Lake Natoma Trail

Lake Natoma Trail is a 11.1 mile moderately trafficked loop trail located near Orangevale, California that features beautiful wild flowers and is good for all skill levels. The trail offers a number of activity options and is accessible year-round. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

paddle sports

Really great trail! Lots of bikers when I was out. There was a closure that stopped me from doing the full loop but other than that this was a really nice trail.

Enjoyable ride, but pretty easy to lose the trail if you're not paying enough attention. Decent frontage trail for the MTB'ers, but this is mostly a roadie trail. So leave your knobbiest tires at home and prepare for asphalt 50% of the time.

Beautiful Hike. So peaceful and friendly people along the way

I love this trail! I like riding my bike here : )

Nice long loop - start early morning if it is hot. Entire trail took 3.5 hours with one pit stop at the aquatic center. There are 3 slide areas south of Negro Bar that have have been traversed so many times there is a path over/around each area.

it was mostly bike trail. not a lot of actual hiking. the lake was awesome, it was a lovely day, but kind of disappointing.

Sunday, February 12, 2017

Started at the aquatic center and checked out the rowing facilities. Took the North trail out all the way to Old Fiolsom, grabbed lunch at the Hacienda and headed back on the south trail side which has well groomed walking trails separate from the bike trail. Lots of places to access the water. It's Lakeside trails for walking almost the whole trip. Beautiful!

Monday, January 30, 2017

Great Sunday walk around the lake. Saw two bald eagles & some deer. Had to climb over a rockslide at one point, but for the most party was easy walking.

Monday, September 05, 2016

Mostly flat, lots of bikes, which is expected of course, and lots of other walkers/joggers. I found it quite annoying that people with tank sized strollers blocked entire sides of the bike lane while walking on incorrect side of the bike trail but that's always the case anywhere along the American River Trail system. The plus side is a lot of opportunity to get off main trail to explore, plus the lake of course to jump in when it's hot.

Saturday, September 03, 2016

One of my favorite local morning hikes. I usually start in Historic Folsom. Free parking and the old power plant is interesting. Cross over the truss bridge to the north trail since it is less shaded and the mornings are cooler then use the more shaded southern trail passing the CSUS Aquatic Center for the way back. Don't feel like you have to stay on the paved bike trail. Lots of dirt trails with great river access run parallel and more enjoyable. Enjoy the fish hatchery and aquatic center and make a day of it. Plenty of places in Historic Folsom to eat and drink both before and after the hike. PS - I always get closer to 13 miles.

Wednesday, August 31, 2016

We walk this one with our double stroller. It's a beautiful walk from start to finish. We start from Main Ave/Dredger Way in OV, and walk towards Folsom/Negro Bar to a good stopping point along the river. This trail tends to get a ton of bikers, so be prepared for that.

Friday, August 26, 2016

Great place to hike! Really love this big open area. Feels like you can get lost here if you manage to ignore the sounds of the Hwy 50 traffic. Other than that it feels like you have the whole place to yourself. Plenty of wild life, scenic hills you can scramble up for a view of the lake and the surrounding foothills of the Sierra. Lots of densely forested areas with accessible trails for all levels. If you do not respect nature then stay the hell out!

Tuesday, August 09, 2016

Decent hike for being close but I wouldn't travel to far for this one. Did the whole loop and ended up doing 12.7 miles due to a detour on the trail as you get closer to Old Folsom. The loop is mostly on a paved bike trail so keep and eye out for bikers cause there are many. I brought my dog and they are allowed as long as they are one a leash but keep in mind on a hot day the pavement will be to much for their paws and dog boots are mandatory.

Friday, July 08, 2016

Easy and fun

Saturday, June 11, 2016

Great day to hike, watch people fish, run, bike and enjoy nature!..great for the entire family!

Monday, May 23, 2016

nice one ... the river bank is serene and cool

Monday, April 25, 2016

it's been a while since I have done any regular hiking and my boyfriend and I want to start doing it more so we figured we would give this one a try. it was a good hike/walk. thinks to keep in mind when preparing for it. Sunscreen and a hat are a must! I'm pretty fair and my boy friend is darker, we both got burnt, me worse than him but it is still noticable. bring lots of water if you're going to do it as a good part of the trail is without cover. there are several picnic tables on the folsom side. I suggest walking until you fine one with a view of the lake. it was a good starter. I think shorter hikes with the pups for a little while before we try to tackle another longer one.

Saturday, March 19, 2016

Really fun trail on mountain bike with a good mix of trail types. A good deal of fun single track.

Tuesday, February 16, 2016

Great trail, even tho bikers are a bit rude even if you stay on your lane. Other than that is great!!!
Kids love skipping rocks.
We start behind Dos Coyotes.

Tuesday, September 29, 2015

A lot of cyclist because it is made for them. Preferred terrain instead of pavement coz is not good for your feet and legs if not use to it but we still did 12miles. So not bad for the goal but will not be back unless we get into cycling

Friday, August 21, 2015

I love the trails. The only down side is that some of the bikers don't like having pedestrians on the trails, even though we stay in our lane.

Tuesday, July 28, 2015

Tuesday, June 23, 2015

Very easy trail. We saw 2 deers today.

Wednesday, May 27, 2015

One of my favorite local trails.

Saturday, October 04, 2014

This was a great easy trail. Minor elevation changes. About 11.5 miles total. There were a good amount of bikers and joggers but it wasn't terrible. If you try and start at Negro Bar Park like I did, you end up paying 10.00 to park. I highly recommend parking on a side street somewhere nearby. The whole trail was paved but there are plenty of offshoots to go on which are dirt.

Thursday, July 31, 2014

Wonderful workout, beautiful view and great tan lol

Thursday, June 19, 2014

The directions given from the app shoot you up into a residential area where you have to park then follow a chain link fence down to the lake, but there were tons of much better options to park at that we saw once we were down there. It was steep and hot on the way back up. Should have done more research but anyhow! Once down there the lake is lovely and the bike trail rapped around the lake is paved and wide enough for everyone. Everyone we encountered were super nice and cautious. We took our German shepherd, she loved the water and watching the ducks. Only thing she didn't love was the HOT pavement on her paws so it may be best to not go on a hot day with your dog. We were on the more exposed side but altogether it was a lovely trip. Will definitely be going back for kayaking.

Sunday, June 08, 2014

Beautiful trail on the east side, very scenic. West side more exposed to sun with little shade. Wide enough on paved area to let cyclists pass easily, but some of the off road walking paths were a little tight for bikers to ride around. Some good bird watching in the area. Very dog friendly.

Saturday, December 07, 2013

This was a great area started the first hike up on the bluffs. The second time started at negro bar and went to the aquatic center mostly on dirt trails. Loved it

Saturday, May 04, 2013

This trail was not difficult to find but if you are not acquainted with the bike trail getting to the Lake Natoma Trail can be frustrating. But once you are on it, Other than the falling rocks from the near by cliffs and rare and rumored Mountain Lion sightings this trail is beautiful. Lots of wildflowers, fish, animals, and of course birds. It takes you by the Negro State Park which is a nice little rest as well. Enjoy!