Keller Peak

Keller Peak is a 13.2 mile lightly trafficked out and back trail located near Running Springs, California that features beautiful wild flowers and is rated as moderate. The trail offers a number of activity options and is best used from April until October. Dogs and horses are also able to use this trail.

My favorite trail anytime of year! The hike to the top is so worth it! Beautiful flowers in the spring and fall colors on fall. Light traffic .

Pleasantly surprised by this trail.
While looking at previous tracks for this hike I noticed the original track crosses the road and heads toward the children's forest, so I decided that would be my route today. Nice gradual gain up to the road near the children's forest, after reaching the road I headed left and took the first dirt road on the right that led up through the ski resort. On the far south side of the resort there is a faint trail that leads off to the right toward Keller peak this trail is in poor condition and is overgrown with brush but passable. Just before reaching the road again the trail drops steeply down a sandy dry stream. From there you have to walk the road for a little over 1/2 mile to reach the summit with the fire lookout and radio tower building. Although all of the equipment up there detracts from the wilderness feel the views are quite impressive in all directions. If there were a dedicated trail to the summit bypassing the need to walk the road I would give this trail 5 stars. On the way up I marked a waypoint along the trail at the area that would be the best to do a cross country to and from the road just below the summit and hiked that way on my return. I did have to do a little bushwacking but it was fairly easy and cut about 3/4 mile off the road walk, however I would not recommend this to anyone not well schooled in cross country hiking and good knowledge on how to read a topographic map. All in all this is a nice trail to hike in this area even if you just go to the road and back.

Fun hike to bring your dog on, the trail is relatively open and not to rocky. It pretty much has it all, valleys, great open views, rock faces, creeks, and shady spots along the way. When we went on 5/01/17 it was in the upper 70’s and I consumed 3 liters of water up and back while my dog 65lbs consumed 1.5 liters. At that time there was enough water in the creeks to do the hike (make sure to bring your filter) if you didn’t want to pack your water. On the way back down approximately one kilometer from the trail head we were fortunate enough to have a rare encounter with a juvenile black bear running up the trail then after seeing us took off down a valley and up a hill, pretty cool way to finish the hike.

I grew up in these mountains but the views never get old. Moderate trail we may try bringing the dogs next time.

wouldn't really recommend it right now. about half way through the trail the snow gets to be to much unless you have snow shoes or mico spikes.

This is a great trail with beautiful views! Disclaimer: the trail starting from Exploration Trail to Keller Peak is actually about 12 miles and 2000 elevation gain. This was my 2nd attempt doing this hike, as the first time I didn't have enough water and only prepared for the length that All Trails stated. This time I was more prepared and totally worth the extra miles and elevation to get to the peak:)

All around gorgeous, even in summer it's pretty cool up there lots of shade beautiful views/scenery! Don't miss out on the ranger post it was a little scary (steep stairs) and it got super Windy while we were up there but it was so nice the kids loved it!

Tuesday, June 21, 2016

Great trail ! Lots of shade and great changing landscape.

Saturday, June 18, 2016