Kanaka Peak Trail is a 8.5 mile lightly trafficked out and back trail located near Redding, California that features a lake and is rated as moderate. The trail offers a number of activity options and is accessible year-round. Dogs are also able to use this trail.

Directions: Take Highway 299 west of Redding to Kennedy Memorial Drive and turn left. Continue onto Paige Bar Road (do not cross Whiskeytown Dam) and turn right on Peltier Valley Road. Follow the road and park at Peltier Bridge Primitive Campground. If you have a four-wheel-drive vehicle, drive another mile on Peltier Valley Road to the Kanaka Peak trailhead.

nice long walk, very dog friendly.

Kanaka Trail closed today Sept 2, 2018 as well as Clear Creek Trail

Great trail. 10.1 mi. round trip from Shasta Mine parking (large horse trailer). About 8 from Peltier Campground (you can drive to) for regular hikers. 2066ft climb, not steep but good incline first couple miles from Peltier, then you really don't notice the incline from there. Great views. Done it many times.

A little confusing at the start but once you cross the bridge and go through the campsite, you'll find the gated road that runs beside the bathrooms. That is the starting point. Hiked this trail at the end of May, still lots of wildflowers and runoff. The pools were a welcomed stop to take a break and cool off. The hike was partly shaded but if it gets too hot, as Redding does, a hat and sunscreen is a must. We forgot bug spray :/, won't forget next time ticks and mosquitos abound.
A nice shaded bench awaits atop Kanaka and I was worth the hike. The views both day and night were beautiful. A beautiful place to spend the night.

I really enjoyed this hike! The road was closed (and I definitely don’t think I would’ve been able to drive up it without AWD) so it added and extra 2 miles to the hike (total). The first 2ish miles are fairly steep. Doable, but steep. The middle of the hike doesn’t have much incline and is a nice break from the first portion. It inclined for the last two miles but is mostly covered and has some great views of Whiskeytown Lake! The top was great-a major view of the lake and Mt. Shasta! There’s also a nice bench at the top. There’s a great little creek near the trailhead-fun to cool off in the beginning and end! Also-there are bathrooms at the campground which is a bonus. I loved the hike and the variety of some switchbacks and some potions just through trees! Took us between 3-3 1/2 hours not including our break at the top for lunch.

Very beautiful, peaceful hike. I wasn't prepared for the 4.5 mile trek up the side of a mountain, my mistake, so I was quite sore afterwards, and knee bothering me quite a bit on the way down the same 4.5 miles. The view at the top was amazing! Natural beauty all around. I'd do it again!

I hiked beginning of May. Spectacular view at the top and pretty falls along the way! Other highlights include being surrounded by butterflies and wildflowers at multiple points. I encountered a bear over halfway up- a young adult. The bear startled at my presence and crashed through the brush about 4 yards from me before turning and loping off.

Awesome trail—pretty well maintained, and we had the whole thing practically to ourselves! Took us about 3-3.5 hrs plus stop time at the top. You get glimpses of the lake on the way, and there’s a great view at the top, so go on a clear day to see Lassen and Shasta looking pristine. In drier weather, it’s ok to drive to the trailhead with the proper car, but we decided to start at the campground and get our miles in. (I think the gate was only open this weekend for a bike race anyway.)

The only con was the abundance of poison oak, but it doesn’t usually intrude on the trail. You just have to be attentive, especially in the spring when it blends in with the rest of the greenery. Also, the only other hiker we saw warned us she’d seen a bear on her way up, so as always just keep your eyes peeled!

Great trail! Went in mid-March and endured some rain and beautiful snowfall! This time of year there are a few creeks to cross carefully and a beautiful waterfall. The hike up can be a little grueling but you can do it! There is a big clearing at the peak, and even a nice bench under a tree. The hike down is fast and easy. The whole thing took us about 3 hours.

Hiked from Peltier Campground up the 4x4 road (since the gate is closed in the winter) to the Kanaka Peak Trail. Enjoyed sweeping views, a seasonal waterfall and a 360• view at the top! It was a beautiful, clear Sunday morning and I could see the Trinity Alps to the west, Lassen to the East and other mountains to the north and south with rolling hills! The shaded bench will be great in the summer seeing as the top is otherwise totally exposed. I took the Kanaka Cutoff Trail back down to Logging Camp and then back to the campground. Got a little turned around, but really enjoyed my hike! The creek crossings, top views and flora and fauna are so rich! Worth the effort and will do it again!

Nice little workout yesterday... had the trail to ourselves, beautiful weather, the streams were all pretty low/easy to cross, trail is in good shape/well-maintained with a couple of passable downed trees. The road to the trailhead is closed for winter so that’s an added mile or so of mostly uphill hiking, totaled about 8.25-8.5 miles round trip all said and done, did it in about 4 hours with a break at the top for lunch. Nice 360° views from the peak. Lots of ticks!! Probably stopped and pulled at least 20-30 out of my dog’s fur throughout our hike.

Be aware that Whiskeytown’s day use fee is now $20(!!), or you can buy a 1-year access that includes Lassen for $40.

Not much of a hiker but this trail was extremely fun and beautiful views from the top of Kanaka peak

Wednesday, July 19, 2017

July 19 2017
The AllTrails map includes about 1 mile of driving to the parking lot, so the hike is really only a bit less than 8 miles if you start from there (parking lot with bathrooms). I traveled 8.4 miles round trip including exploring up into where the waterfall would be. The waterfall was dried up which was disappointing but it was fun to explore the rock formations. From the parking lot it's a pretty moderate steady incline up a dirt road in full exposure. You will finally reach the trailhead sign for Kanaka Peak Trail which you could drive to with 4 wheel drive, which would make the hike around 5-6 miles round trip. Once on the trail for about a mile or so it levels off for a bit before reaching the peak which is nice. It's well-maintained and shaded. The peak view is not the best, but it's decent for staying around in Redding and getting some moderate miles in.

Saturday, June 17, 2017

nice uphill hike.

Friday, April 21, 2017

Friday, April 21, 2017

Friday, March 03, 2017

The road to the trail head is currently closed so that added about a mile and a half to the trail. The trail was well maintained and it had a few streams were we could fill up our water bottles. It winds gradually up all the way to the peak. At the top there is awesome view of the lake and the surrounding areas around Redding. I made a track with my GPS and it was 8.2 miles total. It took us four hours to do this hike.

Tuesday, February 14, 2017

Fun trail, about a mile or two is the width of a gravel road then turns into more of a single track trail towards the top. Moderately uphill most of the way. I went in feb so two stream crossings and some pretty waterfalls.

Thursday, October 13, 2016

If hills are hard for you then this trail is hard. If not it's more moderate in my opinion. Did it in my running shoes with my 6 year old Dobie who loved it, especially when he got to take a break in some fresh cold water. I will go back with the family, my 9 year old should be able to handle this one

Wednesday, September 07, 2016

Hiked this trail last weekend and started from the peltier campground. I hiked up the 4x4 road to the trailhead, and camped at the top of kanaka peak. Great views of Redding, I wouldn't classify it as a hard trail, more moderate.

Sunday, August 31, 2014

This is a great trail. Wide and easy going. Took about 3.5 hours at a easy pace. Did it in running shoes. Great view of the lake on the summit!

Sunday, August 10, 2014

A decent hike right outside of Redding. The trailhead is near Whiskeytown Lake, which can be refreshing after the hike, but the lake also provides a beautiful view once you hike for a couple miles. The beginning of the trail is gravel because you can drive to the actual head if you like. Once you get on it, it's quite the incline for most of the time, but it's a very enjoyable hike. Streams and views are a couple of the highlights on the hike. Once you get to the top, there is nice bench under a tree that overlooks the lake. I would recommend this hike!

Wednesday, June 26, 2013

fabulous hike Monday June 24th 2013 it was raining and beautiful. thr trail is a bit overgrown in spots but easily manageable. The views are great.