Las Llajas Trail

Las Llajas Trail is a 9.5 mile heavily trafficked loop trail located near Simi Valley, California that features beautiful wild flowers and is rated as difficult. The trail offers a number of activity options and is best used from September until May. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

Great mountain and city views, lovely little stream, oaks The trail starts out on the Chumash Trail moving steadily upward for 2.6 miles with interesting rock formations, great views of the city, and somewhat barren hillsides, the result of a fire a few years ago. Bear left at the junction with Rocky peak fire road and follow the ridge line for 1.5 miles to a connector trail to the Las Llajas Trail, Look for fossils after you crest the top of the grade. Head down Las Llajas canyon, with a nice little creek to your left and an occasional cluster of oaks to shade your way. The Las Llajas trail terminates on Evening Sky Drive. Go left on Evening Star until it dead ends, then go through the gate to a short connector trail the leads back to the Chumash Trailhead. Keep a heads up for mountain bikers flying down the trail on this hike!

Beautiful views!

Beautiful, and just enough hard made up by the awesome descents!

Trail so wide with open terrain to hike along the mountains and wildlife.. I did see a deer. Will come back to explore entire loop.⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️.

This is a great 9.51 mile hike up into the mountains. I went on a monday around Noon and I saw 2 people the entire hike outside of the park and neighborhood where you start. This loop is really 3 different sections. The first part is a partly paved/partly dirt road with a slight incline. The 2nd part is the same dirt road but a much steeper incline to the top of the mountains. Total elevation on my hike was 1,796ft. The 3rd part is a narrow rocky trail down the south side of the mountains at a steep decline. According to my apple watch it took me 3hrs and 7mins and I exerted 1,110 calories to complete the hike. For most of the hike you can't see any buildings, feels like you're much further away from the city than you are.

very nice flowers here and there. some birds. I took the bath to the right 1/4 mile in next to the bees. very steep hike.ill try the traditional trail next time.

Fantastic trail! I was there after recent rains so there were small water falls everywhere. Very green! Muddy trail in spots. I had to hop several streams. Trail leads up for several miles with spectacular views on top. Large road leads back down by the runoff stream for several miles. Definitely will come back.

Saturday, August 27, 2016

It's weird that this trail is rated Hard when Chumash is rated moderate and that is the most difficult aspect . The actual Las Llajas trail is a very wide fireroad of moderate incline. You'll approach a fork in the road about 3.5 miles in. To the left is private property so you must head to the right up the semi paved road. This is where the trail starts a steeper ascent. Still a wide fireroad up until you connect to Rocky Peak. Scenery is quite nice and affords views of the Santa Clarita valley.

Wednesday, July 06, 2016

There is more to this trail than just the loop! I did the steam shovel hike. 1.5 hour hike to steam shovel. 1.5 miles back. 3 hours total. Look for shells on the mountain! Bring lots of water! The view at the top is amazing! How did that steam shovel get up there???!!! Careful not to turn an ankle on loose rocks. Someone should mark the tiny trail that takes you up the mountain! It's a hard trail to find if you have never been there before. Leave before sunset or you will be walking home in the dark!!!

Thursday, December 03, 2015

Great loop. Bring lots of water and wear comfy shoes & socks. Well maintained fire road.

Sunday, October 25, 2015

Great trail, will do many more times.

Thursday, October 08, 2015

Better views than just doing Chumash trail.

Sunday, October 04, 2015

I went hiking by myself this morning at 7. Other than 3 runners who were there only at the beginning , I was the only one on the trail until 4 miles out after leaving the Chumash trail. It was great. In addition to being alone, it was completely foggy so was very surreal.

Monday, September 22, 2014

great hike. you can hike this trail in easy mode as I did from chumash to the trail end or you can start at the other ran for an easy start and hard finish. Beautiful trail well groomed and some amazing scenery. its nice to get fresh air.

Monday, February 24, 2014

I hiked this with some friends last weekend. Beautiful hike- nice scenery. Around mid point, there are beautiful Oak trees which seems so green and beautiful against otherwise dry and barren background. Will sure do this again. We started from Flanigan dr on Yosemite. Trail info says elevation gain as 2669 feet but it is no more than 1500 feet in my opinion/experience.

Saturday, November 09, 2013

Thursday, September 12, 2013

I tried this trail , however I missed judged my time for the distance it was and had to turn back due to loss of sun light . I hiked back in dark for the last 45 which was scary and had my blood pumping !!!

I would totally re-do this trail again with more time and light! The views were awesome and peaceful . When it came to night time that's when all the critters came out... I was lucky to take some pics of a scorpion which was pretty rad!!!

Again great hike! Happy Hiking!

Saturday, April 20, 2013

This is a nice hike with some great landscape ad scenic views. Although for my money, the Rocky Peak trail has a little more to offer all around. Great hike, but I will chose to do Rocky Peak 9 times out of 10. Connecting the 2 is fun if you want extra distance.

Sunday, January 06, 2013

Excellent trail and beautiful scenery! All seasons display a unique quality the further you climb. My husband and I enjoy mountain biking here whenever we get the chance.

Saturday, December 29, 2012

This trail is usually a little more heavily travelled than it was today. This may be due to the holidays or the fact that it just rained. It can get a little muddy, but not today. It was cool & clear, but with little or no wind. Visibility from up on top was spectacular. A snow covered Mount Baldy far off to the east was the best feature of today's hike.

rock climbing
Monday, April 02, 2012

Good Trail. However, a lot of these pictures are restricted and the waste management company owns this property.. Pretty scenery