Memorial Day Sale! Get a year of AllTrails Pro for only $14.99
Get Started

La Tuna Canyon Trail is a 5 mile heavily trafficked loop trail located near Sun Valley, California that offers scenic views and is rated as difficult. The trail is primarily used for hiking, trail running, and mountain biking and is accessible year-round. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

Distance: 5.0 miles Elevation Gain: 1,318 feet Route Type: Loop

Nice trail but I’ve never seen a trail with so much trash. Next time I will bring a trash bag and gloves

I had gone in several occasions but this time a truck was picking up the bee hives and we were attacked by bees. There was no warning there was no signs to stop hike while they did this. We were stung at least 15 times each even in my eye.

Do it the strenuous way, straight ridge hike, lot of leg work. Not a high elevation so good for training elevation gains.

Amazing trail. Definitely want to go counter clockwise. Nice views of all parts of the city and ocean. We were however disappointed in the amount of trash on this trail. If you’re going to explore, don’t take coffee cups and plastic bags you don’t plan on bringing back down!

Hubs and I hiked this trail Christmas morning. We'd intended to go counter-clockwise, as recommended, but we set out on the wide road and missed the trailhead going the other direction (look for it in the right corner of the small parking lot). 2/3ish of the trail is a fire road with a gentle, steady incline. The views going east and west are spectacular! There's no cover, so it would be tough on a hot day. On this day we got sprinkled on but we had the right gear so it was pleasant. That last downhill is quite steep and rocky, but a regular hiker shouldn't have a problem - our poles were a great help. I would imagine that section, which would be at the beginning of the hike had we gone as we'd intended, would be challenging from a fitness standpoint, but easier from a technical standpoint, since going down steeply can be dicey. TONS of tiny gnats.

5.5 miles. Fire road, no problem. Scramble back to the parking lot was super steep, loose scree, rocky. Poles highly recommended!

Phone read 5.17m in 1:08 34 with 1302 ft of gain. 2nd time completed counter clockwise. 1st mile is steep grade with loose dirt up the ridge line. Last 4 are down fire road. Go early and hills provide shade.

Definitely go counter clockwise because it is really hard to walk down the steep parts.

muy buen terreno para hacer ejercicio y despejar la mente

Great hike! After passing the entry way, I chose to take the path to the right rather than continuing up the paved road. It is hard to see initially but if you follow the AllTrails path you’ll have no trouble. The first mile is all incline! I’m an avid hiker and I definitely get a good sweat in. It will finally level out around the 1.3 mile mark. There are 2 benches and a tree that you can take a break at whenever you get to the top. Excellent views of the SFV mountains. Coming down the mountain is easy peasy if you’re going counter clockwise. I clocked this hike at 5.2 miles.

The 1st half of this hike is great, a typical switchback up-flow of a trail that ends half way at this break point with a bench and a nice view. We got there around 3pm and relaxed for a little bit. My friend and I are used to hiking and not particularly out of shape, but the 2nd half really turned out to be something much different than we were expecting. The steepness of the trail was so intense and the heat was so strong, each leg felt more and more difficult. In the 2 hours in that part of the trail, we used up all of our water. It would have been nice if there was some kind of warning posted, as we did get to the point of exhaustion. I did eventually call for help because I thought my aunt was going to collapse since we became so week. We received assistance once we were off the trail and were told that this trail has request rescues of hikers and hunters.

Trust the AllTrails map and head straight up the first path on the right, soon after the entry. It takes you straight up for a mile - tough hike but worth it. Have been a couple times this spring and the wildflowers are pretty and change over the weeks. At the top you can sit under a tree and recover a bit before heading back down the long, easy way. Have been in the morning when the hilltop is enshrouded in mist. Beautiful but bring a warm layer in case! Going clockwise is ok but going down the steep part is harder - I bring hiking poles and am grateful to have in either direction on the steep mile. On weekends there is sometimes a guy selling fresh OJ and lemonade, so bring a little cash.

Sat Mar 16 2019

Good tough trail. All trails recorded at just over 4 miles while my Fitbit said over 5 (go figure). No matter which way you go, the way down is not easy. It was pretty hot and exposed the entire way except at the very top where it was chilly and windy. Lots of butterflies, some wild flowers and even baby deer on our path. At one point you get the view of the mountains, ocean and the city all at once