Rocky Ridge Loop Trail

Rocky Ridge Loop Trail is a 4.7 mile moderately trafficked loop trail located near Danville, California that features beautiful wild flowers and is rated as moderate. The trail offers a number of activity options and is accessible year-round. Dogs are also able to use this trail.

Take a stroll around the tall rolling grassy hills East of San Francisco in the Las Trampas Regional Wilderness. Wildflower lovers will love the springtime scenery of Las Trampas Regional Wilderness, but when the blooms have faded this East Bay park still has plenty to marvel at. Eagle-eyed hikers in autumn and winter will spot birds of prey amongst the gliding turkey vultures, and there's also the chance of a golden eagle sighting.

Beautiful hike on a clear day! It was fun to see Diablo get bigger and bigger as we climbed. Also cool to be above the hawks!

We went 2 couples, each with a baby. We took them on baby carriers. The beginning of the hike you ascend very quickly so it can be a challenge, but shortly after ending the paved path the ascent stops and its pretty much little ups and downs from there. It was very windy on top but not cold. Amazing views. Highly recommend.

Awesome trail. Super challenging on the way up, but then you are rewarded with amazing views! Take lots of water, a hat, and sunscreen as most of the path is exposed. Elderberry trail is very uneven and cracked from the rain. Landslide cut through the paved path, towards the top, but easy to get around.

Thanks

Beautiful views. Challenging at first to get your workout in then a nice walk with amazing views at the top.

Great views of Mt Diablo and the city. Also a large assortment of wildflowers during beginning of April.

Challenging scenic hike. Expansive views of Mount Diablo, Mount Tam and SF. Lovely green hills and wildflower meadows. I've lived in the East Bay for over 20 years and never knew about this area. Highly recommended!

It's an amazing spot! 5 stars in my book, for a few reasons. 1. The almost immediate dramatic incline gets your blood pumping quickly, if you like that. Within minutes of climbing 1,000ish ft, views of Diablo to your east appear, with tiny pockets (WAY) behind that of snow-capped Sierras. (With an EBMUD pass, you then enter near the fire road to your right- no cows/dogs beyond here) 2. The beauty of shell fossils, these are the coolest! 3. The vast views of SF bay and beyond. 4. You are practically alone any given weekday.
The most recent reviewer must have come the day(s) after the last rainstorm, of course it'd be messy. This trail was completely dried up on this 75 degree day. As far as a million cows, I saw maybe 8, and very little flops.

Awesome views. Mud is really bad on way down right now. Was with my two boys, 6 and 8. Wouldn't bring kids any younger, my husband had to turn back with my 3 yr old.

It was a decent hike for a family. Only problem was mud puddles while coming back

Tough inital climb to the ridge. Beautiful views of Mt. Diablo and surrounding bay area!

Nice climb to the top of the ridge. Go after the rain to see the animal tracks.

It was a nice workout making the initial climb up the hill. But once you reach the ridge, the views are wonderful. I look forward to coming back and doing all of the other trails at this location.

Thursday, October 27, 2016

Hiked Las Trampas Peak one day and this the next. I was in great hiking shape then and they were both after work. The 3 trails I've done in this system are all great and can be pretty muddy in places. I hardly ever saw another soul on my hikes here. Great views as well. For difficulty maybe the best combination of hikes that close together in the Bay.

Sunday, November 29, 2015

Amazing views of Mt. Diablo and the bay!

Saturday, June 23, 2012

My husband and I have hiked this loop about 8 times per year for the past 7 years. It's our favorite local hike. It's about 8 miles away and free. We typically go up Rocky Ridge View Road, straight to the top, hike along the ridge and the come down Elderberry. I used to take 2-3/4 hours to finish but can now finish in less than 2 hours. We've added on Devil's Hole/Sycamore once when we were up for more of a workout. Sections of Elderberry can be muddy after a big rain. Cows are sometimes (rarely) near the trail, but they don't cause trouble. The views from the top are great on a clear day. There is a clear view of Mt Diablo, Mt. Tam, San Francisco, the bay, Fremont, Mission Peak, and more.

We've also hiked almost all of the other trails in Las Trampas Park. There are other great hikes in the park, but Rocky RIdge Loop is the one I'd recommend overall.

Tip: The road is mostly exposed and therefore hot on hot days, but the ridge top is breezy and there is a mix of sun and shade on Elderberry. On hot days, chose one of the hikes in the Oakland Redwoods instead. Everything in this part of the valley is too warm.

2/25/17 I cannot for the love of God understand all the 5 star ratings. Probably the worst hike I've ever been on. I took a Rocky Ridge to Sycamore to Elderberry loop. Seriously, the mud on Elderberry was ridiculous and then add in that a million cows made it uneven and full of crap. Most of the loop was a farm road so it was mostly wide, graded and not natural looking. It was also pretty heavily used, parking was inadequate and many of the people felt the need to play music and not bring earphones. And everything is always steep. The views at the top of Rocky Ridge were pretty nice but not nearly redeeming enough to make me ever for a second contemplate doing this again.

5/5/2017 This has to be the best loop trail in the bay area. The scenery of the rolling hills on both sides of Rocky ridge and also while coming down the Elderberry trail is breath taking.
We did spot the fossil shells in exactly the area mentioned in this app.
Did spot 1 or 2 little snakes on the elderberry stretch. The Elderberry stretch is a little muddy and uneven due the rains this season.

App says 4.7 miles, but it felt like 6. most of the climb is in the beginning on a paved road. However the Elderberry part also has a few little climbs and it was longer than I was anticipating it to be.

Do visit before the rolling hills turn brown in summer.