Kanaka Peak Trail

Kanaka Peak Trail is a 9.2 mile lightly trafficked out and back trail located near Redding, California that features a waterfall and is rated as moderate. The trail is primarily used for hiking, walking, nature trips, and birding and is accessible year-round.

Directions: Take Highway 299 west of Redding to Kennedy Memorial Drive and turn left. Continue onto Paige Bar Road (do not cross Whiskeytown Dam) and turn right on Peltier Valley Road. Follow the road and park at Peltier Bridge Primitive Campground. If you have a four-wheel-drive vehicle, drive another mile on Peltier Valley Road to the Kanaka Peak trailhead.

The road to the trail head is currently closed so that added about a mile and a half to the trail. The trail was well maintained and it had a few streams were we could fill up our water bottles. It winds gradually up all the way to the peak. At the top there is awesome view of the lake and the surrounding areas around Redding. I made a track with my GPS and it was 8.2 miles total. It took us four hours to do this hike.

Fun trail, about a mile or two is the width of a gravel road then turns into more of a single track trail towards the top. Moderately uphill most of the way. I went in feb so two stream crossings and some pretty waterfalls.

If hills are hard for you then this trail is hard. If not it's more moderate in my opinion. Did it in my running shoes with my 6 year old Dobie who loved it, especially when he got to take a break in some fresh cold water. I will go back with the family, my 9 year old should be able to handle this one

Hiked this trail last weekend and started from the peltier campground. I hiked up the 4x4 road to the trailhead, and camped at the top of kanaka peak. Great views of Redding, I wouldn't classify it as a hard trail, more moderate.

This is a great trail. Wide and easy going. Took about 3.5 hours at a easy pace. Did it in running shoes. Great view of the lake on the summit!

A decent hike right outside of Redding. The trailhead is near Whiskeytown Lake, which can be refreshing after the hike, but the lake also provides a beautiful view once you hike for a couple miles. The beginning of the trail is gravel because you can drive to the actual head if you like. Once you get on it, it's quite the incline for most of the time, but it's a very enjoyable hike. Streams and views are a couple of the highlights on the hike. Once you get to the top, there is nice bench under a tree that overlooks the lake. I would recommend this hike!

fabulous hike Monday June 24th 2013 it was raining and beautiful. thr trail is a bit overgrown in spots but easily manageable. The views are great.