La Cumbre Peak and Inspiration Point Loop

La Cumbre Peak and Inspiration Point Loop is a 18.7 mile lightly trafficked loop trail located near Santa Barbara, California that features a great forest setting and is only recommended for very experienced adventurers. The trail is primarily used for hiking, walking, nature trips, and bird watching and is accessible year-round.

Distance: 18.7 miles Elevation Gain: 4,570 feet Route Type: Loop

partially paved

This connects the Arroyo Burro Trail, Tunnel Trail, Inspiration Point, and Jesusita Trail.

couldn't finish it but at least hiked for a half marathon. it's tough, needs training and lots of water. after the first 2 miles, you will be exposed to the sun most of the time. best to do it in a cloudy day!

I did this hike back in May and it was quite a challenge. You start the hike as you would if you are doing the Jesusita Trail but instead you turn off for the Arroyo Burro trail. This trail is not well maintained after you start to descend after the powerlines so I would recommend bring some kind of map. This unmaintained part of the trail is not always easy to follow and is over grown. I also was constantly brushing ticks off of my legs, and I did come across two baby rattlesnakes and one other snake that I couldnt identify. After reaching Camino Cielo I decided I didn't want to hike back through that unmaintained section so I decided to road walk all the way to Tunnel Trail. Once on Tunnel Trail the loop is pretty straightforward. Take Tunnel Trail down til you reach Inspiration Point trail, and follow that trail up to Inspiration Point. Then keep hiking down the other side to connect to the Jesusita Trail which will take you back all the way to where you started. Bring lots of water.