Ladder Canyon Trail

Ladder Canyon Trail is a 4.5 mile lightly trafficked loop trail located near Desert Center, California that features a waterfall and is rated as moderate. The trail offers a number of activity options and is best used from October until April. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

old growth

Grapefruit Blvd (also Hwy 111), left on 66th Ave, which will transition to Box Canyon Rd., left on Painted Canyon Rd.

It is a fun and easy hike. If you hike up the narrow canyon where the ladders are on your way back there is nothing but sand and gravel to walk back to the parking area.
There is a lot of shade in early morning or late afternoon.

Fun and challenging hike. Several latter's and small rock faces to ascend and descend on the loop. Make sure to go left at the trail post (wooden post on the right side of the trail maybe 10 minutes from the trail head, there will also be rock arrows on the ground pointing you into the rocks. It is much easier to ascend the latter that direction than descend.

Even though the park was packed because of thanksgiving, most people only hike to and from the ladders leaving the rest of the loop desolate and peaceful. Just follow the arrows and stacked rocks. Will definitely hike this one again

Start going left and get the hard part out of the way. The trail is amazing

Cool experience. I enjoyed myself

Sweet!

As an avid hiker for decades, this trail is easily in the top three due to its unique long super narrow meandering canyon trails. Very special hike. Do study the topography: Make sure your return path (clockwise loop) is planned such that the sun has not yet reached the final 1.8 mi canyon, or it will be very very hot, with risks of dehydration.

Love that hike

We drove in with a jeep after reading reviews but even saw a prius at the trailhead. It took us 3.5 hours to complete the full loop but we did make a wrong turn once and had to back track. The top has views of the Salton Sea and we definitely had to follow fellow hiker stacked rocks and arrows to navigate the otherwise unmarked trail. Some ladders are steep and tricky. I would not recommend hiking this alone and similar to other comments, bring a backpack with plenty of water. Phone signal is poor until you reach the top. We took some fun photos, the painted canyons were neat and well worth it. We hit 6 ladders up. looped around so only the first 2 ladders near the start on the way back down.

this was a great half-day trip for us.

the road getting in was washed out by a recent rain but we totally did it in 2 wheel drive or just recommend something with more ground clearance cuz there's some larger rocks but I definitely saw some smaller cars like Honda Accords and a Mercedes E-Class that made it in there and a Ford Mustang came in behind us.

if you're doing the ladders portion of the hike when you get to the top go right and follow the rock piles we made the mistake of going left and it brings you to the end of the Rope portion of the hike which is not so bad going up but it's a little scary going down

we went on 9/23/17

Such a beautiful place to hike through. The canyon was narrower than expect, but it gives it a little more excitement. You do walk on sand most of the way. I just went a few days ago and made it fine driving at 10mph in a Ford Focus. Follow the tire paths slowly, watch for rocks and holes and it's fine, I never felt the car even come close to getting stuck .

Awsome place you can make it with 2wd just drive slow my Corrella made it no problems.

I've seen several reviews on this app/site, as well as others, that suggest 2WD can certainly make it out to the trailhead by exercising caution at 5mph. I went ahead and ignored the "4WD Only" sign, trusting my fellow 2WD reviewers. We made it within 1/2 a mile of the trailhead (it's about 5 miles on the gravel/sand road - Painted Canyon Road). At that point I felt my wheel bury into the sand. I threw it in park and turned to my friends: "We're done. We're stuck." There were a few nearly successful attempts at getting out with one friend pushing. Unfortunately, I gassed it too hard and we got REALLY stuck - half the tire under sand/gravel. It took about 30 minutes of the one guy friend we had with us, digging the wheel out and shoving a flat rock/floor mats under the wheel to finally get us out. At that point we decided to just head back. We already had a full morning at Salton Sea and Salvation Mountain so we decided to call it a day. I'm sure the hike is beautiful. The canyon walls around us were certainly breathtaking. Just... bring 4WD with you...

Favorite hike in Southern California

Family of 4 (hubby, 12yo, 14yo and me). First canyon hike! Need to come back and do entire loop in more moderate temperature. Only got through ladder parts and turned around. Didn't finish because everyone was feeling too hot (97+ in shade at 9:30am) and decided to play it safe since we have several more days of vacation. Climbing ladders and boulders alot of fun for the boys and me. Hubby felt a bit claustrophobic...

Just made an account, but I enjoyed this hike on April 11 2017.

Dirt road, kinda bumpy but my car did fine at slower speeds.

Not much shade one out of the slots which is the 1st 1/3 of the hike.

This was an amazing hike. Loved hiking on the sandy trail The ladders didn't feel very stable but other than that super fun!!!!

Great hike, lots of fun, not too crowded. My girlfriend and I really enjoyed this one. We would label it as easy, but there are tricky parts to it. We found a secret path to the loop, so we ended up doing the hike twice, so we could see the main trail also. The secret path gets very narrow, so you have to be lean to make it through. I'm 5'11'' 170, so you don't have to be tiny:)

Great trail, absolutely worth the 4 mile washboards road in! My little Honda Insight made it through okay and I saw lots of other sedans in the parking lot too! Don't be scared by the 4 wheel drive sign!
Make sure you use the map once your out of the canyons! Looks like there are a lot of intersecting trails that can make it easy to get lost!

Hiked Ladder Canyon on a recent trip to Palm Springs. The last 4 miles of the drive were slow going. Although there is a sign recommending 4 wheel drive, it wasn't necessary, but don't expect to get over 10 mph. The gravel road had heavy washboard and some rocks on the road.

We started our hike around 9AM with 8 people of various hiking ability. The narrow Ladder Canyon portion was great. It required some minimal climbing around some of the ladders. We really enjoyed this portion. Once we got out of the narrow canyon portion along the top of the ridge you need to walk towards the "cell phone" towers. There were a few groups (including ours) trying to determine the right path. There were great views from the top ridge but hot with full sun. After a while you work your way back down into the canyons again. There were areas of shade and various rock formations and colors. After about a mile of walking in soft soil/sand we were ready to be done. By the last mile we felt like we had seen it all already. We would do the hike again, but would have been good skipping the last mile (which you can't). It's worth the trip. I recommend starting early and bring a lot of water.