Memorial Day Sale! Get a year of AllTrails Pro for only $14.99
Get Started

Lake Hennessey Shoreline Trail / Alta Hennessey Loop

moderateYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarGray Star(213)
Napa County Regional Park

Lake Hennessey Shoreline Trail / Alta Hennessey Loop is a 5.5 mile heavily trafficked loop trail located near St. Helena, California that features beautiful wild flowers and is rated as moderate. The trail offers a number of activity options and is accessible year-round. Dogs are also able to use this trail.

Distance: 5.5 miles Elevation Gain: 708 feet Route Type: Loop

The trail was great for hiking and has beautiful views. Only downside... found a tick on my dog the day after the hike. Thankfully he only had one and we randomly noticed it while giving him a scratch on his tummy.

The trail is very easy it is like a fun trail to do and it is good for beginners

Great trail. There’s some shade along the trail. Beautiful view. Expect inclines but manageable.

Great hike with an incline at the beginning and fairly flat the rest of the way. Went mid afternoon and was able to get quite a bit of shade, but hotter temperatures. I definitely recommend this hike.

Beautiful trail- all the elevation at the beginning and then a nice stroll along the lake for the second half. Free but limited parking.

03 APR 20 Well cleared and maintained trail with a clean toilet near the trailhead. A few mountain bikers, but plenty of room to share the trail. We took the Alta Hennessy Trail (clockwise) first. Coming back on the gravel by the lake on the Shoreline Trail we ran into a rattlesnake that wasn’t all too interested in letting us pass. We decided to let him have his sunbath and backtracked a bit to Sam the Eagle Trail which ended up adding some enjoyable elevation and shade.

The hike itself wasn’t challenging, from Chile’s creek to shoreline and back up to Chile’s to the parking lot. It was a tiny bit difficult to find it on google maps, it’s important to note the trail head is in Moore Park. These trails are shared with mountain bikers, so you may find yourself moving to the side of the trail on many occasions. Also after getting home I pulled off 5 ticks from my puppy, 3 ticks off one dog, and 2 ticks off another. My friend I hiked with pulled a tick off of herself. We were well dressed with sleeves and pants. The weather was perfect when we went, not too hot and not too cold. The lake was beautiful. So many oak trees, the groves are magical. We saw a cute garter snake too. I won’t be going back though, re: ticks.

BEAUTIFUL trail this time of year! Lots of green grass and Spanish moss on all the trees.

Great place to go for a run or long walk. Lots of open space and great views.

It rained shortly before we hiked so it was quite muddy. Easy stroll after a short elevation.

Beautiful trail. Not busy at all on a Tuesday. I recommend going uphill first instead of along the lake; shorter time climbing hills and not as steep but still a good work out. We saw a bald eagle and lots of other birds! My dog wasn't supposed to swim in the lake but.....

Good hike I started out clockwise to do the elevation aspect first. Was a nice work out with a good view! Lots of birds for bird watching. I did see some deer which was a nice bonus! Definitely be sure to bring water, sunscreen, and a hat. There’s not much shade on the end of the hike.

Nice hike with great views! No motorized boats, so it is serenely quiet. Great for bird watching too.

Tue May 28 2019

Dog friendly trail. awesome hike and views. Watch out there are a lot of ticks!!

Loved it, couple of small hills but nothing too hard. Dogs loved it!

Sun May 12 2019

This hike wouldn't be much fun on a hot day. With the lake nearby it makes for some nice views. If you start clockwise you can knock out the elevation earlier in the hike, but the rest of it by the shoreline will have no shade, so pick your poison on what you would rather have for the last half of the hike. Also, like much of norcal hill hikes, they are ticks so be prepared. I pulled 9 off myself and my two dogs.

Sun Mar 31 2019

Hiking with 3 kids, (5,9,11) following Alta to Sam the eagle, to Shoreline trails, approx 3 miles. Things to note with children, switch backs are single file and sometimes rocky with a steep ledge, my inexperienced kids managed it fine. Not a lot of shade so be prepared with water and sunscreen and hats. Very rocky wear sturdy shoes. We went clockwise based on suggestions so steep climb for the first .5 to .6. Found doing that first made the hiking more enjoyable since we finished on a completely flat trail.

Sun Mar 31 2019

Good for a leisurely stroll. The uphill part was a bit hard at first, but not too challenging. Well worth it. Good couple hour hike! Waterfront is beautiful! Dog friendly too!

Sat Feb 23 2019

Great trail, especially in the spring when everything is still green. Good trail for dogs, except you have to keep them on a leash near the lake because they aren't allowed in the water (stupid).

Thu Feb 07 2019

Wonderful lake views, lots of different ducks/herons/birds. I will echo the recommendation of some of the other reviewers and suggest going clockwise so the elevation change is at the start!

Wed Jan 02 2019

great wide trail with spectacular views on the mountain side

Sun Dec 30 2018

Trails along the lake and hills offer great views of the lake. Enjoyed the birds nesting in the grasslands...ducks, woodpeckers, herons, etc . Trails are great condition. Oak trees on the hills offer a bit of cover.

Fri Dec 28 2018

Go clockwise! Otherwise the hard part of the trail is at the end. Beautiful trail in the winter. I think this would be super hot in the summer. We had a great time.

Sun Nov 11 2018

Beautiful trail and nice hike. Only downside is that they seem to have put new "No Parking" signs at the trailhead, so we were not sure where to park. We parked about a mile away on the road where we could pull off. Maybe someone else can provide recommendations on where to park!