La Tuna Canyon Loop Trail

La Tuna Canyon Loop Trail is a 5.9 mile loop trail located near Sun Valley, California that offers scenic views and is rated as moderate. The trail offers a number of activity options and is accessible year-round. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

Great 6 mile workout for Trail runners or hikers. You can make it 14 miles or more very easy.

I have not been in this trail in a year or so. But the couple of times I went there there was a lot of dog crap. Specially at the beginning of the trail. From where you park your car to about 1/2 to 1 mile into. Some people take their dogs there and do not clean up after them. So watch your step.

Another thing I ran into was people riding their bicycles down the trail. They can come at you pretty fast so stay alert. Specially if you have kids or a dog(s).

Otherwise it’s a cool trail with some good views.

it was super easy. we did 8 miles.

There is a fire road beginning the trail which is nice since it is not too much of an incline so it doesn't hurt too much.

The huge incline you see from the freeway is a great workout! I love the fact that you can go up the hard way and then make your way down through the easier trail.

Depending on the time, there is a good amount of shade as the elevation drops.

Went last weekend on an organized goat hike - yes, I said goat hike! The area is still green and beautiful. Great view but not a lot of shade. Great exercise on the way up.

Tip: pack extra water, sunscreen, and a hat. Parking is limited but you can also park on the street so it should not be too much of an issue. Tons of mountain bikers which is really annoying, so just be on guard.

I stopped here on my way home to Nevada County. I went in blind and wish I had my backpack so my hands weren't full as I trekked up the steep incline. Nothing impossible but a slight challenge with items in both hands. I eventually took the side roads opposed to the steep incline. Hit a T in the road with signs but wasn't sure which way to go to return to my car so I turned around and took the side roads down. I felt safe and it was such a gorgeous hike up. Other hikers were friendly and ranged from families with young children to some senior citizens. There were a lot of mountain bikers up there too. I will definitely do this again with free hands and take that incline to the top!

I did this hike and it’s great I did a part of the trail where the vegetation was over grown and not maintained at all. Super scary for sure but I loved it. I didn’t know when it was ending tho. I was exhausted.

pretty easy, but keep in mind it's a steady uphill from the beginning to the top. amazing view once you get up there! we could see even catalina island to malibu from the top.

Good. But when you get to what the map says is the top, don’t take that left and go down that way. Extremely soft steep dirt. Go back the way you came.

5/5 for the awesome views
NOTE: Do not follow the map provided! At about halfway, it was extremely hard going down loose soil and the unpaved trail
Lots more other trails connect to this one

Wednesday, August 16, 2017

Not well marked (lots of unmarked forks, especially to do as a "loop" which requires a 1/4" mile walking on the side of the highway at the end but great views of both DTLA/back of hollywood hills and the valley.

Friday, July 07, 2017

plenty of shade, and a great panoramic view from the top.

Saturday, June 24, 2017

Very exposed. Bring plenty of water and sun protection and come on the earlier side. Trail is nearly shadeless after 9AM. Beautiful 360 view at the peak, but no shade to hang out and have a snack. This is also not really a loop as the map says. I highly recommend sticking to the beaten path. Also watch out for rattlers.

Thursday, June 22, 2017

it was my first time and I enjoyed it. there isn't any shade but a nice wide dirt road. As an avid hiker I wouldn't consider this difficult at all. There are some inclines but there are a lot of flat areas. The views were amazing.

Sunday, June 18, 2017

This is a good trail and I've been here multiple times. However, this time there were a lot of bees and I mean a lot. I was extremely unpleasant to hike. as I mentioned I've been here before and never had this problem. I came here on June, 18, 2017. Hopefully this is just a seasonal thing. Otherwise it is a nice hike.

Monday, April 17, 2017

not really a loop, the "loop" part is just a very inclined shortcut

Sunday, April 16, 2017

Great trail I think it's moderate.

Monday, March 27, 2017

It's about 7 miles if you park in the lot- there is a man who makes fresh juices at the end of the hike.

Saturday, November 19, 2016

Very good hike, did this yesterday morning and it was a good work out. Completed 7 miles in and out. Felt, Tired but Great for doing it .

Monday, November 14, 2016

easily accessible from freeway and great views.

Sunday, November 06, 2016

Awesome hike

Wednesday, September 28, 2016

I LOVED IT , MODERATE BUT GOOD ONE.IT HAS SOME POINT WHERE IT GETS HARD.

Wednesday, September 28, 2016

Take all the steep inclines to the top, then head west. Good workout and views.

Tuesday, September 06, 2016

Great for a workout, very steep in the beginning.

Tuesday, July 05, 2016

It was a great moderate hike with good incline. Great view of Sun Valley/ Tujunga.

Thursday, June 23, 2016

I felt that I was working my butt off

Wednesday, June 22, 2016

Was difficult but beautiful view

Saturday, June 11, 2016

Love this place

Sunday, May 29, 2016

Great day last Friday!!!

Saturday, May 07, 2016

really good trail. great calves and glutes workout.