Lake Hodges Overlook Trail

Lake Hodges Overlook Trail is a 5.6 mile moderately trafficked out and back trail located near Escondido, California that features a river and is rated as moderate. The trail offers a number of activity options and is accessible year-round. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

paddle sports

Loved this hike- starts an uphill trek to get the heart rate going- pretty little creek then somewhat levels at one mile up- beautiful views of olevhain reservoir and lake Hodges- spotted red tail hawks and other birds ,a roadrunner and nice trails along the way- definitely going back.

Hiked there today, had a great time. Very good workout, half of the hike is uphill so be prepared with lots of water. It’s only shaded on some parts, so I also recommend bringing sunscreen. It’s a long hike but the view is worth it, especially when you get down by the reservoir. The hike up is fairly crowded and you have to be careful when people are passing you on the narrow path. There are many pretty wildflowers, you also get to see lizards.

My only real complaint is that one of the tags on the hike is misleading. It shows that there is forest on this hike, but it’s not true. There are trees for only a fourth of the hike, the rest is open brush and rocky terrain.

All in all it was a good hike. I’d do it again :)

Beautiful hike! Gate to the parking lot doesn’t open until 8am. Get there early as this is a popular area and a popular trail. I have sensitive knees, so I has glad to have trekking poles for the way back.

Honestly, it was a fun hike. Sharp ascent and some pretty good views along the way. We had a fun time!

Pretty nice hike, the elevation switches up a lot and once I got past the all the way up junction there wasn't that many people out there. It was a really beautiful out there, blue skies and lots of sage.

Pretty moderate hike with amazing views!

Fun uphill hike!

I loved the trails. The main trail leads to a lake. Took my dogs off leash for a little while and they loved it. Lots of up hill at first. I would come back here its a good workout.

Great hike for dogs. Lots of elevation gained in the first mile with nice shade. At the top the trail widens and there are tons of options for where to head next. Really enjoyed, will be back.

loved it. great hike. bring water

Awesome trail! Lots of other trails branch off the main trail so there are plenty of options for adding additional miles

Great hike the views at the top are rewarding

This place is AWESOME, especially if you have a dog!! So the trail itself, is pretty well maintained. I would recommend using the AllTrails Map, because it branches off at a few points. About 1 mile in, you are able to take your dog off leash, until you finish the trail and are back at the 1 mile mark!! The trail itself had some beautiful sights along the way. Just beware, there are certain parts that are a little steep, there is little to no shade, and my GPS tracked me hiking 6.53 miles, not 5.9 miles. Overall, it is a great trail that I would recommend.

Scenic but a bit rocky and loose in spots.

Wonderful hiking area! I will return to explore other trails. However my GPS disagrees with the stated mileage - I clocked 7.6 miles.

I love this place

Easy but beautiful area.

Not for the faint of heart! Most of it is uphill. Bring snacks and water!

I loved this area! Many different trails to choose from.

Amazing trail. Very clean. Took us 4hours to do the whole loop. Walking slow and having 5-7mins rests here and there. Great one!

Great area to explore. There are so many trails, very well marked. We ended up logging about nine miles before I had realized how far we'd hiked. I found this hike looking for interesting local trails and read about the Elfin Forest's haunted past. Great dog hike too.

Great workout!

Beautiful scenery everywhere, from the waterfall, to the lake and dam, to the breathtaking views. So much to see and several different trails. I did the trail to Lake Hodges lookout and then did the extra loop trail from there to get in the extra mile. Some great steep hills for cardio!

Nice hike up to the Lake Hodges Overlook. The first half is a mile and a half of switchbacks going up about 800 feet. The rest of the elevation gain is going up and down hills at the reservoir top on the way to the overlook. Make sure you have good footware. The trail is quite rocky at times.

Cool hike in Escondido.

The Lake Hodges Overlook trail is the longest trail in the park. There are other trails that aren’t as long or steep. The view of the lake is beautiful and worth the long incline. Also, if you have a Fitbit and like to keep track, you can easily cover 10,000 steps if not more, on this trail!

Went with 10 year old son. Was easy for both of us.

Great hike beautiful views

Instant workout, staging area and then a climb to the top. I want to say it was 1100 ft elevation climb in about 1.75 miles to the top, completely worth it. Over all great trail, it’s pretty popular and it has markers in the paths.