Lafayette Ridge Trail

Lafayette Ridge Trail is a 6.6 mile out and back trail located near Lafayette, California that features beautiful wild flowers and is rated as moderate. The trail offers a number of activity options and is best used from September until May. Dogs are also able to use this trail.

Distance: 6.6 miles Elevation Gain: 1,190 feet Route Type: Out & Back

Hike following Lafayette Ridge Trail up to gorgeous views on Russel Peak at 1357'.

bridge out

This trail will definitely give you a good workout, lots of ridges (my legs were sore the next day)! Beautiful scenery and we passed maybe 5 other ppl, so quite secluded. We added another .5 mile to the end so we could get to the top and eat lunch at the picnic table. Definitely recommend add that last bit, it’s quite rewarding. Some scrambling because of the steep inclines and we wore trail running shoes, not hiking boots.

Love all the ups and downs. I clocked in a little over 1300 ft of elevation, so the trail may be underestimating. Great views of the surrounding area.

One of my favorite trails except for having to maneuver around the cows and their piles at the beginning. Once you get through the initial climb it’s a great wide trail. Lots of big climbs but a great challenge. Beautiful views of Mt. Diablo, Lafayette and towards the Delta

Steep, not too much greenery, good challenging hills.

awesome for trail running and practicing hills. was windy up top.

Nice hike. Gorgeous view of mt diablo. We started on the Lafayette ridge trail where it went into a fork to go this way or the service road. A cow charged us so we turned around and went up the service road. I’ve never had that happen!

Dog friendly and super hilly. It recently rained a ton and so it was beautiful and green everywhere.

Roller coaster love, gorgeous views! Cardiac Hill is motivating! Get out there!!

Sunday, May 13, 2018

I run here a lot. great place close to home. love this little trail!

Saturday, November 25, 2017

This hike was moderately strenuous but doable for the average person. Parking is great but does fill up if you do a late morning early afternoon hike. The hike begins as a steady climb until you reach elevation 1300. Afterwards it is a rolling up and down hike. This was not the most beautiful but it did have a good panoramic view of Rossmore, Walnut Creek and Benicia. The hike was mostly in sun and very little shade so bring water and hat. I brought my dog and he had a great workout. Many people bring their dogs and many walk them off lease. Con against hike was lots of cow/horse droppings for the dogs to walk on and roll in. The area is a cattle area so that would be expected. I ran into lots of people so it was not a solitude type of hike. Almost a little to crowded for my taste but the people who hiked it were friendly.

Saturday, July 29, 2017

TH easy to find and and a lot parking. No need for long pants but bring lots of water bc most of trail is exposed. I was alone on the trail for most of the morning - it then got pretty busy, ton of (friendly) people with dog. Really great work out but not much to see.

Saturday, April 15, 2017

Nice wide trail, easy parking, views. Lots of cows!

Monday, March 20, 2017

We have been hiking this trail for 35 years. It is home. Enjoy.

Thursday, February 23, 2017

super muddy, 2 days of sun isn't nearly enough to dry out the trails. mudslides all over too... love the views can't wait for it to dry out a bit more!

Saturday, February 04, 2017

We had a alternate hike today. Instead of going west to the ridge, we went east and through the Acalanes Open Space to Larkey Park in Walnut Creek. The hike was 4.3 miles with elevation of 866 feet.

Monday, January 16, 2017

Muddy and uphill on bad trail. Good if you want to off leash your dog, but not worth the hike.

Friday, September 16, 2016

Good hike that gets a little too much mountain bikes in the mix during high use days. It's much better to do a loop. If you pick up a map it's easily done.

Tuesday, September 06, 2016

Love this! Hike it once/week! Stay away during wet weather. Also, there are cows grazing in here, be mindful!

Monday, August 29, 2016

Went on a sunny, windy Saturday, saw a fair amount of people with large dogs, plus groups of mountain bikers, but it didn't feel too busy. VERY nice ranger reminded us to keep dog from chasing cattle, especially the calves. I wish there was a way to know where exactly to expect the herds in parks. This route is beautiful, fairly easy, and has shade on and off but no water. Needs more picnic spots, and the bathrooms along the trail were closed.

Monday, August 29, 2016

Lots of fun!

Monday, August 22, 2016

Fun hike. lots of ups and downs.

Tuesday, June 21, 2016

I probably hike this at least once/month. Great workout, meaners and an east pitch to start then really picks ups steepness with short breaks. The views are spectacular. I think I take a picture every time I am up there! For a varied workout, we drop down the Springhill trail to the end of Springhill Rd., then take Springhill Rd back to Pl Hill Rd for a great loop.

Thursday, May 05, 2016

Good steep incline for about 2.5 miles; excellent workout.

Thursday, May 05, 2016

Easy out and back with nice views

Sunday, March 23, 2014

Great view of the north and south peaks of Mt. Diablo while ascending the first mile. Once you reach the top you will pass by a few private homes and be rewarded with incredible views of Briones and all cities from Martinez to Orinda. It was a nice cool day for my hike and there are currently lots of California Poppies in bloom. I wouldn't want to hike this trail on a hot day as there is not much coverage on top of the ridge.