King's Canyon Loop Trail

King's Canyon Loop Trail is a 6.6 mile lightly trafficked loop trail located near Canyon, California that features a lake and is rated as moderate. The trail offers a number of activity options and is accessible year-round. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

Explore the Beauty of upper San Leandro Reservoir. This location offers excellent views and sense of being fully immersed in a natural setting. The trails connect to Anthony Chabot Region park and Redwood regional Park Start on the Riche Lop trail, then take the Rimmer Creek trail to the King's Canyon Loop Trail. Continue onto the Rocky Ridge Trail if you are feeling ambitious

Amazing views of rolling hills!

Can I do Kayak?

Awesome views

Some serious gains in elevation if you start in a clockwise manner heading towards Canyon and not the reservoir.
Would be nicer without the bleating and moaning of a bunch of cows stuck in a pen.

This trail is a good length and the right balance of hills and flat portions. However, it is not the right hike for a hot sunny day. There is barely any shade, and the area gets quite warm. We lathered ourselves with sunscreen every hour and still ended up suffering from the sun.

Not the prettiest hike, but definitely gave us a work out. The trail is not well marked and does not have much shade so definitely wear sunscreen! You are also supposed to have a permit but we risked it anyway and did not get ticketed. We did leave with some ticks tho... would not recommend this trail.

Great hike! This trail is part of the EBMUD watershed, so you will need a permit to hike here (or you need to be accompanied by someone with a permit). Make sure to sign in at the entrance.

There was a good bit of traffic along the trail. But by the time I reached the loop, the crowd had thinned out. Most of the people I saw beyond that point were part of a cross country team that was training.

There are some nice hills to climb and the trail is scenic. The western part of the loop is mostly shaded and the eastern part of the loop is hillier and not shaded. You don't really get as close to the reservoir as the map would make you think. The trail is high up from the water.

Monday, January 16, 2017

It was a great hike with great views and a good mixture of hills and flat terrain. It was slightly confusing at the start; you have to first go to the left and then you may chose to go left, having the harder part first, or right having the harder part come at the end. We made the mistake of first going right and ending up on a 0.7 mile loop. The trail was muddy which was not great but was manageable. Overall, good hike.

Sunday, November 06, 2016

This is a great trail for immense variation and wildlife. I've seen reclusive, rare Wood Dicks, wild pigs, with piglets, many coyotes, hawks and owls. One good thing about this trail is you have a choice of putting the one really hard climb in the beginning by going clockwise or at the end by going counterclockwise. If you pay close attention there are a couple of side trails that lead to small meadows that look like Monet paintings in wildflower season and lake views, including one old fashioned tire swing.

Thursday, October 27, 2016

A great trail I had the pleasure of hiking with a close friend. The hike was about the right length and difficulty to keep up a good conversation and enjoy the route. I didn't even know the lake existed until I found it in a hiking book. One side of the trail had great views of the lake and the other some pretty good views of the hills. There were a few people on the trail that day and a couple came by and told us not to go up the trail because they had seen a mountain lion... We went on and of course it didn't stay and pose for us to see. In all the trails I've been on I've seen about a half dozen bobcats but I've only seen one mountain by Burlingame within 1/4 mile of Hwy 280 surprisingly.

Saturday, September 03, 2016

Great view. Lots of shade. Easy long hiking.

Sunday, February 07, 2016

A lot more shade than I was expecting but most was uncovered. Got lost by avoiding a do not enter sign and walked approx an additional 1.5 miles uphill. Made for fun stories later but my legs were killing me. I'm not in the best shape so I would rate this trail as moderate. If you do the whole thing it's pretty tiring. Dogs are ok here so I may bring mine again but all were off leash which is technically not allowed.

Saturday, May 16, 2015

Absolutely gorgeous hike! Wild flowers everywhere, beautiful scenery, challenging terrain. Initial Kings Canyon Trail marker is not very clear though. When starting the trail, go the opposite direction the first marker is telling you to go, and you'll be fine.

Monday, January 12, 2015

Not a mtb trail!!

Saturday, July 26, 2014

No shade at all on the trail, which is killer on a hot day. Nice bench at the almost-mid-mark to eat lunch. Took 2hrs 40min to walk (excluding break time). Lots of dry grass, typical California scenery. Good exercise.

Tuesday, July 30, 2013

Nice trail but their are alot of bees.Also you are suposto have a permit to be able to use trail. I didn't have a permit parked anyway luckily no tickets when I got back to my car.

Tuesday, April 30, 2013

King Canyon Loop is a nice walk with a good multitude of scenery. You will share the trail with horses, families, bird watchers and dog walkers. There are some sweat inducing climbs and beautiful views. The trial is nice and wide but does get narrow for a small portion. It is easy to find and there is ample parking. I imagine it can get crowded there on the weekend as I went on a weekday morning and crossed paths with a quite a few other outdoor enthusiasts.