Kovar Trail to Ridge Top Trail Loop

Kovar Trail to Ridge Top Trail Loop is a 5 mile loop trail located near Walnut Creek, California that features beautiful wild flowers. The trail is rated as moderate and primarily used for hiking, walking, and trail running.

Undulating hill views and an expansive valley unfold in the foothills of Mt. Diablo at Shell Ridge Open Space Park Kovar, Ridge Top, and the Briones - Mt. Diablo trails are the heart of this trip from the western edge of Shell Ridge Park in Walnut Creek Open Space in Contra Costa County. This is a highly scenic, friendly feeling park that blends rugged and gentle terrain in one package, leading towards Mt. Diablo wildlands from this lesser used entrance. This route covers an approximately 5 mile round trip loop: the open undulating hill views and level valley trails bring both challenging climbs and easy paths together in one venture. Views from the high Ridge Top Trail can be breathtaking, especially in a blanket of Spring greenery or Autumn gold.

Great rewards! I started this trail at a Howe Homestead park. Right from the start you have a nice up to get your heart racing. Once you get past the houses and to the top of the first ridge you can stay on top of the ridge to the left, or continue down The trail, which I did. Eventually, staying to the left I took the Shell Ridge Trail. The beautiful views all around me was well worth the non stop ups! I stopped and turned around after I got to the top of the third ridge. I was on a time limit that day and wasn't sure I had enough time to finish the loop. I will hike this trail again, maybe from a different starting point. I was told by a local that a few of the ladies in the Howe Park were responsible for the open space. Also, these connecting trails will take you from city land to county land to state land if you have the time to walk it! Enjoy!

Kovar trail is mostly uphill and then you drop down into Indian Valley and head back uphill to Ridge Trail. It's a great hike/run if you're training hills but not much shade so plan for that. All the uphill is worth it because running on top the hill on Ridge trail is really cool.