Lake Calavera via Oak Riparian Park

Lake Calavera via Oak Riparian Park is a 3.9 mile loop trail located near Oceanside, California that features a waterfall. The trail is rated as moderate offers a number of activity options. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

Bring water and sunscreen.

Always love a quick climb at Calaveras!

Really varied area, wetlands and dry hills and everything in between. Pretty active amount of people, lots of different access points.

I don't think I've ever seen so many quail in one place before! I had read a complaint about dog crap littering the trails...it is crap it is all over the trails but it ain't dog its coyotes! On the whole I found this place to be rather fun.

In my backyard...love the variety on this trail. Creek crossing, lake, trees, wild flowers and a volcano in the middle. Watch out for rattlesnakes. Saw one on the side of the trail 3 weeks ago. Lots of coyotes live here too, you can hear them at sunset.

Really disappointed that there was so much dog poop all over the trail!! It's upsetting that people cannot pick up after their pets! Signage could have been better. Parking very limited.

Solid walk/hike. The directions send you to the Oak Riparian Park parking lot - follow the paved path to the left until you see an opening that crosses a small stream. Once you hit that you'll have many options for walking/running/biking. Including getting to the top of Mount Calavera!

Fun trail with dog friendly amenities.

I started at oak riparian park and ended up coming out of carslbad because I got lost. it was dark by this point so I called an uber back to my car. it's a good trail but wish there was signs that could direct which way you are going.

Really great place to hike, people are usually nice. Be careful for Rattlesnakes. There are signs, but during baby season they tend to bite then rattle. So for the curious doggies that like to go off the the edges be careful! We are in their territory! Im sure it doesn't happen often, but we just had the bad luck of having my puppy get bit. Other than that the place is nice & pretty well kept!

Great place- I bring our pup out here all the time! Everyone is friendly and the trail is easy- every once and a while you'll run into someone who doesn't like dogs, but hey what can you do? Just nod and run on

Thursday, November 24, 2016

Great little area. If you want a climb head for the peak but you can loop around the hill and it has a surprising variety of vegetation in such a small area. Trails are well kept for the most part. The plant variety there is prettier than most trails in the area.

Monday, September 19, 2016

stay on trail,sunk up go me knees in mud at the shoreline of the lake,jeeez. barefootin it back to car.....