lassen. It was 65deg which was great for the hike. However, in various parts of the hike, it was ridiculously windy (and cold) as you get higher up the mountain.

BRING WARM LAYERS if you plan to do this hike.

Hiking poles are optional but not mandatory.

There was indeed a few snow slushy spots, but we got through it just fine.

We initially saw folks with ski gear and I almost thought we weren’t prepared. Checked in with someone who just finished the hike and they reassured us it was doable with what we had.

Enjoy!

Astonishing views and lots of elevation gain. Still icy on one really steep hillside. Be very careful! Highly recommended hike!

Beautiful hike. BRING WATER! I don't know how many tourist hikers I saw that were climbing with nothing...this is not for the faint of heart. Its doable, but my suggestions would be the following: Hat (wide brimmed preferably), water (and extra water), and trekking poles. I went on a Saturday in June later in the day (around 2 PM) and most of the people were coming down the mountain. There is still a far amount of snow, so be aware of the drop offs. There is one part in particular that can be a it nerve wracking, but if all those NP tourist can get around it, you'll be fine. Its about less than a foot wide snow path with a shear drop off on the east side, so be careful and take your time. It can be tough with a lot of tourists thinking its a game, so I waited until about 17 people came down who I thought were going to slide down the slope before I headed up. The peak is beautiful and you can go from the top to the very top where you have to do a bit of bouldering, but the spires get you away from the crowds and give you spectacular 360 degree view of the area. You can even see Mt. Shasta in the distance! To avoid the crowds, I advise early morning or later in the day. When I came down I only passed maybe 5 people coming up the trail so the trail was fairly secluded on my downward trek. Gorgeous hike!

Brilliant views, for a moderately strenuous hike. Left the trailhead at 5am, the snow was very icy and slippery. You get much better traction after the sun has softened it a little. Exposed to strong cold winds, but there is regular shelter, including at the summit.
I lost visibility for over an hour when the clouds rolled in. I waited it out from sheltering rocks as I wasn't in a rush, and I was there for the views.
Amazing sunrise views from the trail, worth the early start and the slippery snow.

We just finished the hike this morning, and it was INCREDIBLE. There is still quite a bit of snow on the trail, so be prepared to slip around a lot if you go soon. I’m not in the best of shape, but hike fairly often, and I think I would consider this a strenuous hike, especially considering the snow. With that in mind, the view at the top was worth the few days I’ll be sore from this hike!

Just did this hike over MDW weekend, and it was awesome. However, they had recently received a bit of snow and the trail was pretty difficult to find, so I just paved my way through the white stuff. I think I was the only one to summit that day, at least I didn't see anyone else on the trail. The peak is amazing, great views, dramatic landscapes and Shasta looming in the distance.

great trip with fantastic views at top. A bit crowded but that is expected given accessibility. Go early to avoid the major crowds. Been up here many times and always like it.

My current PR parking lot to top flats is 34min.

I am trying to hike this weekend 4/28.. I see some roads are closed. Will I be able to hike to summit still?

Thanks for any advice !
Scotty

Did this hike last summer- beautiful and well worth all the switchbacks!

Great view of all volcano types. Good trail and grade.

Awesome trail. Not much shade or coverage. Beautiful scramble in the end.

Loved all of Lassen. Very alpine feel to the park.

Did Bumpass Hell too. How many places can you picnic near the summit of a dormant volcano?