Lake Anna Loop Trail

Lake Anna Loop Trail is a 7.8 mile lightly trafficked loop trail located near Trinity Center, California that features beautiful wild flowers and is rated as difficult. The trail offers a number of activity options and is best used from June until October. Dogs are also able to use this trail.

This was an awesome 4 day adventure for me and my Buddy.
But, I want to start with a slight disagreement with the All Trails route selection of proceeding directly up (or down) the stream during the "off trail" section to/from Lake Anna. As confirmed by the Rangers I spoke to, and in the book "Trinity Alps & Vicinity," by Mike White, a "better off trail route" for arriving to, or in our case departing from, Lake Anna is to either (if coming in from the North), proceed further along the "official" trail toward Deer Creek Pass, then contour over back to Lake Anna, or if coming from the South, to angle up to the Ridgecrest from the "end" of the "official" Bowerman Meadow Trail, then traverse over to Lake Anna. (I've attached a very, very rough photo - our approx. route is in purple and the ranger's description in green.
Another difference in recommended route selection, would be to avoid the multiple creek crossings in Bowerman Meadow, shown on the Alltrails map, and stick to the meadow trail itself.
Other than those differences, I completely agree with the previous reviews that this is an Epic Backpacking Adventure. We spent 4 days enjoying this Area and will be back. See pics for details.

Absolutely spectacular hike up Long Canyon, it really is such a special place and quite a rewarding view for a relatively short hike in. This being said, we never actually made it to Lake Anna due to extra snow pack this year and I wanted to leave a review here for others who may attempt it. The final scramble up to the lake is definitely no joke and should be done with caution. We tried to scramble around a make-shift way but it proved to be too steep. My advice would be to wait until later in the season to attempt this. We probably could have hiked up it on the snow but there is a stream under the snow (the part you typically scramble up the side of) and the snow was very unstable and cracking and wasn't worth the risk of falling down the waterfall below. We ended up camping out on a peak just below the lake overlooking the canyon, the stars at night were breathtaking. Even if we didn't make it all the way, it was still a great hike and we will definitely re-attempt later in the season! As always, keep it wild and leave it better than you found it. the Trinity Alps are one of very few places in California that are still seemingly untouched and unadulterated by humans who over-use the land and don't respect it's delicate balance, I hope everyone has the chance to experience this magical place.

Friday, May 22, 2015

My favorite! Definitely not for beginners, tho. Trail up Bowerman Meadows sometimes fades, but once you're there, enjoy the serenity before the climb up to Anna &/or Billy-be-Damned Lakes. Can be done as a somewhat brutal day-hike, but if you can, spend a night or 3! Beautiful lakes surrounded by odd-shaped metamorphic rock & an awesome meadow in between the lakes. Going back down via a scramble to long Canyon you'll get jaw-dropping views & pocket meadows under the rocks. Can be done in reverse or add options such as over ridge to beautiful Echo lake (Beware of steep scree-slope!) & around to Bee Tree gap thru Siligo Meadows.