Lake Chabot: West Shore, Bass Cove, Columbine, Honker Bay, East Shore Loop

Lake Chabot: West Shore, Bass Cove, Columbine, Honker Bay, East Shore Loop is a 8.4 mile moderately trafficked loop trail located near San Leandro, California that offers the chance to see wildlife and is rated as moderate. The trail offers a number of activity options and is best used from April until October. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

paddle sports

partially paved

Dogs on leash in developed areas/under voice command in undeveloped areas of the park. You can avoid a large portion of the paved East Shore Trail by taking the southern Cameron Loop after crossing the Honker Bay bridge, Ten Hills Trail, and Indian Cove Trail leaving a very short paved section to the Marina

It’s 9 miles amazing views and trial is moderate:

beautiful views, quiet and serene.

its actually longer than 10..miles

Hiked counterclockwise in order to climb the only decent hill on the trail. For a 9 mile hike, it's a good workout. A little muddy today.

Well-maintained trail and good workout. We went opposite direction, so one steep uphill part. Nice mix of wooded areas with eucalyptus and open areas with pretty views of lake. First couple miles were on paved path and very crowded, then saw almost no one the rest of the way. Took us a little over 3 hours to hike it.

Beautiful trail run. Starts and ends on paved road and middle section is off road trails. I sort of jog/ walked it with a day pack in 2.5 hours, with little stopping. Some steep hills and moderate terrain, but overall a beautiful trail with a variety of scenery and terrain. Don’t underestimate or go unprepared because it’s a long and tough 9 miles.

Since the air quality has vastly improved in the Bay Area, I’ve been taking advantage of the natural beauty of Lake Chabot on the weekends. I’d definitely recommend this trail to others, I mostly go for trail running- the scents of the trees after the rains... is unbelievable. I run the full loop which turns out to be 9 miles starting from the West going counterclockwise. The first 2.5 miles is fairly level, until you get up the hill... then going deeper into the woods, with the switchbacks and run down hill, I enjoy the effort needed to jump over some of the roots/rocks; please be careful! But some of the sights are really worth it. People have been very kind on the route, waving, and/or moving to the side when it gets into a “single lane” and I happen to be running; otherwise I myself move to the side if I see bikes. Enjoy!

Very beautiful scenery of the lake and woodsy type of hike. My friends and I hiked counter clock-wise and went up what was known as "Heart Attack Hill" which was notably difficult. Other than that, it's a 9 mile walk on a glorious path!

It is definitely frequented and loved by many: bicyclists, small groups, dogs, and parents with strollers.

Saturday Morning. Started the trail at 7:30am. Hiked counter clockwise. Not to many people initially, it was nice until mile marker 6. OMG! Too many people. Large loud groups, dodging bicyclist, not my cup of tea. Clean facilities tho, and if you don’t mind the crowds you’ll be fine. 3-1/2hrs to hike 8.9 miles. I won’t go back. Many other Bay Area hikes without the noisy talkative weekend walkers.

Hard and long! took about 4-5 hours, very well worth it though beautiful views

This is a great trail. It’s easy for beginners and has a beautiful views. It’s dangerous when the temperature is high or cold, but you can look the weather and make a plan. All you need to finish this trail is a lot of water and great spirit.

Really nice views, well maintained

This is a good trail when you just want to get some distance in. It’s not too challenging and has enough shade to make it doable on an 80 degree afternoon.
The down side is not much scenic variety - mostly laurel and eucalyptus forests.. I like something a little more dramatic or varied but still totally fine and nice to get a longer hike without a long drive..
I’m not the fastest hiker and this took me pretty much exactly 3 hours.

Great trail for beginner or people with some hiking experience.. close to moderate but not too difficult. If u do the hills starting from west side of the lake towards north and then looping down south on the east side of lake will be better than doing the other way around unless u r a hiker who loves going up grades.. the grade from the east side of lake for a 1/2 a mile is steep.. but otherwise the hike is generally easy to moderate.. great views.. about 9 Miles long. 3- 3 1/2 hrs

I have only run part of the trail but I love it! It is a great workout with some steep inclines. I did get lost a few times but that added to the fun.

Majestic lake views, varied terrain, an equal mix of sun and shade, not overwhelmingly crowded and super clean. Bathrooms are plentiful too.

This hike is closer to 10 miles and while it is doable for humans on a 90 + degree day, it is not safe for dogs. I chose this hike because I was looking for a long, mostly shaded trek given the heat. The hike has beautiful views and a lot of shade as described, but I did not expect to find several stretches of scorching hot pavement that my dog and I could not avoid. I would recommend doing this hike on a cooler day or in the early morning. Dog owners beware.

I biked this trail today, I'm new to mountain biking and this was very tough for me. I had a lot of fun and I see myself coming back here again and again to work on my biking.

Lots of shade, gorgeous views and very accessible.

Great place to walk but watch for the bikers for they travel fast on the path.

Grueling but rewarding.

wonderful hike!

Good civilized trail

Tranquil and scenic. Very well maintained trail and a lot of coverage of shades. It is a very comfortable hike even on a hot day. The 9 mile distance makes it a real work-out.

My new weekly go to trail.

I've done this loop many times, both hiking and running. It's an excellent trail to run, just the right amount of challenge. Gorgeous views of the lake in some places. A nice mixture of sun and shade and excellent wildlife viewings. Love this trail - especially now that the dam is open again!

Clean, marked well, multiple challenging inclines, some scary narrow steep areas, finished in 2.5 hours running walking. Def would do it again

good little running trail

Family friendly flat Ezy walk you can ride your bike next to the water you can rent a boat you can also fish in the lake there’s parking on the street so you don’t have to pay the lot parking there’s also picnic area and BBQ pit

Great, very scenic trail. Thankful to live close enough to enjoy it often.