June Lake Loop Trail

June Lake Loop Trail is a 4.2 mile moderately trafficked loop trail located near June Lake, California that features a lake and is rated as moderate. The trail offers a number of activity options and is best used from May until October. Dogs are also able to use this trail.

Distance: 4.2 miles Elevation Gain: 1,233 feet Route Type: Loop

We went up the single track on a mountain bike... think we went the wrong way it was a tough climb and to not have single track down was a let down.

Amazing view overall though the trail itself is poorly marked near private property to include ski lift. Many other trails in this area to hike.

An 11 mile circular walk along both sides of one of the loveliest river estuaries in England, taking in Greenway, Agatha Christie's country home, and punctuated by a great lunch stop overlooking the river Dart, either as a picnic or a pub lunch at The Ferryboat Inn or Anchor Stone cafe in Dittisham. Or if the lunch gets out of hand, stop at the 5.3 mile point at the Ferry Boat Inn and catch the ferry back to Dartmouth from Greenway's Quay. Day hikes in Devon don't come much better than this.

Such amazing views of June Lake & Gull Lake! Uphill right off the bat and doesn’t quit until your basically at the top. We didn’t loop around because we could t get enough of that view!

Nice views. Some road walking involved.

Don’t do the loop. Go up and back. The trail down is a service road. Steep and slippery. Beautiful views however.

Hiked 07/06/19. Saw 2 mountain bikers and otherwise had the trail to ourselves. Heading clockwise, the 1st half is beautiful, very wooded with lots of tree cover. The turn is at the top where the lift/lodge is; after that it's just a dusty road with no tree cover. Although the Gull and June Lake views are spectacular from this part of the trail, if I were to hike it again I'd go back the way I came up - you'll get good views of the lakes from this part of the trail, also. And yes, the incline will get your heart rate going, but if you've got decent fitness and fair hiking experience it's totally manageable. I was glad I had my poles for the incline.

From the firehouse we climbed to the ski lift and returned the same. No chance to warm up as the ascent begins immediately. Beautiful views of June lake, the peaks, and ridges surrounding.

Nice hike. This trail is also used by mountain bikers. The 1st mile is very hard up hill, but with enjoyable views of Gull Lake and June Lake. We opted to try the entire trail rather than turn around when we got to June Mountain. We used GPS to locate where the main trail cuts off the access road. (This is a road used by the mountain's maitinance year round.) The trail disappears in several spots, but be patient and use your GPS to find it again. Several people before us went off trail at the ravine, but the trail does continue ahead. When you arrive at the pumping station, stay to the right of the water tank and the rest of the trail is easily marked back into town.

Lovely loop trail, completely snow free in last week of June. The first half is along a good trail through the forest, with excellent views across the lakes which disappear later. At the top of the loop the trail becomes the unmade access road to the ski lift, and I can understand why some hikers prefer to return the same way. However, the second half of the loop gives open views across June Lake to Mono Lake which are not seen from other parts of the route, and it would be a shame to miss these. The junction to the right halfway down is not obvious, even when using GPS, and I suspect was just a random turn to cut off the corner in the main track. We continued down the track to the road, which does at least provide the opportunity for beer or ice cream, or whatever other poison you choose! This amended route comes to 5.5 miles, and 1,365 ft of climb and descent.

Parking off the 158 across from the fire department, the trail goes 1230' up hill all the way to the Ski lift. I would advise to simply turn around and head back at this point. The trail down is a slippery dirt road and the trail at the 3.1-3.3 mile mark no longer exists. I ended up walking down off trail to the road and walking through town back to our parking spot.

recorded June Lake Loop Trail

had to turn around at 1.2 miles, snow pack

Sunday, September 23, 2018

Warning!! Not a good loop! Once you hit the ski runs turn around and take the same trail back to your car. We ended up walking down a steep downhill dusty road and then back along the main road through town. Would not recommend.

Sunday, September 16, 2018

We just finished the trail and just about completed the whole loop. The track down from ski lift wasn’t great but offered some more great views from a different angle. We finished with a very short stretch of road as wanted to go back via shop! Following gps was good advice

Sunday, September 16, 2018

Hard uphill for first 30 min. Gorgeous trail that comes out to June Lake mid ski lodge. Wanted to do loop so put on GPS. Easy to follow map. Goes down road. Would recommend in and out hike for the beauty.

Sunday, September 02, 2018

Did it yesterday. When we arrived June Lake, we did not have much time left for the day so decided to do this one, instead of the originally planned Fern Lake Trail. We followed the reviewers' advice and turned around when we hit the ski lift area (1.2 mile). The view overlooking the June Lake and Gull Lake was very nice. The trail itself was not difficult, and we're pretty fit and fast hikers in general, but the first uphill was a little drag for us than usual, since we were just getting out of the car after sitting for 6 hours till right before, and we were from the very sea level (a few blocks away from the Bay), so felt the altitude difference. We left the trail head at 5:40 pm, reached the turnaround point (ski area) at 6:50 pm, and got back down to the trail head at 7:35.pm, exactly as we planned since the sunset time was around 7:30 pm. Very nice sunset mood. No single hikers on the trail.

Saturday, September 01, 2018

The initial uphill was tough but rewarding when you get to the top. I agree with a previous reviewer that you should treat this as an out and back - when you hit the sky fields turn back. The trail is not marked down through the chalet and down the road, it wasn’t very scenic going down the dirt road and the offshoot trail hasn’t been maintained in a long time - we only managed with GPS and then you’re on the shoulder of the road.

Wednesday, August 08, 2018

did the loop today it was a great hike, uphill wasn't that bad, was harder walking down the road back.

Saturday, July 28, 2018

This trail was steep and challenging the first two miles however the view made up for it. It was very rewarding! Once you reach the ski resort, the trail gets lost and it’s difficult to stay on track. I recommend using the app to guide you. My bf and I had to follow other trails that were more manageable and connected to the main trail eventually. Overall, I recommend this hike :-) Tip: Wear good hiking shoes ( I wore my favorite hiking sandals but it began to rain and my feet got muddy)

Saturday, June 17, 2017

I would only recommend this trail as an out and back, and only if you are looking for a good workout in the first 2 miles of elevation climb. My suggestion would be to turn around once you hit the ski resort. The trail is not marked at all after this so unless you have the GPS loaded with the map, you will either take an unshaded dirt road all the way back, or find yourself on federal land. The actual trail back, should you find it, is in poor condition with the remaining section leaving you walking on the shoulder of the road. The first 2 miles do offer nice views of the lake and shaded forest, and like I said it was a great workout for the first 1200 feet or so of straight up elevation climb with only a few switchbacks along the way.

Tuesday, June 06, 2017

Great views, the quintessential June Lake experience. Loved the change in landscape we got with the changes in elevation. There's a little bit of everything from desert sagebrush to evergreens and aspen grooves. There were some snow patches and seasonal streams and temporary lakes made of snowmelt. Paused the recorder a few times to take it all in and forgot to unpause so my recording is a bit spotty. We ended at the closed ski resort and then took the service road back down. Did not see another soul until we got to town. Walked back to our car through town with a pit stop at June Lake Brewing. Great hike to see all this area has to offer!

Monday, May 22, 2017

Trail and parking starts out across the street from the fire station. Steep start but levels out. The trail was still a bit snowy as it was a record snowfall season. Once we made it to the ski resort it was too snowy to continue to the Yost Creek Trail so we took the dirt road down until we hit the cutback trail into town, this was all dry. To top off the afternoon we had O'Hana's Food Truck and June Lake Brewing! :)