Kumeyaay Lake Trail

Kumeyaay Lake Trail is a 1.8 mile moderately trafficked out and back trail located near San Diego, California that features a lake and is good for all skill levels. The trail offers a number of activity options and is accessible year-round. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

Distance: 1.8 miles Elevation Gain: 55 feet Route Type: Out & Back

Note: Sections of the trail can be CLOSED due to flooding. Please check with the park page for more information.

Nice for the family. If you head right on the trail it doesent connect all the way around your he loop due to overgrowth and gate. But heading left it is a nice hike, mostly flat with water and shade. Really quick hike.

Cute trail. About 85% shade. The lake is so peaceful. Barely anyone on the trail. Just wish the other part of the lake wasn't closed off.

Loved it’s perfect! Super pretty view!!!

Nice easy loop with lots of nature around. At least half of trail was shaded by trees, which really made it cooler on this 90 degree day. We hiked clockwise first, then repeated the opposite way. Super enjoyable,

Easy stroll. Nice views but much of the lake is obscured by tall reeds. Still a nice walk and several spots open for lake views. Many monarchs out the day I went.

slightly overgrown in the outermost trail. it's not really 1.8 miles unless you do the loop around the lake twice.

super easy trail. access to restrooms. wish the trail completed a loop around the lake. back side of trail is closed. still able to loop but only half way.

Water is too high to make complete loop of the lake right now.

This was my very first trail ever completed. Super easy! We went a nice sunny day with s cool breeze. My dog loved it she ever went into the lake a little bit

Another great day. There is about 3 feet of water on either side of the bridge. Gonna have to jump if you don’t want feet getting wet.

Currently a .5 mile loop as the floating bridge is out (you do have to cross about a 3 foot log over some water but I was able to do it with a stroller. Very easy & there’s a handrail). Ground was a little wet from all the rain but not too muddy.

Living close to Mission Trails, I really enjoyed this loop. Since it was my first time at the lake I went all the way to the closed portion of the gate and back to check it out. Currently there is a "seasonal" floating dock on the lake and you are able to cross and make the loop around the entrance point. Great place for a quick walk with the pup / kids. Parking is free but you do need to checkin with the ranger on the way in since it is also a campground.

Tuesday, July 24, 2018

Pretty, easy, and shaded walk!

Saturday, May 27, 2017

It was a nice walk easy for a good run. But it is not a loop. We was expecting a loop, we had a hard time finding a way back to the car because we did not want to turn around.

Sunday, May 14, 2017

Though beautiful, it's very misleading, it was not a loop trail. It was blocked off

Sunday, May 14, 2017

Contrary to the description, this trail is not a loop. We were expecting to walk around the whole lake, only to be disappointed 1/3 mile in to find a chain link fence ending the trail. The lake is barely visible for most of the trail, making it much less interesting for my kids than I'd hoped. Big bummer. I wish we had done the Mission Trails visitor center loop instead.

Thursday, April 27, 2017

much of the trail is closed right now

Friday, March 10, 2017

Muddy after the rain but no one was there so good place to get away.

Saturday, December 03, 2016

part of the loop is closed.

Sunday, October 23, 2016

Great walk for the morning. I took my puppy and he loved it!

Friday, June 24, 2016

There were literally no other people there (using the lake trail at least) at 6 pm on a summer Thursday. It was easy going once we found the lake. We started out in the wrong direction, oops. You can't see the lake most of the way from the righthand trail. There is a lot of overgrowth both behind the fence and on the path. It is often one person wide. The trail ends after awhile to protect the breeding ground of a native species. We didn't complete the lefthand side because I was wearing flip flops, but it seemed like you had a better view of the lake. Nice quiet little walk.

Friday, April 15, 2016

I have two littles in tow so this was a perfect "hike" for us. We walked the trail and then played by the water for a long time. Great for kids, not crowded, and has shady places to play.

Sunday, June 14, 2015

This was a nice trail however you can only go half way around because the northeast side of the lake is fenced off. Our walk ended up being just 1 mile instead of two.

Sunday, August 10, 2014

Clean, not too crowded with no elevation. It is also very dog friendly! A great way to start your Sunday.