Lake Alpine Inspiration Point

Lake Alpine Inspiration Point is a 2.7 mile moderately trafficked out and back trail located near Markleeville, California that features beautiful wild flowers and is good for all skill levels. The trail is primarily used for hiking, walking, nature trips, and birding and is best used from April until September.

Distance: 2.7 miles Elevation Gain: 679 feet Route Type: Out & Back

Lake Alpine-Inspiration Point

An easy-moderate hike. It’s very short so it can be done in a day, lunch at the top and even time to check out Alpine Lake. Everyone else is right with respects to the views. It’s pretty. Mountains, lakes below. 7/10 would recommend and redo.

Friday, October 18. 4pm-6pm 47 degrees. Park at chickadee picnic area. As others have said I wouldn't say this is "easy" due to the steep incline and rock scrambling at the top. When I got to the top of the rock out crop area I got a bit confused and went to the left alongside the precarious precipice of the rocky mountain top. I totally messed up. I think the actual trail I found later when I climbed to the top of the rocks and it was flatter and made more sense then the dumb ass way I went. This trail had everything I could ever want in a trail. Not too long, strenuous enough to get a good workout, incredible vistas, INCREDIBLE, and wow just wow. I greatly enjoyed it only wish I had more time.

My wife and I loved this hike. Maybe not an easy rating because of the steep ascent to the top. Whatever the rating...well worth the effort! Beautiful 360 views of the Sierra's.

Love it ! Don’t forget your hiking boots at the end of the top of the hill gets very slippery

Great hike. It is steeper than “Easy” but well worth it for the views.

Easy trail nice crevices on rock formation bugsy all over since it’s peak of summer.

I snowshoed this trail 2 days ago on Memorial Weekend. There was a lot of snow (many feet) and fresh snow from the days before. I blazed the trail with my friend, as it seems people rarely snowshoe it. It was a great snowshoe trail. There are very steep sections near the top but we traversed sideways and tried not to look down while doing it. The top got very windy and it began to snow just before getting to the outcrop at the top. We turned around soon after the weather changed since we had to get back down the steep sections in stormy weather. It was awesome overall and I will do it again in tthe future.

Fri Aug 17 2018

Our family loves this hike. We do this about every 2 years while camping (alternating with Duck Lake). Our 3 young kids handle it well, taking about two or three breaks on the way up. Our medium sized dog handled it fine in the past, now we have a tiny dog-carried her in a backpack. Just did the hike last week, took us about 3 hours total. Most of the trail is shaded, minimal to no shade at the top.

Tue Aug 07 2018

A scramble to the very top and worth it for the 360 view.

Fri Jul 06 2018

Got to a saddle and was faced with steep scree to get to the very top. Good views from where I stopped but not easy if you keep going

Sat Jun 30 2018

wife and I did it yesterday starting from Alpine Lake boat ramp. Beautiful scenery easy going. I'm in a arm sling recovering from surgery and was able to climb easily enough. The trail does get a bit steep at summit. If your in poor physical shape as we seem to be you'll need to take a break or two, or three.

Wed Jun 20 2018

Short, dog friendly hike with great views of Lake Alpine.

Sat May 19 2018

The reward that is inspiration point and it's breathtaking views is well worth the admission of an average hike and fun lite scramble to the top! Seriously, I haven't found another hike that was this easy that offered better views without paying the price of a massively congested trail. The summit is expansive and mostly barren giving a very otherworldly feeling (almost creepy really) which is only shaken by looking out beyond the summit to the wilderness and forests below. Started the hike a little afternoon and the trail was empty save for some counter traffic (1-2 small groups each way.) The weather was cool and sweaters weren't put on until the summit which was due to some blustery winds.