Lake Natoma Trail is a 11.1 mile heavily trafficked loop trail located near Orangevale, California that features a river and is good for all skill levels. The trail offers a number of activity options and is accessible year-round. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

Distance: 11.1 miles Elevation Gain: 423 feet Route Type: Loop

paddle sports

paved

fee

The parking lots for this trail has been closed due to COVID 19. Note: There is a $10 entrance fee for vehicles.

What a ride!

This is definitely a trail to bike

Nice paved loop bike ride from old Folsom. Pretty busy but people do a good job getting out of each other’s way. Got a few bugs to the face. Plenty of places to stop and relax at a picnic table or use the restroom at the hatchery. Some hills but not too bad. Will do again.

Great trail for bike riding with beautiful scenery all around. I especially liked that there are many picnic tables to stop at for a break/picnic with a great view of the lake. Also watching the sunset near Rainbow Bridge or Negro Bar area is an added bonus.

I wish I had this app before committing to walk around the lake. The parking attendant told me it was seven miles around when I asked. Luckily I still made it back before the sun set. Was a really nice walk. Poison oak was present in some areas and this was my first instance of seeing an Aristolochia (CA pipevine) in the wild, the host plant for the Pipevine Swallowtail butterfly. Was very much a biker paradise, though. There was a cool section between the lower parking lot and Willow Creek inaccessible to bikes where there were stone stairs. Currently Orange Beach is closed for renovation through October but you can still get around construction along the lake or closer to the road. The Mississippi Bar is a series of what I presume are artificial hills since this is an outlet lake for Folsom Dam. I thought I was following a trail and found a hollow tree that someone has been using for #2. Needless to say, stick to trails.

We parked in Folsom near Mike’s Bikes and entered the trail there. The entire loop is paved. We brought our 4, 6, and 10 year old kids with us, stopping along the way to throw rocks in the lake or in the many shady spots to look for birds. Going over the overpass by Nimbus Fish Hatchery was a little hairy, but it’s safe and blocked off from traffic well. Took our family a little over 2 hours with many stops along the way for the kids.

The northern portion by Negro Bar is finally open! Parked at the Nimbus Fish Hatchery for free. Excellent loop for cyclists.

closed

I biked this loop on Jan 18 2020. Parked at Folsom Outlets for free. Much hillier than I expected. I'm posting to update the trail closure on the north side due to landslide danger. The most recent update on the Folsom park website in October stated the work would be finished by the end of 2019. The huge concrete barriers blocking the trail indicate it's still not complete.

This is not a trail. This is not “hiking”. The entire path is paved unless you try the narrow dirt path to the side of the pavement. Not super shady but nice in winter. The map here on all trails follows the American river bike path, so this trip was pretty basic, boring, and lame. Definitely not worth $10 for parking.

closed

Trail is closed 9-10 miles into hike... easy to get around! Wouldn’t risk it when people are working. Land slide risk is very high!

Great easy hike. Lots of runners and bikes. Nice views.

nice easy walk with the family. shady trail is shady but has poison oak all over the sides of the trail. we made a bit of a loop to get back to the car and that had no shade at all.

very slight hills, moderate sun. Pretty much a good flat out Trail for speed walking.

Definitely a biking trail. Dog on leash an ok hike but without very much shade at 9-11am.

Tue May 14 2019

short 1.0 mile loop

Sun May 12 2019

North side of the lake has three mudslides that are contained but make for an adventure when riding your bike so do watch out for that

Thu May 09 2019

beautiful trail, parts of it blocked off after rock falls overall a safe trail, very beautiful and peaceful, strongly recommend for a scenic run

Thu May 09 2019

great hike.. nice trail and gorgeous lake views! next time will bring bike!

Sun May 05 2019

Mon Apr 08 2019

awesome trail. this is my first time hiking in years.. will definitely be coming back more prepared.

Sun Mar 03 2019

$10 to get in and it seems to spit you out a little in Folsom, but overall a nice hike.

Sat Jan 05 2019

Went with my family of 5 and it was very doable. There were 2 barricades on the west side of the trail because of some rock slides that block the path. There are small paths that go right around and connect back onto the main road. The small detours were a little too difficult to ride our road bikes through, but we just picked them up and walked them. The paths are easy enough to walk or mountain bike through. The rest of the path is very beautiful and a pleasant ride.

Sun Oct 21 2018

This is the first hike I’ve done that was longer than 2 hours and I hurt. I’ll definitely do this once a month to see if I can do it faster. Yes there are barriers blocking part of the path but follow the footsteps on the ground and you’ll get around easily. The trail itself was easy just stick to the bike trail to avoid confusion i hit a dead end twice when I thought I could follow the map/app. Speaking of bike path there are a lot of bikers. I started at 8:30am and I saw cyclist from the minute I started until I finished. (5hrs later) it’s nice to know you don’t have to worry about being alone for too long. Someone will zoom by you sooner or later. The view of the river/lake was so nice it made the jello feeling in my thighs soooooo worth it.

Thu Aug 30 2018

Nice trail for biking or walking. Be aware the trail is closed due to landslides on the west side of the lake about 2 miles south of Negro Bar. You cannot make a full loop. You will have to use another trail as a detour.