Lake Calavera

Lake Calavera is a 4.9 mile moderately trafficked loop trail located near Carlsbad, California that features beautiful wild flowers and is rated as moderate. The trail is primarily used for trail running and mountain biking and is best used from September until June. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

There are some only 4 parking spots. You climb down hill the first part and you have to climb up after hiking for 2 hours. I went middle of December and it was about 75F, it was too warm. There is very little shade. I don't recommend for a summer hike. Also the trail markers are non existent.

This trail sucks! Does not give you directions and the lake is full of poop do not let your dogs in or near it!! Will NOT come back!!!

Jogged the whole thing, took me less than an hour and I enjoyed it, great easy hike

One of the best trails in the area.

relatively easy hiking, with a lake and some good views at the top

wonderful trail, beautiful views, plenty of parking

Good

Está bien.

Love my hometown mountain! Multiple trails around the lake and even up to the peak. Challenge yourself by going on the Oceanside trail head leading up the back of the mountain! Great views and you can find a trail for all levels

Excellent trail. Not to easy, not too difficult. I walked this trail in May.

Love the views.

Love having this near my house. Can get anywhere from 5-9 miles depending on the trails I connect together. You cannot get lost, I'm convinced. Even if I wander off on a different trail it always connects with a trail I know. Bring water because it is an exposed trail and gets quite warm. I always have fun exploring out here and never tire of it.

Great trail for the entire family

excellent for quick hike around lake. peek has good views. i think there are better views on like 3 of the 40 trails going all around the volcano. mountain biking there is a lot of fun. definitely some easy paths to ride but others can be quite intense. steep incline with lots of big jagged rocks. hard to know which trails are which but ive gone on 3 rides thru the park for about an hour each time and i am starting to learn the trails. dog friendly. i never have an issue with parking either. usually some decent traffic on trails. enjoy! :)

A poorly marked trail without much shade. The lake is small and not much view...

I love Calavera!!

Great easy loop for a quick afternoon hike near Carlsbad. Very pretty wild flowers, not heavily trafficked.

Family friendly, great views, provided some minor uphill climbs which was cool...

Trail behind my house. Great short and hard hike. Lots of loose earth so be careful. You get to hike up an old volcano and at the top you have 360 views of north Carlsbad and the Pacific Ocean. You can do a quick loop in under an hour and it's a great workout.