New Years Sale! Get a year of AllTrails Pro for only $19.99
Get Started

Kaiser Loop Trail

Kaiser Loop Trail is a 19.5 mile moderately trafficked loop trail located near Lakeshore, California that features a lake and is rated as difficult. The trail offers a number of activity options and is best used from April until October.

Distance: 19.5 miles Elevation Gain: 4,133 feet Route Type: Loop

Marry’s Meadow

I did the trail with Molly my terrier on 9/7/19. One day. Six am start. We went clockwise starting at the stables. Not a soul on the trail until Kaiser peak. It is very doable in one day. We did not stray from the loop but keep your AP open because a few meadows had very little tracks and had to rely on the ap for guidance. Some streams early on for filling. right before the peak you can veer off the trail to a lake to refill. after that only water is a mile from the stables. I was off trail at 2:30. I highly recommend going clockwise. If you go counter you are in for a grueling 5 miles to the peak. BTW. I'm no young cookie. I am 44 female and if you are a seasoned hiker like me you can do it too!!! I got a lot of great shots on the Kaiser ridge. It was well worth it

I took an ambitious novice on this hike and he had a really tough time took him 4.5 hours to get to the lake. He Stopped to pray several times and Thanked God when finally saw the Lake. His swim cooled him down and refreshed him and of course thankfully the trip down was much easier. It will be some thing he and his Son will always remember. Nico you and Mateó should be very proud of each other.

I hiked this trail on June 28, 2019 and after a winter of high snowfall, the trail was still covered in some areas. I made this a 2 night trip, and it was good. The trail is lost in some points and required a bit of route finding skills. It should be much better by now. My small dog was able to make it on the trail without issue. I would recommend this trail as it is incredibly rewarding at the peak with a 180 degree view of snow cap mountains to the south. I only saw 5 hikers over the entire 2 and 1/2 day span. It is about 20 miles around the full loop, not counting the lake detour.

We hiked this loop counterclockwise in 3 days (though you can do it in much less!) the first week of July 2019. We left from the Deer Creek trailhead and headed up to Kaiser Peak, which is about a 3000 ft climb over 6 mi. Not too much snow until you got within sight of the peak, but it was easy enough to hike over or around any snow patches. All the lakes on the north side of the ridge were frozen, so we camped southwest of the peak at Line Creek Lake, which was partly frozen but beautiful. Following the trail from here was a little tough since snow covered sections of it, but we were able to pick it back up after short diversions. Route finding was not trivial but we managed to find the trail even though we were unfamiliar with this area. As the trail descends, snow becomes sparse and route finding is much easier. We took the side trail to Nellie Lake, where we camped for our second night. The lake was unfrozen and warm enough to swim in (barely!) and only half of the lake's banks were snow covered. We hiked back to the trailhead using the Mary's Meadow shortcut, which was a stunning area. This day of the trip had a few stream crossings that required some balance but nothing too difficult (rocks or a log were always present). Overall, gorgeous hike with great views, streams, and lakes! No mosquitoes or biting bugs when we went, and the wildflowers were BEAUTIFUL at this time. I would definitely recommend hiking counterclockwise because of the tricky route finding.

Figured there’d be some snow but there was a lot of snow! I went CCW to get the steep climb out of the way. Following the trail was impossible after about 3km but I persevered and the views were spectacular! The climb up to Kaiser Peak was much easier than the long descent in terms of route finding. Three river crossings required some commitment to find and cross over fallen tree trunks. Give this another month and it’ll be great! 4/5 because the less steep section doesn’t have the views. My YouTube video of the loop: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e5RkTK50HyM

Fri Aug 10 2018

This is brutal in the hot summer afternoon but the reward of beautiful views and Lakes were well worth it. Did this loop 8/8/18. I recommend (from Upper Deer Creek) going clockwise. Creeks still have some water. I did this in 2days; spent night one at Nellie Lake. The next day we hiked to the peak and around the other side of the loop to the car. After the peak the east side of the loop only has a little bit of water access from a creek after College Rock. Start early to avoid the heat.

Wed Jul 11 2018

I did this today as a solo dayhike in 8.5 hrs. It was among the best of many gorgeous hikes I've done in California. Awesome views much of the way, lots of lakes and creeks. Only 5 other hikers on the trail all day. I also made a detour to Nellie lake where I went for a quick swim to cool down.

Mon Jul 28 2008

Amazing hike, we did it in one day. We did it in 12 hours and moved at a moderate pace. It's exhausting, only do this if you love hiking. The gracier is beautiful. I did it with my dog, though I had to carry her at times. The last mile is bouldering up an avalanche chute and following cairns. Bring bug spray, the mosquitos are brutal as the day gets later.

Sun Nov 11 2018