Lake Calavera via Oak Riparian Park

Lake Calavera via Oak Riparian Park is a 3.9 mile loop trail located near Oceanside, California that features a waterfall. The trail is rated as moderate offers a number of activity options. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

Bring water and sunscreen.

I don't think I've ever seen so many quail in one place before! I had read a complaint about dog crap littering the trails...it is crap it is all over the trails but it ain't dog its coyotes! On the whole I found this place to be rather fun.

In my backyard...love the variety on this trail. Creek crossing, lake, trees, wild flowers and a volcano in the middle. Watch out for rattlesnakes. Saw one on the side of the trail 3 weeks ago. Lots of coyotes live here too, you can hear them at sunset.

Really disappointed that there was so much dog poop all over the trail!! It's upsetting that people cannot pick up after their pets! Signage could have been better. Parking very limited.

Solid walk/hike. The directions send you to the Oak Riparian Park parking lot - follow the paved path to the left until you see an opening that crosses a small stream. Once you hit that you'll have many options for walking/running/biking. Including getting to the top of Mount Calavera!

Fun trail with dog friendly amenities.

I started at oak riparian park and ended up coming out of carslbad because I got lost. it was dark by this point so I called an uber back to my car. it's a good trail but wish there was signs that could direct which way you are going.