Kent Trail to Stocking Trail, Rocky Ridge Fire Road is a 5.3 mile lightly trafficked loop trail located near Fairfax, California that features a lake and is rated as moderate. The trail offers a number of activity options and is accessible year-round. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

Park entrance fee is $8. Parking at the base of the dam. If you hike counterclockwise you will hike along the water and then head uphill through the trees. At the top of the hill, the landscape becomes more desert like, with very little shade and gorgeous views. If you hike it in reverse, you will head up a very steep and exposed hill and then head down into the forest, near the water. Either way, this makes for a great hike, but we recommend counterclockwise.

nice but steep at the front

great hike with lots of different types of terrain

Great hike! Beautiful views and quiet.

beautiful hike with varying terrain- lake, forrest, “desert”- gorgeous. not what i would i consider “easy” with stairs and inclines not totally steep, but there is a significant elevation gain. you can see san pablo bay at one point. fantastic!

Our dog got bit by a rattlesnake on this trail today. It’s beautiful, but please be careful!

Not an “EASY” hike. Loved it, but its far too technical to be EASY with either a steep sun-drenched grade up a fire road if entering the loop to the left, or a shady, but technical and long up-and-down single track if entering from the right of the split. IMHO, I’d head left and get the climb out of the way early in the hike and then enjoy the walk as you head toward the reservoir filled with really great views.

I loved the differing terrain on this hike. I agree with other reviewers, it felt a little more difficult than an “easy” hike considering how many stairs were involved...one of the best hikes I’ve been in the Bay Area!

One of the best locations for many great trails! The best way to get here is going to the 'Mt Tamalpais Watershed' where you pay an $8 parking fee. There is no attendants but a pay machine that you can pay cash or card. Very convenient. There is a porta-potty if you have to go.

Unfortunately, there is no available map for your use. Good thing I used AllTrails' the know where to go exactly! There is plenty of parking even on a weekend but the parking is on gravel. This hike sees both ‘Bon Tempe lake’ and on the other side is ‘Alpine Lake'. The trail we took, took us to both.

Actually, this trail was awesome to take even if to me this was considered moderate and NOT easy; about 5+ miles loop. It takes you to many small waterfalls and rivers, big trees, large logs, bridges and stairs were killer! Don't come here if you've partied the night before. I totally regret it as it was killer on my body! Hahaha...

Some trails can be deceiving but you have to go through rocks, bridges and water beds so make use of those waterproof hiking shoes! Because of the waterfalls, water puddles and lake, beware of ticks! There is a lots of them but you can avoid by wearing long pants and socks if you can. Check your clothes before entering your car.

Most of the trail is shaded but towards the end was open space. Many of the trails are very narrow for one person. I believe this is one of the most beautiful most scenic trails I have gone through so far.

I would definitely come back here to do it again! It's a great workout! The lake is beautiful and pictures don't do justice compared to being there.

Wednesday, July 05, 2017

Took two 5-year-olds, and we all loved it. They kept stopping to look at things, and we had lunch by the lake, so it took us 6 hours to complete! We saw wild turkeys, deer, giant hawks, and more. Beautiful views! Will definitely return. Little town near the entrance to the trail was super charming and looked like it had some great dining options. Will stop there for dinner afterward next time.

Wednesday, June 07, 2017

Lovely, easy walk around the lake. Beautiful scenery. Easier to start on the shady side route (right at the fork).

Sunday, March 26, 2017

Beautiful trail. We did the loop lots of interesting components wild flowers, views, lakes, streams, quaint little foot bridges, changes in elevation and terrain all in all lovely.

Monday, January 16, 2017

I did the loop a week after great storm. Some of path literally become stream and need extra judgment to pass. You need proper hiking boots to do this trail in wet muddy winter walk. it was pretty chilly and foggy morning but once we reached the alpine lake the view just amazing.

Tuesday, November 29, 2016

This is a beautiful easy hiking trail, a lot of shade and not too long. You can make it longer if you want well maintained btw.

Wednesday, August 31, 2016

Great maintained trails. Little poison oaky but not bad. My dog loved it, we went up to Kent Trail, it was a beautiful hike, just wished we could dive in that pristine water!

Monday, August 15, 2016

Lovely hike with my dog.

Sunday, August 02, 2015

Beautiful and easy trail.

Sunday, April 06, 2014

It's a little muddy, but overall a good hike around the lake! It's a pretty easy loop! The lake looks calm and the Scenery is nice. Dogs are allow for this trail with a leash.

Monday, May 13, 2013

The Bon Tempe is a flat, but somewhat moderate because of distance, loop around the lake. There are two main trails, the Sunnyside Trail and the Shadyside Trail (titles are accurate) that make up the loop. We started at the Sky Oaks (eastern) parking lot just north of the dam and made our way south along the Shadyside Trail and had lunch at the Lagunitas Picnic Area, a good half way point to take a load off.

This trail is great for kids and families, flat terrain, fishing in some designated areas, access to explore the water banks (no swimming), and great views the entire way. If you are an avid hiker, you might find it lacking in challenge but the lake views make up for it.

$8/carload keeps this place quiet and secluded, dogs on leash.