Juniper Trail

Juniper Trail is a 1.9 mile lightly trafficked out and back trail located near Clayton, California that offers the chance to see wildlife. The trail is rated as moderate and primarily used for hiking, walking, nature trips, and birding.

Distance: 1.9 miles Elevation Gain: 728 feet Route Type: Out & Back

This is NOT a moderate hike. You will go about 1000 elevation gain straight uphill at one point. Very breezy up on the mountain despite day high of 100 degrees. There are areas without shade so make sure to bring a hat and sunscreen. I really enjoyed the hike nonetheless. Challenging but doable.

Trail not for begginers. But, still a great hike with breath taking views. We did a total of 7.3 miles in 4 hours and 12 minutes with three 11 year old boy scouts.

It’s rated hard but I would definitely consider it a medium. This is coming from a guy who picked up hiking 2 weeks ago. With the right shoes and some hiking sticks, you shouldn’t have any problems. Gorgeous views!

Beautiful hike and definitely recommend it. we dis it counter clockwise going from Eagle creek and coming down from Deer Flat and that was the best thing we did. thank you for all the previous recommendations to do this way. it was great for our knees as coming down is much easier. mostly the steep part in only first 3 miles or so on way back and rest is an easy walk. Going up is very steep and you definitely feel it but I would rather get the harder part in at the beginning instead of after 7 miles :). lot of shade on the trail especially going up. we could still see some nice wild flowers. Beautiful views all along. highly recommend it. I and my friend did this as part of the Norcal 6 peak challenge.

Nice wildflowers, really hot. Did counter clockwise to get the steep uphill out of the way first.

spectacular views all around. probably one of the best trails in the Bay Area

awesome trail. definatley do counterclockwise. I can't even imagine doing it clockwise, would be 90% incline with many parts scrambling up rocks. Lots of spots to stop and enjoy the view, bring lots of water you will need it.

Clear spring day with views of snow capped Sierra's and the Golden Gate bridge. Good water flow in the creeks and green rolling hills. Excellent hike

Went on a rainy, foggy day. Rain for the first 2-3 miles, then mist the rest of the hike. Only had my hood down for a mile or two. Going clockwise not advisable, as the grades are very steep. Other direction seemed more gradual. The summit was very windy and cold. No views the whole time. Going to waterfalls trail was impossible with the creek overrun. Was able to see some waterfalls going up the south side of the trail. Would go again later in the season and go counter clockwise to avoid the steep climbs. Bring trekking poles!

This mountain is no joke! Very beautiful, but lots of tough inclines (declines are better, but still challenging when you have jello legs, haha). Good luck!!

This is a good trail if you are staying at Juniper Campground and want to do something kind of short. It wasn't my favorite at Mt. Diablo, though. It was pretty, but we had to cross the road which made it seem like we weren't in the woods- and the destination was a parking lot. My sis and I took a side trail to Moses Rock on the way back- which made the trail a little more fun. Right now there is a downed tree going right across the trail at the beginning. it is not easy to go around, above, or below. Hopefully they'll fix that soon. There was snow, which was nice. I think summit trail is a better means of getting to the top of Mount Diablo. You can reach that trail from Juniper Campground, it's a little longer, though.