La Tuna Canyon Trail

La Tuna Canyon Trail is a 5 mile heavily trafficked loop trail located near Sun Valley, California that offers scenic views and is rated as difficult. The trail is primarily used for hiking, trail running, and mountain biking and is accessible year-round. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

Great hike, but a little too crowded and the ending was dangerous after the fires turned the soil to ash.

Want to feel the burn go here !

Beautiful trails!!

Felt the burn! Love the mountainous view on a clear day.

great hike, our pitbull loves the trail, lots of lizard, & bugs ,we saw 2 snakes today! it was nice to see a ranger parked up top chatting with hikers, iloveLA

Friday, June 10, 2016

It was an easy at times but moderate as well. Me & my friend did the loop but the last part was intense, very steep and going downhill. If u try the whole loop, u will end up going by the la tuna canyon highway last 40mins of the walk before u get back to where most of the cars where parked. When u reached the power poles, my advice, just take the same route going back. Overall, it's a good work out!

Tuesday, June 07, 2016

Excellent way to go out and get contacts with the nature

Sunday, January 17, 2016

Lots of bees!!! Limited parking.

Sunday, January 03, 2016

Desert hike with some low trees for shade. Going counterclockwise made the way up easy-moderate for most of it, challenging for parts. Includes a fire road for a good stretch. Way down counterclockwise is challenging as its steep and sandy, so slippery. Wonderful 200+ degree views at multiple spots up top. One downside is you can see/hear civilization for most of the hike, so not as much of an escape as are the San Gabriels. But overall a great, challenging, and beautiful hike!

Thursday, May 28, 2015

It was an over cast Memorial Day. I got there late morning free public parking was mostly taken. Because of the large group we decided to turn back about 4 miles into the hike. One of the highlights was the ease of the jog/hike back. I would definitely consider returning another day to complete the apparent 9.7 mile trail. Someone equally spiked the need to complete the trail due to the fact that there maybe a waterfall somewhere along the trail. Has anyone seen this legendary waterfall? Who knows if the waterfall truly isn't there maybe I can save me a return and try another trail.

Friday, April 10, 2015

Its challenging for sure but it's soo worth it

Monday, February 02, 2015

we went a back way into the trail and loved the 2+ miles of solitude hiking in the verdugo mountain park. it was a bit of a bummer to then get to the top and realize it was an old fire road with tons of people everywhere. i think if you take the fire road the whole way it would be a great trail run with dogs, but if you are going for a hike and want to get into the wilderness the la tuna canyon loop isn't the way to go. the side trails off the beaten path is where it is at!

Friday, January 17, 2014

I hiked this trail with my dog and found it to be a fun moderate hike to the top. This was the busiest trail I've ever been on. Lots of hikers with dogs. Everyone hiking with a dog had their dog on a leash except for one person and that dog was so well behaved, traveling right beside its owner, the rules of keeping dogs on a leash for that dog, would be stupid to enforce. It would have been like seeing Cesar Millan with Junior and complaining because Cesar didn't put Junior on a leash (or any dog with Cesar), anyone who knows or watches the Dog Whisperer knows that it would be rude to demand Cesar put his dog on a leash. My dog has to be on a leash, I wouldn't risk her biting or scaring anyone but hiking without her would be lonely so I follow the rules. It was a clean trail for the most part but I did see some dog poop on parts of the trail and the courteous thing to do is to always carry poop pick up bags with you and clean up after your pet. I didn't take any of the shortcuts but if you want a harder workout there are sections you can take that are super steep, so much so I think you have to use all fours to get to the top if you are up to the challenge. If you haven't hiked LA Tuna, I say go for it, it's enjoyable, scenic, people friendly and even a beginner hiker without any disabilities probably could make it to the top given enough time to get there. I wouldn't rate this as advanced unless you take the shortcuts or consider the distance something longer than a moderate hiker would travel. As a beginner/intermediate level hiker I found it a steady but enjoyable, not to difficult climb.

Monday, January 13, 2014

*******************************************************************************************
****** I HATE STUPID ARSE PPL THAT TAKE THE LEASH OFF THEIR DOGS ******

we need the rangers to start giving tickets ASAP

Monday, December 16, 2013

great climbing trail..... its a road you dont really need a lot of suspension travel. very nice trail... theres like 1/4 mile of hardcore downhill spot that is optional if you wanna take the "shortcut"... very steep. made it all in 32/28 (middle chain ring front and 28t cassette).
happy riding!

Wednesday, July 10, 2013

I do this hike starting from the parking area just off the 210 La Tuna Canyon exit. I just read about vandalism here, so I will be more careful. That said, I have hiked this about 15 times now without a problem. This was a good trail to train for longer hikes; it's steep ( if you take the short cut) in sections and has decent ascents. I go to the top near the towers then return the same way.

Saturday, May 11, 2013

This trail is a little difficult for a beginner. It offers spectacular views, wonderful smells of nature, challenging terrain and great exercise. The only downfall is that there has been vandalism in the parking area. Infact, my passenger side car window was busted in one time I went to hike in the evening after work. The only thing I think was missing was my lunchbag and a matching purple knife. Place all your belongings in the trunk out of sight. I heard some thief frequents this place all the time.

Friday, March 15, 2013

Sooo worth it!!! Works ur butt legs calves great hike!

Tuesday, May 10, 2011

An excellent trail for both hiking and mountain biking, La Tuna Canyon is a classic loop. It starts out with a decent 3.35 mile fire road climb to to the saddle (also known as Verdugo Road) and from there you have several different options for your descent. However, the route I'm describing here is the main "loop" that people ride, so this is just my favorite way to do this trail. So anyway, once you reach the Verdugo Road Saddle make a Right and continue on down the fire road for a mile or two. Along the way there are numerous ridge top single track sections with jumps and drops so ride that part if you want to have more fun. Keep going down the fire road until you get to the first bench on your RIGHT. You will pass several benches along the way, but the will all be on your LEFT. Look out for this one in particular otherwise you'll miss the single track. Once you see this bench, drop into the ridge top single track and let the fun begin! Oh yeah, this trail will dump you out back on the La Tuna Canyon road, so go to the RIGHT (Uphill) and be careful when you ride back to the parking lot. Congratulations, you just did La Tuna Canyon.