Kelso Dunes Trail

Kelso Dunes Trail is a 2.7 mile moderately trafficked out and back trail located near Baker, California that features beautiful wild flowers and is rated as moderate. The trail offers a number of activity options and is accessible year-round. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

Directions from Ludlow: Travel westward on Interstate 40 28.2 miles to Kelbaker Road. Turn left (north) on Kelbaker Road and drive 14 miles to the Kelso Dunes access road. Turn left and drive four miles to the trailhead.

Had a lot of fun running down the dunes. Great views

I second what others have said about these dunes being more impressive than the Mesquite Flat Dunes. Highly recommend visiting at sunset, if you can. The sunset hues and dune shadows will make the landscape (and your pics) that much more dramatic.

These dunes are more impressive than the Mesquite Flat Dunes in Death Valley. The climb to the top was brutal -- I recommend walking up the side of the tallest dune and following the ridge to the top rather than trying to walk straight up. The views at the top made the struggle worth it though, and it was really fun to run and slide down the dunes.

This is a great little 2-3hr hike to the top of the dunes. They are close to 700ft tall, but something to really be enjoyed. The white sand, and blue desert skies make a beautiful setting for Photographers like myself.

The sand dunes are big and offer a nice view from the top. It's a good workout getting to the top since you slide back a little with each step. Make sure to run down the side like a maniac when you're ready to come down!

Beautiful, especially in the early evening. The trudge up the dunes is well worth the effort.

Great detour if you're already on the 40. The dunes are awesome. If you go in the summer try to go as early as possible and bring lots of water!

One of the more fun shorter hikes I have completed. I attempted this hike in the fall of 2011 in about 95F heat...I did not complete it at that time. It was too hot for me. This day in late May 2015 was about 65F starting at 10AM and about 75F at completion. Following the ridge and stepping in previous hikers' tracks made the walking significantly easier.

Hidden sand dune in the middle of nowhere but worth the detour! I recommend hiking sandals if you have them. Our friends who wore shoes had to stop a couple times to unload the sand out of their shoes. However we did see one group going completely bare foot! Definitely need a bandana because the winds pick up the higher you go and googles! And one thing I wish I brought was something to slide down the dune once we got to the top!

If u have hiking sandals wear those! I wore my chacos and stayed on top of the soft sand rather than sinking in. Nice views from the top! The sand "farts" when you run down it!! Unique experience in the middle of effing nowhere. Wear a bandana over ur mouth and wraparound sunglasses, a hat that will stay on in the wind is a must. Go exploring!!

This is my favorite sand dunes. Although I have only been 2 dunes in my life I already know that this has to be 1 of the best. I randomly woke up 1 day at 4am and took a 4 hour drive to the Mojave and hike the dunes. I was basically the only person the entire time. I really enjoyed the quietness of the place and the view was spectacular.

When I lived in L.A. in the 90s the area between I-40 and I-15 was my favorite. Kelso Dunes, Cima Dome, and the Providence Mountains are excellent escapes from the smogy, crowded sprawl. I live south Florida now - I miss the desert.

this is an awesome hike to the top of a sand dune. took me about 2 hours start to finish.