Lane Trail Camp is a 11.8 mile lightly trafficked loop trail located near Boulder Creek, California that features a river and is rated as difficult. The trail is primarily used for hiking, camping, and backpacking and is best used from March until November.

Distance: 11.8 miles Elevation Gain: 1,899 feet Route Type: Loop

closed

To prevent the spread of COVID-19 there is currently no vehicle access to this trail or others in the park. See here for more info: https://www.parks.ca.gov/?page_id=30355 Overnight trip to Lane Trail Camp!

Good hike, but my AT app recoding is showing a mile more @ 13.5, than it’s listed for on AT (and my relatively accurate phone fitness app is showing 14.5). Not hard, but it is long. Trail was in good condition. Some minor rock scrabbling, some minor overgrowth in patches, lots of bugs btw Lane Camp and the Mill. Some pretty good overlooks of Big Basin valley along the Eastern side of the trail. Did it in 8 hrs with a 25 lb pack and two significant breaks (6.5 hr of actual walking time). Shade along the approach to the loop and its southern side but significant stretches of alternating full sun and dappled sun around the rest (from the 8oclock - 4oclock positions of the loop were a clock), glad I had my umbrella. The first chance for water this time of year was a bit downstream of the Johansen Mill and it was pretty stagnant.

Took this trail of the Skyline to the Sea trail to Lane Trail camp for day 2 of our trip. This trail need some maintenance. It leaves the verdant, shady, and impressive valley to climb into the much drier hills. Scrub encroaches in many places. Be aware that there is no water at the camp; bring all you need with you. Not a particularly good hike or trail given other options here.

Sun May 26 2019

Hiked this baby solo on May 25 (Memorial Day weekend). Couple things when going to big basin in general. It’s a beautiful state park. Doesn’t have all the glamorous views but considerably makes up for it with its giant redwoods. I arrived at the park at 745a and got to park in the front row. If you arrive much after 9 it’s busier than Walmart on Black Friday (at least on the weekend). The beginning of this trail is the coolest part. Side note: part of the skyline to sea trail is closed so you have to hike the road for about a mile or two (which if you’re there early enough is still gorgeous since nobody is around). The hike I would rate as moderate vs difficult but is subjective depending on your conditioning. No super spectacular views but redwoods are everywhere and some wildflowers were out when I did this. Solid hike.

Tue Aug 21 2018

I loved this hike! Beautiful views and great shade. I came back on Middle Ridge Rd. instead of coming back on Hollow Tree Trail and really enjoyed it.

Sat Jul 07 2018

I’ve done this hike twice now, once in every direction, in the dead of the summer when the temps are high. About 12.5mi and 2,000ft of elevation. I wouldn’t call it difficult per se, it’s just long. Just under 5.5hrs at a moderate pace with two short stops. What I really enjoy about this loop, is that the majority of it is in the shade with beautiful forest views. Four stars because there really aren’t any breathtaking views from the top, though they are definitely nice - of more forest, as far as the eye can see. Would gladly go again.

Tue Jan 02 2018

I did my first solo backpacking trip on this trail. The ascent to camp was what I’d consider moderate, starting on Skyline and gaining more elevation on Lane Hollow. My FitBit logged 252 flights climbed, but it was very much dispersed. I also logged 7.6 miles to camp, and 20 overall on this loop making it much longer than this says! The descent was what I’d consider easy with no extended periods of incline or decline. It was very easy imon my knees and ankles with a pack. Camp was lovely with six or so sites, a pit toilet, and a bear container for food. I didn’t filter water, but there are opportunities to do so. The views are definitely on the way down on the Basin trail. The hike up and the campground are in pretty thick forest. I hiked for approximately seven hours with a 35 pound pack, just to give an idea of your timeline, and I am in fine hiking shape but otherwise, have had a very lazy season. I arrived at camp very early because I anticipated a more difficult hike.

Wed Nov 08 2017

Went to hike this trail but unfortunately I didn't bring enough water thanks to the record heat at the end of October. The 4 1/2 miles in before I had to turn was beautiful though. I'll get you next time Lane Trail Camp!!!

Mon Sep 11 2017

Great viewpoints during skyline to the sea trail. Camped at lane campground. Had to pack up early in the morning due to mosquitoes. Would recommend this hike

recorded Lane Trail Camp