Lake Calavera via Oak Riparian Park is a 3.9 mile lightly trafficked loop trail located near Oceanside, California that features a waterfall. The trail is rated as moderate offers a number of activity options. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

partially paved

Bring water and sunscreen.

We arrived at 7:30am. The fog was still low, so the temperature was perfect and scenery was still pretty. Saw lots of ducks, a heron, and an egret on the water.

This is a great hike for any day and weather. pushing 90 outside, and with the wind, made for an excellent time out.

Nice local trail, only 10 minutes from home, great outing for families. It’s appalling that people won’t pick up after their dogs; don’t see this on the Batiquitos trail, more civilized hikers, it seems.

The good: wetlands boardwalk is gorgeous. That portion of the trail is very nicely maintained. Visually speaking, you feel like you’re in the middle of nowhere rather than in the middle of a busy city.

The bad: the trails are very narrow and nearly impossible to pass people if anyone has a dog with them. Ice cream truck at the park played very loud, respective music for 20 minutes, which could be heard everywhere on the trails and kinda ruined the nature for me. Offleash dogs not with their owners in multiple places (people playing fetch with their dogs, so the dogs were quite a ways away from their owner, retrieving a ball or frisbee). Lots of graffiti on trees and rocks on the side trails. Group of adult men smoking weed in a bong up on top of some giant rocks along the trail staring down at me while I hiked past, in the middle of the afternoon when kids were at the park nearby; gave it a very creepy vibe. I certainly wouldn’t return alone without my dogs.

1/52 #52hikechallenge

Enjoyed an easy hike with some nice weather.

Monday, November 13, 2017

Always love a quick climb at Calaveras!

Friday, September 08, 2017

Really varied area, wetlands and dry hills and everything in between. Pretty active amount of people, lots of different access points.

Thursday, August 10, 2017

I don't think I've ever seen so many quail in one place before! I had read a complaint about dog crap littering the trails...it is crap it is all over the trails but it ain't dog its coyotes! On the whole I found this place to be rather fun.

Wednesday, August 09, 2017

In my backyard...love the variety on this trail. Creek crossing, lake, trees, wild flowers and a volcano in the middle. Watch out for rattlesnakes. Saw one on the side of the trail 3 weeks ago. Lots of coyotes live here too, you can hear them at sunset.

Friday, July 07, 2017

Really disappointed that there was so much dog poop all over the trail!! It's upsetting that people cannot pick up after their pets! Signage could have been better. Parking very limited.

Monday, June 05, 2017

Solid walk/hike. The directions send you to the Oak Riparian Park parking lot - follow the paved path to the left until you see an opening that crosses a small stream. Once you hit that you'll have many options for walking/running/biking. Including getting to the top of Mount Calavera!

Saturday, May 27, 2017

Fun trail with dog friendly amenities.

Monday, April 17, 2017

I started at oak riparian park and ended up coming out of carslbad because I got lost. it was dark by this point so I called an uber back to my car. it's a good trail but wish there was signs that could direct which way you are going.

Saturday, April 15, 2017

Really great place to hike, people are usually nice. Be careful for Rattlesnakes. There are signs, but during baby season they tend to bite then rattle. So for the curious doggies that like to go off the the edges be careful! We are in their territory! Im sure it doesn't happen often, but we just had the bad luck of having my puppy get bit. Other than that the place is nice & pretty well kept!

Saturday, March 04, 2017

Great place- I bring our pup out here all the time! Everyone is friendly and the trail is easy- every once and a while you'll run into someone who doesn't like dogs, but hey what can you do? Just nod and run on

Thursday, November 24, 2016

Great little area. If you want a climb head for the peak but you can loop around the hill and it has a surprising variety of vegetation in such a small area. Trails are well kept for the most part. The plant variety there is prettier than most trails in the area.

Monday, September 19, 2016

stay on trail,sunk up go me knees in mud at the shoreline of the lake,jeeez. barefootin it back to car.....

rock climbing