Lake Hughes Truck Trail

moderateYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarGray Star(42)
Angeles National Forest

Lake Hughes Truck Trail is a 19.3 mile lightly trafficked out and back trail located near Lake Hughes, California that offers scenic views and is rated as moderate. The trail is primarily used for hiking and off road driving.

Distance: 19.3 miles Elevation Gain: 3,087 feet Route Type: Out & Back

ohv / off road driving

ohv/off road driving

This was an easy ride but I could see it being a bit more treacherous on a wet day. We stopped at the fire road intersection for a little extra hike down the PCT with the pup. Overall nice scenic drive.

Fun easy off road trail did it in 2wd

Is this open right now ????

ohv/off road driving

This was my first off roading experience. I have a RAV4 adventure. It’s a light off roading vehicle, and we had no problems with this trail. There are some spot on this trail that have some corrosion from vehicle use and rain fall. We also saw a large rattle snake when we pulled over for a break, so look out.

ohv/off road driving

Girlfriend wanted to go see the poppies blooming. Go figure (I guess it was all over IG) so after seeing a bunch of well over dressed girls pose to the camera in the flowers we drove 10min to this trail. Great for beginners I don’t even think I needed 4x4, just a vehicle with enough clearance. My raptor was snoozing the whole time

ohv/off road driving

Super easy trail. A few ruts towards the end but nothing crazy at all.

ohv/off road driving

Gate at San Francisquito is locked, not open to vehicles.

ohv/off road driving

The trail is beautiful, reminded me of Central and South America because of all the green. I will definitely go back. The trail is very narrow but overall very smooth not a lot of rocks. You definitely want to have a vehicle with high clearance. 4x2 maybe but not my recommendation

ohv/off road driving

Great network of trails. Overall, an easy go. Stock Subaru Crosstrek did well. A few rocky areas but nothing too terrible. Just wish there was shade. Definitely want to get out there earlier in the day and do more exploring next time.

The best

Great trail, plenty of great spots to stop and get out and enjoy walking around with my pup. Not as muddy as I thought. Very easy trail Rubicon Moab stock The dogs at the end will startle you and you’ll nearly hit them. Just keep driving and mind them.

did this in a 2019 ford raptor stock. not a very wide trail but I made it with minor pin striping. the trail was very muddy and a lot of fun. the dog was at the end of this trail and I almost ran him/her over by accident. the dog was chasing my tires... I heard there were 2 dogs at one time....

Crazy Cujo dog greets you at the end with a FU.

Just a fire road. Lots of new growth since fire. Not much shade but groomed well.

ohv/off road driving

The 2 dogs at the end of the trail are still barking and very much alive! But trail was good followed the route which was on point!

ohv/off road driving

This was the first trial I took my 2019 rubicon JL. We followed the map on all trails and it was exactly as shown. We found a spot to eat and enjoy the views. It was a good day.

Sun Apr 28 2019

Very easy trail! If you’re new to wheeling or just have some spare time on your hands and want to hit a trail, this is the trail for you. Honestly, you can probably do the entire trail without using your rig’s 4x4. The only place you might need it is in uphill areas where other drivers have misshaped the trail. A word of warning. Be careful when entering or exiting the trail through San Francisquito Canyon Road. There is a home right by the trail maker that allows its two dogs to run loose. They will bark and aggressively run up to your car, so be careful not to hit them.

Fri Feb 01 2019

Not sure why it's rated as hard. it was really just a series of dirt roads. Don't recall ever needing to use 4lo and I think most suvs and trucks could even do it in 2 wheel drive. It's fine for a relaxing cruise but if you're looking for obstacles or climbs, I didn't see that here.

Sat Sep 01 2018

was a very well maintained trail. only needed 4 wheel drive a few times though. great views of the hills from top

Wed Apr 25 2018

Definitely not hard as rated. Wide truck path with slight incline/decline. No shade though so not ideal for warmer weather

Wed Apr 25 2018

Hiked this today and it was glorious with some spectacular views.

Sun Mar 12 2017

Went with a buddy and it was a great adventure. Sat alongside the road 2 miles in and had lunch under the sun. Looking over the hillside at Mother Nature's Best. Definately do it again but this time further up.