King's Canyon Loop Trail

King's Canyon Loop Trail is a 6.4 mile lightly trafficked loop trail located near Canyon, California that features a lake and is rated as moderate. The trail offers a number of activity options and is accessible year-round. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

Explore the Beauty of upper San Leandro Reservoir. This location offers excellent views and sense of being fully immersed in a natural setting. The trails connect to Anthony Chabot Region park and Redwood regional Park Start on the Riche Lop trail, then take the Rimmer Creek trail to the King's Canyon Loop Trail. Continue onto the Rocky Ridge Trail if you are feeling ambitious

7:10 at the Trailhead. OMG Cold! This was our fastest time on this loop. 2:45 min. We did not pass a single person on the trail. The parking lot was empty. I guess the poor air quality from the fires is keeping everyone away. Seen a Peregren Falcon, Redtail hawk, and Wood Ducks in the creek. Also walking thru a ravine at about the 2.2 mile marker, had coyotes, several of them howling to each other on each side of the ravine. Super intense. Love this hike.

It’s a nice trail. Must be very hard to do it in summer as it gets very hot! Bring plenty of water and sunscreen.

This is a regular run for me. I usually start from the far end at Rancho Laguna Park and run counter clockwise to hit the big hill first. If time permits I might add on the Rimer Creek trail or continue on to Redwood Park. Great run most of the year, but can get muddy in winter and early spring. I’ve run it in all twelve months.

We hike every weekend and this is our favorite hikes. It's a good hike, your tired when your done. Most of all there are very few people. I think because you need a permit it may keep some away. We hike in a clockwise direction so we are in the shade for the back half of the hike. The first half is exposed, and you get the climb out of the way early. It also seems like the hikers on this trail are experienced hikers looking for solitude, not the Lafayette Reservoir loud mouths.

Right now in October there is a ton of wildlife. I seen two large Coyotes and many bird species, too many to count. Wood Ducks are kind of rare and they are always there. Always the white Pelicans, Cormorants, many waterfowl species, Red-tail Hawks, Canadian Geese and Song birds.

Easily one of the best three hour hikes in the East Bay. You can bring your dog. Start early to avoid the heat.

Yellow jackets!!!
Rattlesnakes!!!
Ticks!!!

Here's another vote for going clockwise and knocking the hardest hill out early in the hike. You need a permit which you can purchase online from EBMUD for $3. Beautiful views of the hills with lots of birds and lizards. I didn't see anyone else on the trail, although I did go mid-day on a hot Thursday. Big chunks of the trail don't have much shade so bring sunscreen, and plenty of water, especially if you go in the summer.

Really good moderate level hike.. as recommended start ur hike from the left side and then hike towards the lake so that u get the steep part early in the hike.nice views of the reservoir.. Part shade.. Start early so that it is not very hot. Nice clean wide trail. Use Alltrails to map urself on trail. Not many people on this trail.. It says u need EBMUD permit to hike here. Good31/2 hr hike.

Awesome trail!

The views were nice and nice spots to stop for a snack.

Lots of cow paddies but now cows. Definitely go clockwise. Some bugs due to proximity to the water.

Spring hiking

I’d recommend clockwise first to knock out the big hill early. You’ll be able to take advantage of the shade alongside the lake on your way back. Quiet and far fewer people than Redwood.

We did the loop counter-clockwise which put the big hill about 4.5 miles into the hike. I would recommend tackling that early. Beautiful views of the reservoir.

my 1st ever hike. it was cold @ 8 am but the beautiful views along with my music in my ears made it all worth it & that much easier. I'd definitely do this hike again. I finished in 2 hours & 5 minutes.

Sunday, January 21, 2018

Nice hike. Cold morning. Suggest going clockwise to hit the hill first to warm up.

Sunday, January 14, 2018

Amazing views of rolling hills!

Sunday, January 07, 2018

Thursday, August 31, 2017

Can I do Kayak?

Monday, June 12, 2017

Awesome views

Sunday, June 11, 2017

Some serious gains in elevation if you start in a clockwise manner heading towards Canyon and not the reservoir.
Would be nicer without the bleating and moaning of a bunch of cows stuck in a pen.

Monday, June 05, 2017

This trail is a good length and the right balance of hills and flat portions. However, it is not the right hike for a hot sunny day. There is barely any shade, and the area gets quite warm. We lathered ourselves with sunscreen every hour and still ended up suffering from the sun.

Monday, May 22, 2017

Not the prettiest hike, but definitely gave us a work out. The trail is not well marked and does not have much shade so definitely wear sunscreen! You are also supposed to have a permit but we risked it anyway and did not get ticketed. We did leave with some ticks tho... would not recommend this trail.

Saturday, February 04, 2017

Great hike! This trail is part of the EBMUD watershed, so you will need a permit to hike here (or you need to be accompanied by someone with a permit). Make sure to sign in at the entrance.

There was a good bit of traffic along the trail. But by the time I reached the loop, the crowd had thinned out. Most of the people I saw beyond that point were part of a cross country team that was training.

There are some nice hills to climb and the trail is scenic. The western part of the loop is mostly shaded and the eastern part of the loop is hillier and not shaded. You don't really get as close to the reservoir as the map would make you think. The trail is high up from the water.

Monday, January 16, 2017

It was a great hike with great views and a good mixture of hills and flat terrain. It was slightly confusing at the start; you have to first go to the left and then you may chose to go left, having the harder part first, or right having the harder part come at the end. We made the mistake of first going right and ending up on a 0.7 mile loop. The trail was muddy which was not great but was manageable. Overall, good hike.

Sunday, November 06, 2016

This is a great trail for immense variation and wildlife. I've seen reclusive, rare Wood Dicks, wild pigs, with piglets, many coyotes, hawks and owls. One good thing about this trail is you have a choice of putting the one really hard climb in the beginning by going clockwise or at the end by going counterclockwise. If you pay close attention there are a couple of side trails that lead to small meadows that look like Monet paintings in wildflower season and lake views, including one old fashioned tire swing.

Thursday, October 27, 2016

A great trail I had the pleasure of hiking with a close friend. The hike was about the right length and difficulty to keep up a good conversation and enjoy the route. I didn't even know the lake existed until I found it in a hiking book. One side of the trail had great views of the lake and the other some pretty good views of the hills. There were a few people on the trail that day and a couple came by and told us not to go up the trail because they had seen a mountain lion... We went on and of course it didn't stay and pose for us to see. In all the trails I've been on I've seen about a half dozen bobcats but I've only seen one mountain by Burlingame within 1/4 mile of Hwy 280 surprisingly.

Saturday, September 03, 2016

Great view. Lots of shade. Easy long hiking.

Sunday, February 07, 2016

A lot more shade than I was expecting but most was uncovered. Got lost by avoiding a do not enter sign and walked approx an additional 1.5 miles uphill. Made for fun stories later but my legs were killing me. I'm not in the best shape so I would rate this trail as moderate. If you do the whole thing it's pretty tiring. Dogs are ok here so I may bring mine again but all were off leash which is technically not allowed.

Saturday, May 16, 2015

Absolutely gorgeous hike! Wild flowers everywhere, beautiful scenery, challenging terrain. Initial Kings Canyon Trail marker is not very clear though. When starting the trail, go the opposite direction the first marker is telling you to go, and you'll be fine.

Monday, January 12, 2015