Ladybug Camp Trail

Ladybug Camp Trail is a 7.2 mile moderately trafficked out and back trail located near Three Rivers, California that features a river and is rated as moderate. The trail offers a number of activity options and is best used from March until November.

Directions from Three Rivers: Drive westward one mile on Highway 198. Turn left on to South Fork Drive and travel 13 miles to South Fork Campground.

Beautiful trail, and we were the only ones on it. But even with long sleeves and bug spray, we were walking in a cloud of gnats, esp the first mile, which took a lot of enjoyment away, especially for my kids (6 and 10)

Also you really can't access the creek except at crossings as the embankment is pretty steep

I loved this trail!! There were so many bugs and mosquitoes so taking bug spray is a must!!! The end of the trail is amazing, their is so many ladybugs, it was pretty cool seeing that.... overall pretty good trail. The only thing i wanna say is, when driving up to the the trailhead like the last 2 miles in order to get their you gotta drive through this unpaved road and its pretty rocky!!! I don’t advice to take a low vehicle

Nice views hiking up. Getting to the water is the best part and following the unmaintained trail for a bit leads to some neat spots. Went in early June and parts of the trail were littered with ladybugs just done hibernating.

I absolutely love southfork and this trail. I usually go late winter to avoid the bugs and other creepy crawlers. This year went early May. Around the 1-2 mike mark you start ascending through a narrow trail with 3’ grass. There are ticks on every blade of grass, spray clothes with sawyer and bring bug spray. I almost stepped on a 5’ western diamond back going up narrow grass trail,scared the hell out of me to say the least. He warned me after my foot almost touched him but when he turned to get away I for sure thought I was getting bite. The trail and area is amazing but in spring/summer be very cautious of ticks and rattlers. I will go back but I’ll return in winter, cold nights are far better than a insane amount of ticks and the perfect warm river habitat of the western diamondback. If you have kids be extra cautious and please keep on trails, the foothills have real dangers you must be aware of. I saw some pretty incompetent people out there running a muck (another reason why winter is better) But south fork / ladybug holds a special place in my heart and by far is one of CA hidden gems.

First time overnight backpacking was a success! Met some great people at the camp site who have been hiking this area for 25 years and told us that there were more spectacular views past ladybug camp trail. My friends and I were curious to see more views. So we hiked past whiskey log and headed to South Fork. The trail to whiskey log was creepy but in a good way. Made it feel like Harry Potter in the woods! Very steep and couple switch backs but so worth it!! We ended up in a secluded area facing the roaring river. I'd recommend this trail and would go back! If you're camping at the South Fork area, pick up some woods along the way to have a better campfire!

Great trail. Hiked all the way to Whiskey Log at trails end. The trail needs work beyond Lady Bug but still a great trail. Took family and everyone had a great time. You have to look off the trail to the right when headed east to find campsites. The best ones are before the end of Lady Bug Trail.

It is a really nice trail. The only thing that I disliked is not knowing that there is not a paved road on the way up there. It barely can accommodate 2 cars if that at some point. Definitely recommend it if you have a truck or off road capable vehicle like a nice 4Runner.

Had a great hike with the family trail was just as the app described!!!!!

Great hike especially if you have kids who enjoy hiking. Went about 1.5- 2 miles in but you can go much further if you choose. It is also along a river most the way so if it’s in the hotter months of the year you can jump in to cool off at times.

Good hike. Not too steep, not too many people. I would suggest you go when it's cold due to ticks. Watch out for newts.

You’ll really want to download the map for this trail. We were fortunate to be pointed in the right direction a couple of times. Had lunch by the river. Great time.

I’ve hiked this several times both as an adult, and waaay back when I was a kid. I enjoy it every time. Easy hike for kids. Be careful of poison oak.

Love this trail!!!

I've done this hike before it's pretty with lots of shade but today we turned around after a mile because the misquotes were horrible.

My first hike looking forward to my next experience.

Overall good experience.

Friday, June 30, 2017

don't bother. absolute trash. tons of mosquitos from the horses. dog shit and horse shit everywhere. trash in the water. -1/10

Thursday, June 29, 2017

worst hike/camp spot i've hit in my entire life, hands down. the summer heat is intense and there is no shade. overwhelming amounts of infectious bugs, prickly plants, and poisonous snakes etc. pretty sure it was a bear that tore through our food stash but can't confirm. views are decent but not worth the trip. want real views go to kernville. my kids hated it, and the waterfall is dry now, thank you Trump. June 26, 2017

Sunday, June 18, 2017

One of the best hikes that I have gone on so far! The summer heat is intense but there is lots of shade! Lots of bugs and prickly plants but such AMAZING views! Great for kids, and the huge water fall/ladybugs at the end was amazing! June 16, 2017

Sunday, June 18, 2017

June 17th a bit warm lot of bugs but definitely a nice hike with my kids.

Friday, June 09, 2017

I am going this Saturday but the directions told me highway 63... there's highway 43 but that can confuse people and now I don't trust the directions

Monday, May 22, 2017

A really lovely hike. The trail can be as quick or as leisurely as you like, and I imagine it'd be one of the better trails for kiddos. I hiked this last weekend, which seems to be the last cool weekend before summer heat. It'll probably be uncomfortably warm from now until autumn, unless you start very early in the morning.

Sunday, May 14, 2017

wasn't too difficult at all.weather was perfect..the creek was so full and the sound of the water was the best

Sunday, May 14, 2017

beautiful scenery..the water was so full and amazing.weather was perfect.

Wednesday, April 26, 2017

We really enjoyed this trail. The river was beautiful. The lady bugs were fun. We caught a glimpse of the red salamanders. My only complaint about this trail was the accessibility to the trail head. After a winter of heavy rain the dirt road that takes you to trail head was in rough shape.

Monday, April 24, 2017

Killer!

Monday, April 17, 2017

Really enjoyed this hike. The views were great especially with all the smalls falls along the canyon. Very pretty.

Monday, April 17, 2017

Go now to see the wildflowers blooming on the sides of the trail!

Monday, March 27, 2017

Even though we saw only one ladybug, the hike was beautiful. We crossed two creeks. The trail had some mud and is very steep in some areas so be careful with young children. The river at the end is amazing! The size of the boulders are breathtaking. My 7 and 12 yr old sons had a good time. The road up there has huge potholes so give yourself time.