Memorial Day Sale! Get a year of AllTrails Pro for only $14.99
Get Started

Las Trampas Ridge Trail is a 15.3 mile moderately trafficked out and back trail located near San Ramon, California that features beautiful wild flowers and is rated as difficult. The trail offers a number of activity options and is accessible year-round. Dogs and horses are also able to use this trail.

Distance: 15.3 miles Elevation Gain: 3,451 feet Route Type: Out & Back

Great views of Mt Diablo and San Ramon Valley

Great hike!!! Of course If you like dry socks and clean shoes you’ll hate it.

One of my favorites! I always take the trail that starts off of Remington Loop in Danville and then meets up with the Ridge Trail. It's mostly uphill on the way, but more than worth the view!

Amazing views & I even saw a Lynx (Bobcat)!!

The first mile or so is a very steep incline. It feels like 45 degrees in places. But once you get through that the views are spectacular & it becomes fairly flat. A lovely walk.

I took the suggestions of other people and started at Ellsworth Staging area (note that the gate to drive to the trailhead opens at 8AM, otherwise you can park close by and hike to the trailhead). The first ~1.5 Miles of this hike are brutal, at certain points a 30%+ grade. After this, it's relatively flat, with some minor ups and downs. There are cows everywhere and they are a lot of times on the trail. At about 4 miles (today) it was really muddy. There also weren't that many people on the trail, not really sure why it's called "Moderately Trafficked". Once you get to about 6 miles you start to descend and it's nice terrain. We stopped at this guy's memorial bench for lunch (he died of cancer, rip). It was in a nice field with a good view. For me personally turning around and heading back didn't feel that hard especially after stopping and eating lunch. Once you get back up it's mostly rolling hills with amazing views. My feet started to hurt around mile 10 there wasn't really much uphill so it was ok. I really enjoyed this hike because the weather was great, there weren't that many people, and it was nice and quiet. Overall the trail was very well maintained without any big branches or anything blocking it. For people who aren't very interested in hiking I would still recommend it for the views. You could just hike in a couple miles then hike back. I'm 14 and did this for my Hiking Merit Badge (15 mile req). We each brought about 2 liters of water and two sandwiches, which worked out nicely.

The uphill challenge from the get go was definitely difficult. Probably about 1.3miles steep uphill before making it to a more doable trail. Beautiful view though!

They must of fixed the route because you can park at Elworthy Staging area, the turnaround point looks private though. Anyways, tons of climbing to start and after you turn around, legs will be fried on that last mile of downhill. Only around 10% shaded so dress accordingly and bring tons of water if you do the entire 16 miles, no water available on the route. With all the sand and dirt clumps I’m sure this is a mess after it rains.

It’s hell uphill

The first mile of this hike is up hill! Wow up hill. The view is amazing!

closed

Ran this with a buddy on a June 9, 2019 midday with 90+ F hot sun beating down, so the lack of shade was made it a extra challenge. Beautiful views on both sides as you cruise the ridge. Lots of flies in some sections and pretty steep inclines/declines make me think it’ll be a while before I attempt to run this again. Note, we started at Elworthy Staging Area since others had noted the trailhead on AllTrails is on private property.

Thu Apr 12 2018

I started from the end point so your experience may differ from the other end. The first .6 miles was quite steep and a bit muddy, but was passable. About a mile and a half in there is a cow pasture. once you get in that area the grade and slippery trail combine to make it to dangerous for me to continue, so I went back. I went in April, so you may want to try it in a dryer time of the year. It was strikingly beautiful though.

Mon Mar 12 2018

Nice views of Mt. Diabolo. If you want to avoid the private roads to the trailhead you can do the trail in reverse, start at Elworthy Staging Area, Las Trampas Regional Wilderness https://goo.gl/maps/RfuuDdmQeuH2

Sat Mar 10 2018

getting to the trailhead is a joke - all the roads are private and gated! didn’t even get to do the hike since i was limited on time and couldn’t add an extra 10 miles of walk/run to the trip

Mon Feb 19 2018

Beautiful views. A few hills, but easy.

Thu Jan 11 2018

Fri Jan 05 2018

Used to hike here all the time. Beautiful scenery. Lots of trails.

Sun Oct 01 2017

Great hike but definitely not a moderate trail! It is very steep and not easy at all! I consider myself athletic and in good enough shape to complete a moderate hike but this is not one of them!

Mon Mar 20 2017

very nice trl.

Sun Mar 05 2017

Update: Looks like the trail has been updated to start at the southern staging area, which is a nice improvement. Ok, so if you intend to do this trail, be prepared for a long hike/bike. You can't park at the trail entrance or anywhere along Las Trampas Rd. There are signs posted everywhere. I parked down on Danville Blvd and biked 1.8 miles up the hill to the trail head. The trail itself was very muddy even though there hasn't been any rain for about a week and a half. The climb up to Las Trampas Peak is pretty rough. It's hard to get traction with all the mud. And I encountered a lot of cows on the trail. After the peak, you stay on the ridge for a few miles and it's a series of ups and downs. That was a lot of fun. The trail lists mountain biking as an option, but technically you're not supposed to take bikes on Las Trampas Ridge Trail past the Bollinger Creek Loop Trail intersection. There is a sign explicitly telling you this. But people do it anyway. This section of the trail is much more narrow and not wide enough for bikers and hikers to share the space, so there is a valid reason for the sign. Just be careful out there ppl. If you complete the whole track, the last mile will be a steep, rutted, cow pasture. It was rough for mountain biking as the cows had trampled the trail and there were some deep ruts that could be problematic. I would suggest taking caution on the final descent. The trail ends at Elworthy Staging Area. You are allowed to park here, so I would suggest leaving your car at this staging area and having someone drop you off at the northern trail entrance (or take Uber). I biked back to Las Trampas Rd. via San Ramon Valley Blvd and Iron Horse Trail. I stopped half-way and took a detour to do the Del Amigo to Eugene O'Neil trail. In total, I biked 19 miles.

Wed Mar 01 2017

Very steep incline to start. Great views of the Bay! Dress in layers, it gets cold and windy at the top on the Bay side.

Sun Dec 18 2016

Beautiful views! Lots of fun with the dogs and kids. We will definitely go again.

Sun Sep 11 2016

my experience: http://from-a-girls-mind.blogspot.com/2016/06/las-tramps-hiking.html

Sat Sep 10 2016

Not easy! But I guess that's always relative.

rock climbing
Mon Jun 06 2016

Best trail with most personal space once passing the permit point... there's rocks to climb too.