Learn more

Kent Trail to Stocking Trail, Rocky Ridge Fire Road

moderateYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarGray Star(247)
Mount Tamalpais Watershed

Kent Trail to Stocking Trail, Rocky Ridge Fire Road is a 5.3 mile heavily trafficked loop trail located near Fairfax, California that features a lake and is rated as moderate. The trail offers a number of activity options and is accessible year-round. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

Distance: 5.3 miles Elevation Gain: 856 feet Route Type: Loop

The watershed remains open to the public, with some restrictions, for recreational use daily from sunrise to sunset. The recent county health order prohibits vehicles and parking at the watershed, with the exception of people with disabilities who have the required disability placards or license plates for their vehicles. Parking for those with disabilities is available at our Sky Oaks parking lot. While the watershed remains open, visitors must comply with social distancing requirements of at least 6 feet. All volunteer programs that take place on the watershed have been canceled until further notice.

Great hike on a beautiful day. Some people on the trail but not too many. Agree with other folks to do it counter clockwise.

Absolutely beautiful day! The trails were well paved, lots of rocks around the rim, beautiful views of the Lake and Dam. Hiking along the lake felt a lot like Lake Tahoe with the beautiful towering pines. Kent trail lead us past some ponds and the misquotes were swarming rather heavily. Coming back on Stocking trail was very populated with mountain bikers and it was mostly downhill on slippery gravel. I would suggest doing this hike counterclockwise so then you would end up seeing the lake on the way back and a great place to stop for your lunch under the trees.

Excellent day hike and great news, the parking lot is open once again! Absolutely make sure to go counter clockwise. The climb is shady and much easier than going the clockwise direction. The downhill is steep and very slippery with scree on the fire road so watch your step. Spectacular views from the ridge, serene lake views along the way. A hikers kind of hike. Enjoy!

Completely blocked off and cant reach trail

Lots of fun! Beautiful views! Did this hike during Covid restrictions so there wasn’t hardly anyone else in the area. The road leading up to the parking lots is closed so be aware that you might need to walk from the bottom of the hill while those road closures are in place. Certain parts of the hike can get fairly steep but overall a really beautiful hike with mostly shaded trails. You get to hike along the lake for a chunk and you’ll see some waterfalls too. Wish I would have brought the dog ! Also wish you could jump in that beautiful lake after those 10 miles!

Great loop .. no water in waterfalls . Shady .. yes poison oak but clean wide paths .

Good hike but tons of ticks. I found at least 10 on each of my dogs, and hoping I don’t have any on me.

Beautiful hike with dog . Lots of different sights. You go from walking along the beautiful lakes to redwood forests to amazing views of Marin . Some sections are steep . We went up to serpentine ridge to increase hike length and elevation

Great trail! Most was flat but towards the end there was uphill. Mostly shady.

Great hike. The Rocky Ridge trail portion doesn't have much shade so it gets hot in the afternoons in the summer time. Bring lots of water!

Saw 3 otters!

Did it clockwise because I wanted to knock out the hill first. I'm glad I did -- that would have been a painful trip down. It is definitely a climb for a solid mile up, but the views of the lakes and Mt Tam east peak are gorgeous. I hiked this in winter; definitely would be a different experience on a hot sunny Summer day. This time of year there are lots of streams and small waterfalls (it is the watershed, after all!). There is also a lot of mud and puddles plus stream crossings, so just be prepared for that. Finally, be careful - there is a double trunk tree down on the trail at about the halfway point. I didn't stoop enough and got to see stars and now have a beautiful lump on my forehead! Lots of people have their dogs out here off lead. Some don't seem to clean up, which is just fantastic next to our drinking water. I love dogs, but I wish more people would have some consideration for the environment and fellow hikers by following the leash law. I'm complaining a lot, but that's because this is a really nice walk that is suffering a bit from heavy use and I'm concerned they will have to close it for rehab.

Muddy but excellent hike.

If you have bad knees bring trecking poles and take ibuprofen. Lots and lots of steep steps

A really picturesque & serene trail! Went on a weekday in January and we only saw four other people (two pairs) the entire trail. The scenery along the water looked like a Bob Ross painting. There were a few fallen trees on the trail so there is some light climbing and ducking involved. It was also somewhat muddy at some parts, so do wear your waterproof shoes. I would recommend doing the trail counter-clockwise, unless you prefer a steep ascend early on in your hike!

Beautiful Trail!!! Walked alongside a beautiful reservoir scenery for half of the hike and then a little bit inland where there are marshes and beautiful shaded trees. Very little of the trail was muddy, but enough to get your shoes dirty, be sure to bring some water proof shoes just in case! My friend hiked in Vans, but she came out just fine! Other than that, the trail was super easy to walk, not too rocky and not too bumpy. There was a bit of in incline for about ~1 mile, but once you get to the top, you’ll see the reservoirs and even the bay!! Awesome Hike!! Would definitely recommend this for all types of hikers!!

This was a gorgeous cloudy day hike with a multitude of diverse trail environments, from redwood forest, to rocky exposed lake paths, to dim and shaded moss trail.

fee

Beautiful hike, but very hot on an August day. Bring lots of water. Also, don't forget to pay the $8 fee on the machines, one mile ahead of the parking lot. We didn't see the sign and got a $50 fine.

This was a beautiful trail and beautiful views. I would recommend ending with the water though. As the day went on the sun got hot. As is recommended, you end in an unshaded part of the hike which gets reallllly hot.

Nice hike, look forward to trying it in other seasons. Did the trail counterclockwise as suggested. Which I liked. Started at 9:30 AM, way too late. Once my dog and I broke thru the shade into the sun the last 1.5 miles, was way too hot for the dog. Need to bring lots of water for yourself and your dog. Painful to have a lake near by that you cannot go into, fine is $270 per the Sheriff who was waiting in the parking lot. Don't get caught.

Super fun hike. Varying terrain makes it interesting. A lot of uphills and downhills but nothing to crazy. Great trail for me and my dog!

Great hike, dog friendly

Sun Jun 23 2019

I wish there more signs but otherwise nice hike

Such a great hike! Can extend with the split to Cataract falls - so worth it!!! (3.4 mi round trip)

Mon May 27 2019

Sun May 05 2019

This may be my favorite hike. The scenery was amazing, and being shaded most of the trail was wonderful. From the Spanish moss to the wildflowers to the exposed tree roots that resembled steps, it was just an awesome experience. Like others I chose to start to left to do the uphill earlier in the hike. I guess I went too far and ended up turning it into a 7 mile hike with the steep section in the middle, but it was still fantastic. Tons of flying bugs, bring mosquito spray!