Keane Wonder Mine Trail is a 8.1 mile lightly trafficked out and back trail located near Death Valley, California that offers the chance to see wildlife and is rated as difficult. The trail is primarily used for hiking and nature trips.

Distance: 8.1 miles Elevation Gain: 2,162 feet Route Type: Out & Back

historic site

As another person noted this trail is only about 3 miles out and back; the listed mileage accounts for the distance from the main road and the hike. The road to get to the the mine is all dirt and rocks, and while I drove it in a sedan it was very slow. Take your time and account for at least an hour's drive out and back. The hike itself was one of my favorites in Death Valley. The abandoned mining equipment and the views into the valley made for a truly unique hike. I would recommend going at Sunset for the spectacular views, but make sure to bring a flashlight/head lamp as it gets dark quickly.

The hike is actually just 3 miles. There is a gravel road that goes right up to the base of the mountains. It's not a great road. I do not have a high clearance car, and it was VERY slow and bumpy (and may have busted up the underside of my car a bit). I would recommend high clearance if possible, but it's doable without it (definitely have a spare tire). The trail itself is very steep but quite pretty. There's a fork near the beginning - keep right. There were only 2 other people around when we went and it was the quietest experience of my life. Literally the only things I could hear were my own footsteps and heartbeat - it was surreal. The views back on to the valley were also marvelous, and the old mining equipment was pretty neat!

I love this trail just because of all the old mining equipment and tramways! Dis see a huge rattler on this trail

The mining ruins are great, and I was constantly amazed what they accomplished back then. The trail (old road) was a treat in itself being shiny gold, silver, red and other colors the entire way.

recorded Keane Wonder Mine Trail