Lamarck Lakes via North Lake Campground

Lamarck Lakes via North Lake Campground is a 4 mile out and back trail located near Bishop, California that features a lake and is rated as moderate. The trail is primarily used for hiking, walking, camping, and nature trips and is best used from July until October. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

Distance: 4.0 miles Elevation Gain: 1,627 feet Route Type: Out & Back

well worth the effort. in October your feet stay dry and there are no bugs. however, I would rate the second half of the hike more in the difficult category. not only is it incredibly steep, but it starts to feel like a StairMaster. The lower portion is definitely moderate and a beautiful hike in its own right. I parked in the day use area and round trip to the upper lake and back was 6.3 MI. it will be closer if you park in the pack area as other people have noted. The trail leaves from inside the campground.

not a super long hike. but it was challenging uphill to reach the lake. beautiful once you are at the lakes.

Lower lake is nice great fishing. Went on to wonder lakes. Tough hike but worth it for the fishing.

A great hike with views in abundance. Glad we brought our water shoes in order to get across the creek at intake of Lower Lamarck. The scenery at Upper Lamarck was fabulous...but a little hard to get to the outlet itself....but all good in the end. Bring mosquito repellent!

Great quick and steep work out with beautiful views

Awesome!

Beautiful hike. Hiked in mid-July 2019. Mixed sun and shade, muddy at base but no snow on trail at top. Bring bug spray for mosquitoes and light jacket for top as some gusts of wind come through. There’s no day-use parking at North Lake Campground so you have to park at the pack station, roughly a 15 minute walk down the road from the trailhead.

I hiked to lower Lamarck on July20. Bring the deet spray for mosquitoes. No snow on trail. The stream crossing at lower lake is doable but expect to get wet. Popular with locals and dogs.

Did this hike on July 13th and went as far as Lower Lamarck Lake. There was a little patch of snow near the lake, but was otherwise snow-free. Uphill the whole way to the lake with lots of switchbacks. Most of the trail to Lower Lamarck is forested (aspen, pine), which provided shade but also meant lots of mosquitoes and fewer awe-inspiring views. The scenery at Lower Lamarck Lake makes the hike well worth it, though—it opens up at the lake, offering gorgeous views of craggy granite peaks towering above crystal clear water. It’s a classic High Sierra scene.

The hike up to the lake was very tough, at least for me, maybe I’m out of shape lol. As soon as we got to the lake we caught fish. The Brook Trouts were kind of small, but I’m sure there are some larger fish. Between the four of us, we caught thirteen fish within an hour. This lake is absolutely beautiful I’m so glad we decided to do this.

Friday, July 20, 2018

Great hike for me and my three boys. Intended to get to Upper but outflow was higher than I wanted. Hiking in soaking shoes and socks would not have been fun. Caught lots of 6-7 brookies on elk hair caddis.

Tuesday, July 17, 2018

Rain and hail so be prepared

Monday, July 16, 2018

Challenging in the heat, but worth it for the views.

Friday, June 01, 2018

Beautiful hike. I had been to Grass Lake, but never Lamarck. It is beautiful

Monday, May 28, 2018

GREAT hike.

Saturday, October 28, 2017

this trail should be rated as hard it's pretty steep hike up to the lake but I would do it again great views

Thursday, October 12, 2017

Thursday, August 31, 2017

Trail in great shape today. Smoke could be seen looking back toward Owens Valley due to active fires burning north of Mammoth.

Thursday, July 27, 2017

Trail to lower Lamarck in good shape except for a couple places trail crew was working which required careful steps. My wife and I turned back on way to Upper Lamarck where trail crossed the stream, which was too high and without easy crossing for us to chance for a simple day hike. No mosquito issues after leaving North Lake Campground trailhead. Lower Lamarck is gorgeous!

Tuesday, July 18, 2017

Great hike. Tough but well worth it. if anybody find a Nissan key with a pink 550 cord key chain they are mine please let me know.

Sunday, July 09, 2017

Great hike; took about 4 hours round trip.. Moderately difficult in some spots and the views are fabulous. We saw a deer about a mile in. Wear sun protective clothing and plenty of mosquito repellent (they are bad towards the bottom by the trailhead). Great spots along the way if you'd like to eat a snack or lunch but the top, the lake is spectacular. Bring lots of water too. This time of year the weather was perfect, no need for a jacket at the top of this hike. Do not stop when you first see the lake (another hiker mentioned too) - keep going and you'll see an awesome river coming off the lake with snow still melting. Highly recommend for a nice shorter hike.

Sunday, July 09, 2017

Too beautiful for words. The climb definitely wasn't trivial but the scenery made it totally worth it. I'd do it again in a heart beat.

Friday, June 30, 2017

June 30th 2017 This trail is awesome. Lots of mosquitos at the base. I couldn't get up to the upper Lamarck lake because there were some ice bridges to cross. The lake shimmers in the sun. Nothing like I have seen before.

Thursday, April 06, 2017

This is a great hike. First half is all up, but you can do it. Just take an extra break or two. We stayed the night near upper Lamark lake in fall. No one was in the area but us. It was great. The lakes are so blue and clear.

Saturday, March 04, 2017

My wife and I did this hike as our warm up for another back country trip. It's a nice hike and does have some elevation gain to it. But it's not a long hike so it doesn't wear on you. Both lakes are very scenic and we saw a few guys fishing the lower lake. You do have to park at North Lakes parking area and then hoof it to the trailhead. No big deal. Nice easy jaunt if you're looking for something that won't have you dragging your feet by the time you get back to your car :)